Who is the Marriott of cruise ships?

laidbackin LA

Would definitely put Holland America over Celebrity. I value the staterooms, the sense of willing service, smiles and dining. I sent back my first ever meal on the Summit last December.

And three cheers for MSC, had an excellent dining staff (the Opera.) Staterooms really small but very well arranged. Costa is Charm. The Italian touch and general service atmosphere was a holiday in itself. One minor problem was attended to by the Hotel Manager, our stewards and the Maitre'd.

We're on NCL again because the nearby port, (Phila) itinerary and Freestyle Dining made it a 5 Star Winner. Since DH loves the uncheduled options, Azamara to Mexico might well be next.

Blessings,

Gail

And based on our HAL experience, I would place HAL somewhere around the Days Inn level, well below Celebrity. On our one HAL cruise, our cabin suffered repeated systems failures. Guest Relations and Customer Service could have cared less.

If the Goal of Customer Service is to influence long-term perception of a product, then HAL has been very successful where I am concerned; I have made it a point to avoid repeating my experience with them.

My daughter just went on the RC 3-day Mexican cruise and HATED, HATED it. A very uncouth crowd and the atmosphere of an old-time Las Vegas Strip dive. CAN'T be the Marriott.

My sons also went on this ship and hated it also. Saying that I don't think that this ship is an exception to most on the Royal Caribbean fleet.

So I realize I will probably get flamed for bringing this up - but this is kinda exactly what I was talking about in my trip report when I said "How do you define AZ?". I do think the best way to describe them would probably be a VERY nice airport Hilton. It's a good business class hotel with nice amenities and decent service and a good full service restaurant, but you are primarily using it as a place to sleep while you visit something else.

I would NOT define Azamara as a W hotel by any stretch of the imagination. W Hotel has a brand image of cutting edge, very hip and they often try to push the limit on the style in their public areas and rooms. Oh - and their main demographic is 30somethings with a ton of disposable income. :)

W is pretty edgy but I can't quite go as high as St. Regis for Azamara. I have to think about this a bit more.

Though I haven't sailed a couple of the lines, including Azamara, from the extensive reading/research I have done, I would agree that Azamara is unlike W (which i detest as a scam in which starwood charges lots of money for minimalism, as opposed to luxury, and I am smack in the middle of their target demo). I think Azamara is more comporable to Le Meridien (or perhaps a luxury collection, of the starwood brands), a bit more design and luxury than a Westin, but I can't imagine it coming anywhere near the level of luxury we've expereinced at various St. Regis resorts.

Incidentally, I feel that NCL is trying hard to replicate the "W" vibe, perhaps with limited success, but if it appeals to you and you don't mind the massive size of the ships, you might like the new F3 design.

Incidentally, I think the parent Celebrity line is somewhere between Westin and Le Meridien. Based on my only cruises with RCL (one a 3-day to mexico and one a 3day out of sinagpore) I would put it below a Sheraton, but as described elsewhere, the 3 day length may have altered our impression.

I rate cruises of two types:

1. Commodity cruise - the same ship goes to the same ports week after week. This could be a 4-day, 5-day, 7-day, or a 10-day cruise. The ships usually leave from and return to the same port. An example of commodity cruises are to the Carribbean and Alaska. I find the service, food, passengers, etc to be "ordinary". (please, I am not insulting any passengers here, they are usually "first time cruisers", "traveling with children", or generally new to cruisings. Or, they can be restricted timewise because of work and vacation time available).

2. Adventure cruising - port to port cruises (embark and debark in different cities around the world), "Grand" cruises, or cruises longer than 17 days. Here, I find the food and service to be "up a notch". The same menu is not served week after week. The crew begins to know you by name. The passengers are "older", sometimes retired, but have traveled extensively and are very interesting and knowledgeable.

Personnally, after 50 cruises, we prefer the smaller, more intimate ships rather than the bigger ships being built. I would agree with the posts above, we prefer HAL (not the VISTA ships or Eurodam - too big), Princess, and Azamara. We have not been on Celebrity nor Oceania, but I do hear good things about them.

You will NOT see me on Carnival or NCL - EVER!!!!

When traveling with extended family (of all ages), we prefer RCCL because they have the best activities for all ages and their food and service are good for the price paid.

As far as hotels, I travel all week and stay in hotels all week. I prefer the Hilton family of hotels, the Marriott family of hotels, Hyatt family of hotels. I try not to stay in the Best Westerns, Choice, Motel 6 chains.

Would definitely put Holland America over Celebrity. I value the staterooms, the sense of willing service, smiles and dining. I sent back my first ever meal on the Summit last December.

Blessings,

Gail

Agreed. HAL's customer service (especially pre-cruise) is superior to Celebrity.

Believe you are upscale from the middle here. Azamara is a niche within the grid from 6 star to 4 star. I have been on both end of this spectrum.

TO" Laidbackin LA. How did you enjoy your Asian trip on the Quest?

Somebody here said that Azamara is the Hyatt of cruiselines as compared to the Ritz. Seaborne and some others are supposedly the Ritz.

I like going to Marriott. Is there a line that compares to that level? I think I know what the Ritz is like, but have no experience with Hyatt.

Carnival ??

I love, love, LOVE the Relais & Chateaux hotels. You're forcing me to check out SeaDream! :D If they're half as good, I'm sold.

While the W hotel style is a bit edgy for comparison to Azamara, the level of service is pretty right on. Think maybe a Swisshotel as well for those of you not familiar with W.

And I'd agree with previous posters, ANY 3-day cruise attracts a different clientele. There's something about a $199 rate for 3 days that no one can turn down. Just know what you're getting into ahead of time, and plan for the beer bust that's likely going on around you.

Plus, and I don't know how others feel so I could be setting myself up for a flaming, but cruising has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. We used to be strictly RCCL cruisers, but the last few times I've been appalled at some of my fellow passengers behavior. I've upped my expectations by traveling with Celebrity and Azamara more often, as I'm more comfortable in that setting: smaller ship, better service. Or maybe I'm just getting older... ;) I don't think you're going to find me sailing on the floating housing project that is Oasis of the Seas!

I think Azamara is a Westin. Princess is a Sheraton, HAL is a Hyatt and Oceania is a St. Regis. I love the Oriental Hotels so I would presume that Silverseas or Seabourn would be up there with them. Crystal is also another classy line so I would put them with the Ritz Carlton hotels and Cunard has to be Raffles.

Jennie

And based on our HAL experience, I would place HAL somewhere around the Days Inn level, well below Celebrity. On our one HAL cruise, our cabin suffered repeated systems failures. Guest Relations and Customer Service could have cared less.

If the Goal of Customer Service is to influence long-term perception of a product, then HAL has been very successful where I am concerned; I have made it a point to avoid repeating my experience with them.

We sailed on Mercury when it was brand new and liked it very much. Sailed on the old Horizon 2 or 3 times and again liked it very much. Our last cruise on X was on the Summit and it was the WORST. From cleanliness, to service to food all just out and out bad. Based on that experience we would have to think long and hard about ever booking again with X. 10 nts and I can honestly say I could not wait until we got into a port and go to a restaurant to eat.

We have sailed on almost every cruiseline from the old Renaissance to Seadream and everything in between. Dollar for dollar it is hard to top HAL. Their ships are immaculate, cabins very large and possibly the BEST beds afloat. We like being able to take our own wine on board, being able to buy a laundry package for a small fee, ordering whatever we want from room service including steak and eggs or eggs benedict and always arriving hot, on time and with a smile. We like the fact that they have a dedicated movie theatre with very comfortable chairs and free popcorn. We love their real teak lower promanade deck with teak loungers, etc. etc. So, yes I would positively put it above X, Peincess, or RCCL.

We sailed on Mercury when it was brand new and liked it very much. Sailed on the old Horizon 2 or 3 times and again liked it very much. Our last cruise on X was on the Summit and it was the WORST. From cleanliness, to service to food all just out and out bad. Based on that experience we would have to think long and hard about ever booking again with X. 10 nts and I can honestly say I could not wait until we got into a port and go to a restaurant to eat.

We have sailed on almost every cruiseline from the old Renaissance to Seadream and everything in between. Dollar for dollar it is hard to top HAL. Their ships are immaculate, cabins very large and possibly the BEST beds afloat. We like being able to take our own wine on board, being able to buy a laundry package for a small fee, ordering whatever we want from room service including steak and eggs or eggs benedict and always arriving hot, on time and with a smile. We like the fact that they have a dedicated movie theatre with very comfortable chairs and free popcorn. We love their real teak lower promanade deck with teak loungers, etc. etc. So, yes I would positively put it above X, Peincess, or RCCL.

All I can say is that our experience with HAL was very different from yours. Add to that the fact that we have never had ( and I hope that we don't) a bad experience with either Celebrity or more recently with Azamara, I would have no reason to consider a return to HAL. We have found that the Celebrity/Azamara product is almost tailor-made for us and plan to stay with them as long as that's true.

Different strokes.

I'm glad you enjoy your cruises with X and as you say different strokes. With regard to Azamara I sailed on these vessels when they were in the Renaissance family. When a cruiseline aspires to be "luxury" class, maybe it's just me but, as a potential customer I am definitely looking for a cabin that is larger than 151 sq ft or for that matter 301 sq ft. Until Azamara addresses their cabin space they can't call themselves a luxury cruiseline IMHO. When we sail on HAL they offer a small suite of approx 330 sq ft with double sinks, whirlpool tubs, and a completely seperate large shower. Their larger suites are 540 sq ft with all of the above and include free laundry, a private suite lounge with wonderful food presentations thruout the day and evening. When I price these two categories against X there is a huge $$$ difference in what I will be receiving for my money. Priced against Azamara it becomes a joke. So, while i'm sure there are lots of X and Azamara fans who love the product, for us neither of these lines comes close to the value rec'd on HAL.

Our Azamara 1A or 2A veranda staterooms are both 175 square feet plus the veranda. We find the cabins to be very well designed and comfortable, although the bathroom certainly qualifies as small. Storage and closet space are more than adequate.

I cannot compare suites as I am far to cheap to spend the sort of money that that requires, but we have certainly been quite comfortable on both Azamara ships. Our recent cruise on the Quest was probably the best dollar for dollar value that we have ever had on a cruise.

As Rick Steeves says, " Keep on Traveling".

As a clarification, neither Oceania nor Azamara are designated as "Luxury" lines. They are in a class by themselves as "Deluxe" lines positioned between the Premium lines such as HAL and Celebrity and Luxury lines such as Crystal, Regent, etc. To compare them to the true Luxury lines is doing them a disservice as they aren't classified that way nor do they market themselves as such.

Somebody here said that Azamara is the Hyatt of cruiselines as compared to the Ritz. Seaborne and some others are supposedly the Ritz.

I like going to Marriott. Is there a line that compares to that level? I think I know what the Ritz is like, but have no experience with Hyatt.

It depends on which Marriott you are speaking of...JW Marriott is probably on par with the Hyatt. I would say Azamara is about that...or Celebrity.

As a clarification, neither Oceania nor Azamara are designated as "Luxury" lines. They are in a class by themselves as "Deluxe" lines positioned between the Premium lines such as HAL and Celebrity and Luxury lines such as Crystal, Regent, etc. To compare them to the true Luxury lines is doing them a disservice as they aren't classified that way nor do they market themselves as such.
We couldn't agree anymore!

Archived