Choose as many as you like  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Choose as many as you like

• A good cruise director makes my cruise
    • Without a good cruise director my cruise is ruined
    • I see the cruise director on deck and around the ship a lot
    • I don't much care if I have one or not
    • I've never had a good one so I wouldn't know

[quote name='Pam in MA']The only CD I've ever really noticed was the CD on our Regal cruise to Hawaii last April/May. The CD's name is Chris and I know he's moved on from the Regal since then. I thought he was very good in that he kept everything running smoothly and you weren't as aware of him as an entertainer but more as a "Director," making sure everyone was having a good time and had enough to do. He was around and talking to passengers from early morning to late at night.[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't by any chance have been Chris Nichols, would it? We had him on our first Tahitian Princess cruise and he was by far the best CD we have ever had on board. Graham Seymour is very good but can be a bit outrageous at times. I really liked Chris because he got involved with the passengers and made certain we enjoyed ourselves. He also has a terrific singing voice as well as not telling any stale old jokes which I have heard from other CDs.

When we have a bad CD I have a hard time remembering their names. We had a bad one on the cruise we just had in November and I already forgot his name.

I can't really say that a Cruise Director had ever "made" a cruise better than it already was.....until we cruised with Richard Joseph! :D On the Coral Princess last February, I found him simply wonderful. He was terrific at his job and made every talk and show a good time. He is presonable, caring and likes to meet and mingle with the passengers. His "Morning Show" was hysterical and I looked forward to watching it each morning. Richard also has an incredible knowledge about the cruise industry. He does a lecture with slides and I found it fascinating.

On all my other cruises, the Cruise Director was up on stage and then disappeared for the rest of the time between activities. Richard almost always was available for questions and passenger interactions.

I would never have thought about booking a cruise based on a Cruise Director but I can tell you now that if I had a choice narrowed down to a couple of ships, I would make the deciding factor Richard! :D :D

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
Our CD on the Diamond (Alaska, May '05) was a Brit named Bobby. The 22 May sailing got off to a disastrous start. No body on board, except Bobby and his entertainers and our cabin steward seemed to care if the passangers lived or died. He and his people did everything possible to keep us caring until Alaska could work its magic. They were a big part of the reason why we wound up enjoying cruising.

We are going back in May on the Coral.:) :)

Personally, I did not like Graham at all. I felt he was full of himself. We also bought a horse at the horse races. The way he ran the race was the worse job ever. If he doesn't want to run the races he should turn it over to one of his staff, any one of them could have done a better job. I watched his morning show once and that was enough for me. Different strokes for different folks.
Skitter

[quote name='llandaff']I just want to put in a plug for Chris Nicholl ..... returned from the Island Princess in October and Chris was great. A good runner up to Mark Ianazzo. I prefer CDs who are sociable but not over-the-top and trying to crack jokes every minute. Chris has just the right balance....and also has a great singing voice.

Vicki.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Chris is the best CD we have had on any of our previous 16 Princess cruises. He was on the TP two years ago. Would love to see him again.

We sailed on the Carribbean Princess (Labor Day) Hurricane Cruise that was cut short due the weather and we had Graham Seymour who was outstanding. We esp. enjoyed him at our Island Night party at the aft Pool area. Hope to sail with him again on one of his ships in the future.

We will be on the Island Princess in March '05 to Hawaii, does anyone know who the CD will be??

On our 30 days cruise from LA to Sydney (Dec 2004) we had Alistair Greener and Frankie as CD. Even though we introduced our group CC and invited them to our meetings they did not seen to acknowledge us as a group. Frankie ran up to our second last meeting for about 2 minutes and said he had to go and we never saw anyone again.

This was our first time in the CC group and we enjoyed meeting everyone which made our cruise memorable but we were disappointed at the lack of interest by CDs.

How about Princess cruises looks into this? People who were on other CC cruises said that some cruise lines make them feel very welcome and offer refreshments and rooms for their meetings etc.

Just remember Cruise Lines we are the regular travellers.

Ray & Mirella

[quote name='ssbeagle']Does anyone know who the CD is on the Star Princess now? We are going on Mar 20th.[/QUOTE]
Neil Roberts is CD currently. He did nothing to really make an impression on us, and the staff in general was pretty lackluster we thought. Never saw him around the ship except for when he was onstage introducing acts. His "morning show" just consisted of him reading the daily Patter and "interviewing guests", such as the onboard boutiques manager with the daily shop deals/specials. Zzzzzzzzzz...

[QUOTE=Luvcrusin']We will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess 3/5/05 - does anyone know who is the CD for this sailing? Perhaps someone who just sailed her might know?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]
Currently it's Graham Seymour who's been our favorite (and really only memorable) CD out of 3 Princess cruises and 1 HAL cruise. He can be a bit over-the-top but we tend to like that kind of humor anyhow (very British). We saw him all over the ship and he's very personable and will stop to chat and ask how the cruise is going. His staff, we thought, were also very gregarious and really reflected his style. We can't wait to see him again in June, assuming he's still there. :D

[quote name='Northender']Me either (lol). Are we supposed to know who they are??????? Or are we supposed to care who they are?????[/QUOTE]
They don't "make" or "break" a cruise, but all things being equal we'd take a ship with a CD and staff whom we enjoy and makes the trip that much more fun. Just like some people couldn't care less what the ports are, they just want to stay onboard and sip cocktails by the pool.

Now, the "who's the captain" questions I don't get, unless you're getting married by him... :cool:

Hi All
Thought I would be the one to tell you before you hear the rumours. But I am infact leaving / resigning from princess, I will be leaving March 5th. I have had a great 6 years with them but now feel its time to try another challenge, There has been interest elsewhere yet I can't say too much at this stage.

Wanted to thank you as always for your support and kind words.....and for those that didn't like me..... at least I made an impression for you to write about it :o)

Will write more when things play out

Be well

Graham x

Archived