Choose as many as you like  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Choose as many as you like

• A good cruise director makes my cruise
    • Without a good cruise director my cruise is ruined
    • I see the cruise director on deck and around the ship a lot
    • I don't much care if I have one or not
    • I've never had a good one so I wouldn't know

..................i just realized something, I am not sure there WAS a CD on Mercury? (celebrity)

..................the only thing I saw the CD on Star do was intro a couple of the shows and wrap up a couple. Perhaps that is all they do do. Actually some of this fellows jokes were do do.

With the exception of the infamous Graham Seymour, none have really had a measurable effect on my cruise. They have all been competent, had good staff working with them, and been able to adjust quickly to changes in itinerary. Like most service jobs, it would be much easier to recognize a poor performer, and difficult to recognize those who are anything less than outstanding.

We had Graham on our first, and who knows on the second. The third had a lot of sea days, so the CD was more important to us. Can't recall his name, but he was British and a "Graham wannabe". He tried hard and was around a lot.

I understand that Graham will be back on the Carib Princess for our 11/13 sail, and we are looking forward to it. :D

Graham is funny, But I think it is the english accent that I like so much!! :eek: Years ago, they were everywhere. At the pool, at the buffet....But now, it is a morning show, and at the evening shows. But cruising has changed. I couldn't cruise many years ago when just the rich went, but the CD had much entertaining to do then. I don't think the cruisers today need that direction anymore. We know what we want to do and don't need our hand held to do it. The eving shows are great, and I think they still do the pool thing during the day. That may break up the monotony of the day. I hang out in the back!! :eek: :D

Graham was great, but that British accent finally got to both of us. For some reason Rob, British accents send our nerve endings into total shut down after having to listen to one for almost two weeks from a Brit with nothing interesting to say a while back. ARG! But I agree, except for the accent, that guy is certifiable. LOL

I find them all annoying - some more annoying than others. And the morning show - I just can't watch it.

I had a chance to have lunch with CD Trev on one of my cruises at one of the most traveled parties. I found him annoying as a CD (like the others) but at lunch - he was a very delightful, nice person.

I never used to think that a cruise director mattered much --- until I got a chance to sail with 2 really good ones. Alistair Greener on the Grand Princess in 2001 was exceptional, and Tim Donovan in January 2004 was just as good. Both were hard working, funny without being over the top, and personable -- we saw them everywhere. Tim stopped to chat with us the first formal night, and he remembered my husband's name for the rest of the cruise, greeted him with it whenever we saw him around the ship (which was often.) I don't think I would choose a ship or itinerary on this alone, but a good CD does add to a cruise. We've never sailed with Graham, unfortunately ---

I have to agree with Coral about the morning show. I wanted to get some entertainment/information and it was two chuckleheads entertaining themselves. ugh. I liked the rest of the cruise directors staff, but the CD and his assistant were just plain annoying. I can't say that I have even noticed the CD on other cruises.

The people that really get on my nerves are the port shopping people. Throw 'em overboard:eek:

I have two that I really enjoyed - John Lawrence usually does the Baltic Cruises because he is an expert on the area and gives excellent talks on the ports. J J King is a very visible people person without being obnoxious and is a tremendous entertainer.

Barbara

Voted "middle of the road", but do admit that an exceptional cruise director can do wonders for a cruise.

Most of the cruise directors are OK - but not outstanding. A couple are duds, in my opinion, but well-liked by others.

Very subjective area.

Michael

I think an exceptional CD makes my cruise more enjoyable. With Graham, he was always around and to me, was part of the entertainment.

I've had others who were just doing their job and that is ok, but one w/personality is a true bonus.

I can't remember a single one. We are not like the late nite people so don't mix to much with the staff. They have'nt a clue who we are.

We can read, and never watch them in the am since they are just really anoying.

I think that a good one can make a cruise, but an invisible one has never affected one for me. Graham had such a huge presence on board that it was hard to not notice him and think he was just the greatest. However, he is the first CD that I remember his name and what he was all about since Alex on the Fascination years ago.

I just hope that I'm not totally spoiled by sailing with Graham!

"but that British accent finally got to both of us. For some reason Rob, British accents send our nerve endings into total shut down after having to listen to one for almost two weeks "

Thanks very much!!!!!!!! not ...Toto2Kansas

sorry guys but Graham is probably one of my least favorite cruise directors. I hated the way he did the horse races and never saw him anywhere during the day. He introduced the shows at night and we saw him in the disco with the service staff and in the non smoking area with cigarettes. My friends found him abrasive and not very friendly. It wasn't just an off cruise because I have been on 3 times with him. My all time favorite is John Lawrence. He is funny and charming, personable and has a good singing voice. Tim is too loud for me and friendly only if he feels he needs to be. Allistair was nice but then he was trained by john lawrence.

I too feel that the CD has not meant much on a cruise with one exception, Carnival's John Heald.

John is to Carnival what Graham Seymour appears to be for Princess. I have had John twice 1st as an Asst CD on the Jubilee then as CD on the Maiden of the Triumph. He is laugh out loud funny. He is worshipped on the Carnival Board the way Graham is here.

I never thought anyone could be better than John. Has any one sailed with both (Chris)? I hope to find who I believe is the best when I am on the Caribbean Princess in January. It is my understanding that Graham will be back from vacation by then.

Archived