URGENT Glow Worm Caves and Air Deviations

wblevin

We are booked on the Mercury in January and the TA is demanding we confirm air travel deviations today - which I think is really weird considering that we haven't even made final payment.

Anyway - We arrive in Auckland at 7am (ish) on Sunday morning. I believe the glow worm caves are about 2-2/1/2 hours from Auckland - something we would really like to see. After debarkation - and hopefully we would get our own tour to the caves, will we have enough time to make it back for a flight at 7:30 pm from Auckland? Is there anything else (I haven't had the time to do a lot of research on the ports yet) that I shouldn't miss that would keep me in Auckland till Monday vs. leaving Sunday evening??

Thank you all so much!

Honestly, I would stay in Auckland at least one night (we stayed two additional nights) Auckland is a wonderful city and has so much to offer. We used a private tour company for a one day excursion to the Glow Worm caves. The tour, by private car (they picked us up at our hotel) included a wonderful lunch and a stop in the botanical gardens in Hamilton. It did take all day, but I imagine you could just do the caves (although I think that driving 5 hours there and back for a 90 minute or so cave experience may not be worth it.) If you'd like the name of the tour company, etc. just post back and let me know.

We are booked on the Mercury in January and the TA is demanding we confirm air travel deviations today - which I think is really weird considering that we haven't even made final payment.
This will be because the cruise line needs to make reservations on the flights that you want before they sell out in the booking classes that the cruise line needs, even though the flights will not be paid for until closer to the time of travel. But to make the reservations, the cruise line needs to know which flights you want!
Anyway - We arrive in Auckland at 7am (ish) on Sunday morning. I believe the glow worm caves are about 2-2/1/2 hours from Auckland - something we would really like to see. After debarkation - and hopefully we would get our own tour to the caves, will we have enough time to make it back for a flight at 7:30 pm from Auckland?
This is a bit optimistic, IMHO. Allowing two hours for disembarkation, five hours for travel to/from the caves, two hours for check-in and an hour for margin, this gives you perhaps a couple of hours at the caves. Is that really worthwhile?

Anyway - We arrive in Auckland at 7am (ish) on Sunday morning. I believe the glow worm caves are about 2-2/1/2 hours from Auckland - something we would really like to see. After debarkation - and hopefully we would get our own tour to the caves, will we have enough time to make it back for a flight at 7:30 pm from Auckland? Is there anything else (I haven't had the time to do a lot of research on the ports yet) that I shouldn't miss that would keep me in Auckland till Monday vs. leaving Sunday evening??

Thank you all so much!

Don't even think of going to Waitomo Caves the day your flight departs! What STRESS.....definitely spend 1 or 2 days in Auckland and enjoy a relaxed trip to Waitomo plus a look around the city. You need to be at the airport prior to 5.30pm. Have a wonderful holiday Anna

We quickly learned a valuable cruising lesson after our first cruise - arrive in your debarkation port (if it's not local) at least the day before. This removes all stress of worrying about airline delays and airport-harbor travel delays.

We're doing a NZ-AUS cruise with HAL in October and we will arrive in Auckland two days prior to our sailing date. We'll have Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning to take in Auckland and the surrounding area.

• 2 weeks later...

mare.s,

Would you please give us a name of the private tour company in Auckland that you used for this tour. We are going to be there 2 more days after a cruise and would like to see this cave. You could post it here or e-mail me at tatyanal @ rogers. com

• 4 months later...

We did the Glow Worm Caves in 2005 and 2 hours there is plenty. It was not the highlight of our trip. It was okay but not worth spending a whole day on.

As for debarkation, we were on the Princess in Jan 2005 and debarkation was just terrible. We didn't get off the ship until just prior to noon as we were staying in Auckland a few days after the cruise. The ship arrived early but by the time we were called to leave, we had to push our way through all the embarking cruisers. Sitting there waiting for 4 hours in one of the public room wasn't very nice either.

Oh, we went to the Glow Worm caves that afternoon with another couple who were from England and could drive on the left side of the road. We chipped in for rental and gas. We were back at the hotel before 6 p.m. after the trip and we didn't leave until about 12:30 when they got the vehicle.

They were not very impressed either with the Glow Worm caves. We did have a nice lunch in a good restaurant on the way back (late lunch, very late.) Very friendly people.

Auckland itself is very nice and they have a boat tour right near the terminal building which is interesting and they even serve coffee, tea and cookies.

It is a harbour cruise. You just walk up and buy the tickets.

Archived