Who is the Marriott of cruise ships?

laidbackin LA

Somebody here said that Azamara is the Hyatt of cruiselines as compared to the Ritz. Seaborne and some others are supposedly the Ritz.

I like going to Marriott. Is there a line that compares to that level? I think I know what the Ritz is like, but have no experience with Hyatt.

My daughter just went on the RC 3-day Mexican cruise and HATED, HATED it. A very uncouth crowd and the atmosphere of an old-time Las Vegas Strip dive. CAN'T be the Marriott.

3 night cruises on ANYONE are awful - they attract a whole different crowd.

I would agree that RC and Princess would be a Marriott.

I would say that Carnival would be the Holiday Inn of the cruise lines

Easy Cruise is the Motel 6 of the cruise lines

Costa and MSC are probably the LaQuintas of the cruise lines

Who am I missing?

I would agree that it is the duration of the cruise, giving a negative impression and probably not the cruise line. Any three day trip on any ship would leave the same impression. We have tolerated it, knowing what we were getting ourselves into because we needed a quick break.

Carol

OK - I will switch things up a bit:

Easy Cruise= Motel 6

Carnival = Holiday Inn

NCL = Hampton Inn

RC or Princess = Marriott

Celebrity = Hyatt

Holland America = Doubletree

Azamara = W

Crystal - Ritz

Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent - Orient Express Hotels

SeaDream - Relais and Chateaux

Cruise West, Missippi Queen = A Bed and Breakfast

Easy Cruise= Motel 6

Carnival = Holiday Inn

NCL = Hampton Inn

Celebrity = Hyatt

Azamara = W

Crystal - Ritz

Azamara = W ????????????????????? What is W? :confused:

Easy Cruise= Motel 6

Carnival = Holiday Inn

NCL = Hampton Inn

Celebrity = Hyatt

Azamara = W

Crystal - Ritz

This is very useful, and I am familiar with W, living as I am in LA, where there is a W.

I wish I was familiar with Relais and Chateaux and Orient Express. Have to check them.

Is Hyatt better than my favorite Marriott?

3 night cruises on ANYONE are awful - they attract a whole different crowd.

I would agree that RC and Princess would be a Marriott.

I would say that Carnival would be the Holiday Inn of the cruise lines

Easy Cruise is the Motel 6 of the cruise lines

Costa and MSC are probably the LaQuintas of the cruise lines

Who am I missing?

MSC as LaQuinta??? Sorry, but after our cruise aboard MSC Lirica in January, we would place them much lower. Motel 6 maybe??

Easy Cruise= Motel 6

Carnival = Holiday Inn

NCL = Hampton Inn

Celebrity = Hyatt

Azamara = W

Crystal - Ritz

You'd put HAL a notch above X ... hmmmmm ... haven't sailed on X but (from what I've read) I think I'd switch those two.

My daughter just went on the RC 3-day Mexican cruise and HATED, HATED it. A very uncouth crowd and the atmosphere of an old-time Las Vegas Strip dive. CAN'T be the Marriott.

I would say that a three day cruise would not necessary represent the market set of a normal 7 day plus cruise on RCL. Normally shorter cruises attach the younger party your brains out since we only have three days. Not saying everyone on the cruise like that but....

Being a Starwood frequent traveler, I'd put Celebrity at a Westin and from the looks of it Azamara at a St. Regis. W is much too modern and slick for it to be Azamara from the pics I've seen. I'd also put RCCL at a Sheraton.

Being a Starwood frequent traveler, I'd put Celebrity at a Westin and from the looks of it Azamara at a St. Regis. W is much too modern and slick for it to be Azamara from the pics I've seen. I'd also put RCCL at a Sheraton.

That's my feeling about W: There is no cruise line edgy enough to be like W. Happy you graded Celebrity as a Westin. I like Westin's product and would agree with the comparison after my Feb Mexico cruise. I'll have to check out St. Regis.

W is pretty edgy but I can't quite go as high as St. Regis for Azamara. I have to think about this a bit more.

Carnival = K Mart

RCL = Macy's

Princess = Macy's

Hal = Macy's

Crystal = Nordstroms

I heard someone categorize the cruiselines into three groups:

"Beer and pretzel" lines (economy mass market lines?)

"Wine and cheese" lines (better mass-market lines?)

"Caviar and Champagne" lines (e.g. Seabourn, Crystal)

Well, my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...
Please make a cross-comparison of Celebrity and HAL with comparable hotels.

I personally would find that impossible. As I have been to some Marriotts that are very nice and some that I would not go back to if they gave me the room. And I could say the same thing about most average hotels, including Hyatt. I also agree that you should NEVER judge a cruise line on anything less than a 7 night cruise. RCCL is a very nice cruise line, above average in my opinion and ? a Marriott. Princess is a wonderful cruise line that I would also recommended to anyone, wonderful service, very nice food, etc. Azamara is probably the top of the 'main line cruise line' and "just below Azamara would be Celebrity and HAL; then RCCL, Princess, NCL, and last would be Carnival - all of this is my opinion only - others - I am sure would disagree.

I also think it can make a difference - sometimes - what ship you are on, what your itinerary is - and what YOU are looking for on a cruise.

• 1 year later...

Would definitely put Holland America over Celebrity. I value the staterooms, the sense of willing service, smiles and dining. I sent back my first ever meal on the Summit last December.

And three cheers for MSC, had an excellent dining staff (the Opera.) Staterooms really small but very well arranged. Costa is Charm. The Italian touch and general service atmosphere was a holiday in itself. One minor problem was attended to by the Hotel Manager, our stewards and the Maitre'd.

We're on NCL again because the nearby port, (Phila) itinerary and Freestyle Dining made it a 5 Star Winner. Since DH loves the uncheduled options, Azamara to Mexico might well be next.

Blessings,

Gail

Archived