anyone worried about the salt air and their cameras?

bakechef

I have a couple of people who I am cruising with soon, and they are thinking about not bringing their good digital cameras because they are worried about the humid salt air possibly ruining their cameras. My question is are these worries justified? I told them that lots of people live at the beach and I am sure they are not constantly replacing their digital cameras.

I am taking my best camera because, heck we will be in the beautiful Caribbean and I couldn't imagine missing all of those great shots.

I suggested on their beach excursions to maybe buy a waterproof disposable if they are worried about sand.

What do you guys think?

MAC

When we go to the tropics, the main enemy is humidity. Not just humidity in general, but the fogging caused by exiting your AC'd room into the hot humid exterior.

I fixed this a while ago by buying a small heating pad for a reptile terrarium and leaving it at the bottom of my camera bag, plugged in. When I grab my camera to go out, it's already at 95° - 100° and never fogs up.

Salt spray is another issue. I have taken my DSLR on whale-watching tours with a Tenba rain jacket on it and a UV filter protecting the front element, but I'd never take it on a jet-boat ride or a white-water rafting trip.

Since I don't really like the beach, I've never has to deal with that issue, but several people on this board have suggested AquaPac products.

You're on the right track with your plan to take the good camera...what did you buy it for anyway?;)

Happy shooting!

Dave

I agree with Dave. I you take precautions, your DSLR will be OK. He is corrcect about the humidity. Warming the camera before leaving your cabin is a must. I have been unable to find a small reptile heater and use an old type, (with bulb), night light.

Dave, I am cruising again in a month. If you can give details on your heater I may have time to find it. All those I have seen in the pet stores are too large. I use a Tamrac Tek packpack so something 3-5 inches long is required. Thanks.

No problem with regards to salt air. A little bit of logical care goes a long way. I cruise often, and also live near the ocean, so I am almost always in salty air. Most cameras nowadays are built out of plastics, and if metals are involved they are usually aluminums or titaniums - all resistant to salt corrosives. If you are shooting in a salt-misty area with the camera, all it really needs is a nice, gentle wipe-down when back in your cabin.

I would recommend getting a skylight or UV filter if you don't already use one, though. Filters aren't really required on a digital camera for the most part, but these come in more handy as protection for the expensive and coated lenses. If salt and sand get on your lens, and you go to rub it off, you could scratch the lens or damage the delicate coatings. So protecting the glass of the lens behind a good UV filter which has no effect on your shooting is something I've always done on all my cameras. If I scratch or damage something while cleaning off the camera, the worst thing I'll damage is the UV filter, which can be easily replaced.

As for humidity - that will be a problem on cruises. Most people keep their rooms cool and unless cruising northern climes in the spring, fall, or winter, the outside is likely to be considerably hotter and more moist. I never used any heating pads or anything, but I have a bit of a ritual I've always used with my cameras.

First, I always keep a silica gel pack in my camera bag. You can find them at almost any electronics store or online, and they go for less than $1 a piece...so it's cheap protection! They absorb moisture in the camera bag to help prevent damaging condensation inside the camera.

Second, I place my camera bag on the balcony when I wake in the morning to help it equalize temperatures while I'm getting ready or having coffee. If I'm in an outside non-balcony room, I put it on the window shelf to heat in the sun. If your in an inside...well I guess you're out of luck! ;)

Dave, I am cruising again in a month. If you can give details on your heater I may have time to find it. All those I have seen in the pet stores are too large. I use a Tamrac Tek packpack so something 3-5 inches long is required. Thanks.

I found mine (Zoo-Med) at a local PetSmart.

Online I found one at PetCo. Here's a link: KRITTERS SAUNA ZONE

And at Global Pets: ZOO-MED 4"x5" HEATER

Their shipping is about the same but the Zoo-Med heater is only $10

Wasn't there a Peanuts book titled, "Happiness is a warm camera"?:D

Dave

I have been taking photos on ships and around ships for more than 20 years now both with digital and film cameras. I have never had a camera damaged because of the salt air or the sea. Since one is carrying it around more than normal, there is a greater chance of damage due to wear and tear and accidents such as dropping the camera.

If you are in a situation where there is a great deal of salt spray such as riding in an open tender, you may have to clean the lense. However, even this is rare.

I have had humidity problems with video cameras but not with digital or film cameras.

Best of luck.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info everyone, you have confirmed what I was thinking. I thought "there must be people who live near the beach with expensive cameras".

I will pass along your helpful info to my friends.

Thanks

Mike

OK, Dave, I'll admit that for just a minute, I pictured you walking around the ship with a looooong extension cord (since you said you keep the hitter plugged in):D

Seriously, though, what a good idea. We used to cruise a lot in the Caribbean and, often, did land trips to Virgin Gorda and I always had a problem with fogging. The only thing now that I can't figure out is what to do when I get out of my air-conditioned car with the camera and it fogs up. Guess I could leave it in the very hot car, but I've always been afraid to do that.....:)

... The only thing now that I can't figure out is what to do when I get out of my air-conditioned car with the camera and it fogs up.....:)

A loooooooonger extension cord?

Seriously, yourself...when I'm in an AC coach on a tour, I just hold the camera close to my body or tuck it on the seat between Kim & I to keep it warm. In a car, setting it on the floor in the back seat where it isn't all that cool works ok. If you're using a compact, just get a lanyard and wear it around you neck. It doesn't need to be hot, just warm enough to avoid fog.

Dave

While I can't disagree with any of the reasons why you shouldn't expose your babies to moisture, in the event that you do you may get a pretty cool shot out of it. After I snapped this one, I took of the filter and let her sit quietly in her bag until she warmed up to the new surroundings. Will definitely allow temp and humidity adjustment next time. :o

IMG_2885.jpg

?action=view&current=IMG_2885.jpg

IMG%5D

Archived