Choose as many as you like  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Choose as many as you like

• A good cruise director makes my cruise
    • Without a good cruise director my cruise is ruined
    • I see the cruise director on deck and around the ship a lot
    • I don't much care if I have one or not
    • I've never had a good one so I wouldn't know

[quote name='Druke I']Different perceptions for different people.

Years ago (1989), Billy Hygate was CD on a trans-Pacific on the old Sea Princess (originally Kungsholm, later Victoria, now Mona Lisa), and both my wife and I thought (and still think) Billy was one of the best CDs we had seen. Always about, very socialable, and a good entertainer in his own right. His wife, a choreographer for Princess, was also aboard.[/QUOTE]

In 2000, Billy Hygate was CD on the Crown Princess to the Panama Canal. He's very talented. We enjoyed his singing, & looked forward to his joke telling every nite. He's one of my favorite CD's.

Minette

We enjoyed Billy Hygate, too. We have been on only five Princess Cruises, but so far, we have enjoyed all of the morning shows on each of the ships, even if we can't remember the name of the cruise director. Guess I'll have to pull out those old Patters that we saved................

My choice was "A good CD makes my cruise". This choice is not based on whether the CD is funny, sociable, can sing or dance (though having all these traits is a definite plus). It is all about how well the entertainment on the ship is run. Are the cruise staff happy campers? Are the guest entertainers excellent or poor? Are the entertainment activities diversified, well organized and well run? I have had wonderful times on some cruises and I couldn't tell you the name of the CD but I've also been aboard when the CD wasn't up to snuff (IMHO) and I could name those names in a heartbeat. Thankfully there are only a couple.

Wendy,
Not really.
I am speaking primarily of the "hardware" of the ship. The "hardware" of the ship is a priority to me. I realize that different passengers will have different priorities. I should have made myself more clear.
Some of the items that I enjoy now that I could not in the past have nothing to do with the CD's:
Lower pricing of cruises....More prevalent are larger cabins ....balconies.....seating areas in standard cabins...refridgerators...bathtubs...varied eating venues...better shows (OK, I will give the CD partial credit for this HOWEVER, the ship design dictates howe elaborate the show design can be)....
better gyms and spa's...and many others.

Steve Hayes

[quote name='WendyG']"However, with the ships today there are so many things to partake of that I do not need a CD to lead me around."

[COLOR=Purple]
The CD [B]is[/B] the reason there are so many things to partake in![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Purple]Sorry Steve...I stand corrected! :)

I thought you meant activity-wise....I was on the Sun princess last Thanksgiving and that was the most boring cruise I have ever had. I thought it was the cruise director. He was non-existent. Coincidentally, he no longer works for Princess...no loss there![/COLOR]

Wendy,
You were not wrong at all. After I read my initial post I knew that I did not explain myself well at all. I thought that I also sounded like a snob.
I think a CD is very important to the activities onboard AND I think they are especially important for passengers that are new to cruising and/or passengers that partake of all the activties.
I have to admit that I have become jaded over the years as the CD's seem not to have anything new that I have not already done many times prior, thus my response of them not being important to me.

my 'greatest' vote goes to Brian Price and Dan Gibbons -----

Brian not only scheduled some great activities, but was 'out there' meeting and greeting (and when it came to the 'greeting', he remembered names and made it a personal hello ---- really making you feel like more than just a passenger)

Dan did much of the above too (with the possible exception of remembering names), but I think we would have thought him marvelous, regardless of that 'extra mile', since he followed a CD (we did a back to back) who not only did very little, was never 'around', and didn't schedule great activities, but DID NOT EVEN RESPOND when people tried to communicate with him (by voice mail or 'mail')

I just want to put in a plug for Chris Nicholl ..... returned from the Island Princess in October and Chris was great. A good runner up to Mark Ianazzo. I prefer CDs who are sociable but not over-the-top and trying to crack jokes every minute. Chris has just the right balance....and also has a great singing voice.

Vicki.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Mike A']I too feel that the CD has not meant much on a cruise with one exception, Carnival's John Heald.
John is to Carnival what Graham Seymour appears to be for Princess. I have had John twice 1st as an Asst CD on the Jubilee then as CD on the Maiden of the Triumph. He is laugh out loud funny. He is worshipped on the Carnival Board the way Graham is here.
I never thought anyone could be better than John. Has any one sailed with both (Chris)? I hope to find who I believe is the best when I am on the Caribbean Princess in January. It is my understanding that Graham will be back from vacation by then.[/QUOTE]

we went on the Carnival Imagination 1996 with CD John Heald and that guy just brings life into almost anything. He made our New Years cruise awsome......He's happy crazy

[quote name='Bluedevilump']Does anyone know where Billy Hygate is now? Who is the current CD on the Dawn Princess?[/QUOTE]
Billy Hygate is off the Diamond Princess taking care of family issues, but is expected to return to the Diamond by mid-January.

• 2 weeks later...
Baxter --->

The Cruise Director on the Grand Princess in March should be
[color=red][b]Tim Donovan[/b][/color]. He'll be on vacation December 9th through about
February 5th or so. You'll love [color=red][b]Tim[/b][/color]. He is so personable and
energetic. He's very visible throughout the whole cruise. I
seemed to run into him alot. And he always had a smile on his
face. He really cares about the passengers & wants everyone
to have a great cruise !!! I can't say enough good things
about him. ** Great Guy ** :p

By the way: Be sure to attend the Island Party Wednesday
night at the Aft Pool. That's a party not to be missed!!
And the Champagne Waterfall Thursday night is awesome.
It's worth staying up late for.

[quote name='Adamcruises4life']Peter ............ Donna .............. Sunni ........... anyone recognize these names?[/QUOTE]

If they were on Sea Princess in Spring 2001, then YES!!! They were the best! When we were on the Diamond Princess in October, we recognized Donna, but couldn't remember her name. At the Captain's Club reception my DH asked if she was Smurf. Her mouth dropped, but she was delighted we recognized her. Said it was her favorite group to work with. She also said that Peter was just back with Princess (didn't say what he'd been doing).

Anyone know who's on the Star P. right now? We're going in 3 weeks.

How can you find out who will be your cruise director on a particular sailing? I think I recall reading that on our Jan. 6th Sapphire cruise we will have Alistair Greener. If that is true, we have something to look forward to because I feel the CD's can really add to and liven up the activities/shows, etc.

I have had the pleasure of cruising with Graham Seymour, Alistair Greener, and Tim Donavon before. Was looking to see if anyone knew who the cruise director on the Golden princess is now. Was thinkinking of cruising on this ship next year.

Just off the CP with Graham and funny but a little over the top during the talent night and If I weren't upon the ship. Don't mind the humor but the strict in-laws walked out of it. Thought Tim Donavan was easier to listen to and more tactful. Watching Tim during the horse races and his little dide he sings is too much. Scott as. CD on CP is fun, and will do a great job as CD if the time comes.

Cruise directors are like everything else in life I think...if they were all the same, what fun would that be? I was on CB 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved Graham and his crazy, silly humor. It made a great cruise even better.

• 3 weeks later...
Dan Gibbons......I see he is still on The Sun.
Reason he actually made me laugh all the time..........that in my books, is a good recommendation.
Dan also stood at the exits of the Princess Theatre to hear comments about the shows...

Archived