Oh No! Heelies for Adults!!!!!!

Fun~N~Sun

i work at home depot. everytime i see kids rolling around the warehouse i always politely point out that they could have an accident and get hurt yada yada...one day this lady was totally nasty to me and she said she thought she could manage her own children so i just left her alone...about 15 or 20 minutes later i heard that the kid had rolled into the sliding glass door...ha! serves him right...i have always said that a good old fashion #2 pencil is all it would take...slide it under the wheel and watch um go down!

We were in Vegas a couple of weeks ago and saw MANY adults with them... they were even selling them in some of the kiosks (by Bally's I think). It's bad enough when kids go whizzing by (at least they're smaller than me!) but adults are another thing altogether!! If you're stupid enough to wear them, be considerate of the rest of us who choose not to risk our necks!!:eek:

I'm going to flame myself for this one, so don't bother, but I can't resist:

I'd say the new definition of natural selection is wearing Heelies on a cruise ship. And we wonder how people fall over. :D :eek: Drives me nuts when I see kids flying by after the decks have just been scrubbed down.

OOPS it looks like you tripped ...(Rufus sticks foot out for Unsuspecting Heely user Age not important as all are equally rude)

Heely user: Ouch #%&*I&*%$*^ you tripped me.

R: You seem confused did you hit your head? Are you ok? Lets call security

HU: You are going to be in trouble, you tripped me.

R: Roller skates are suitable for shore use, and not in a store either.

HU: I will punch you.

R. (Sticks out Chin) Feel free. I will have you set off the ship at the next port.

OOPS it looks like you tripped ...(Rufus sticks foot out for Unsuspecting Heely user Age not important as all are equally rude)

Heely user: Ouch #%&*I&*%$*^ you tripped me.

R: You seem confused did you hit your head? Are you ok? Lets call security

HU: You are going to be in trouble, you tripped me.

R: Roller skates are suitable for shore use, and not in a store either.

HU: I will punch you.

R. (Sticks out Chin) Feel free. I will have you set off the ship at the next port.

Rufus: you are entirely too funny for Carnival! Everytime I see a post by you I crack up! I can't stand those shoes! Grocery store, etc. but on a cruise ship? No way!

OK this may get me in trouble, but I have no problem with supervised kids using heeleys. My dd wears them at the mall or Target or whatever and hangs on to me or my shopping cart and just "coasts". She doesn't go racing down the aisles or taking off without me. The only mishap she's ever had was on the sidewalk outside my house when she rode them unattended once (wearing a helmet, just like with skates outside) and skinned her knee, like kids do on their bikes or whatever. In public, she's no more dangerous on those than I am with a shopping cart.

The problem with Heeleys is the same as the problem with everything kids do, IMHO: lack of supervision.

And, I'd totally buy a pair of Heeleys. I love them and think they're totally cool. Of course, I have manners and common sense and wouldn't ride them where I'd be dangerous to myself or others, like a cruise ship.

Any place would be a hazard. Can't see the fascination with such silly items. I am a court appointed advocate for children and would love to find a way to have these banned as I deem them extremely hazardous! Each to their own I guess. I can remember when I thought skateboards (and still do) should be banned. Can you say cautious and old fashioned!

I am a court appointed advocate for children and would love to find a way to have these banned as I deem them extremely hazardous!

I would think as a CASA, you would see a lot more awful things done with kids then buying them a pair of roller skates! :)

I saw an adult male in heelies at Disney World, he was appropriate and not a hazard, and it was a great way of getting around the park. I think there is a big difference in letting the kids put on their heelies and skate outside, I don't even see anything wrong with them going up to the jogging track and skating, as long as it's not crowded with joggers.

But I've also seen them in crowded airports with a mother on the cell phone and the kids going wild, and I've never seen them on a cruiseship, but I'd be very annoyed if they were wearing them inside or on the crowded Lido deck. Time and place for everything. Cheers, Carole

I can't believe it! As if those things weren't annoying enough! Let's hope adults have sense not to buy these things!

Well, I have just one thing to say about adults using heelies: Have ya seen the doofus adults on Funny Home Videos???:D YOU know the ones I'm talking about:

1. Trying to ride skateboards

2. riding their 2 year old's tricycle

3. on a child's bike, trying to go up a ramp

the list goes on and on!! These things belong to kids only, and bad things happen when adults try to do things that really belong to kids!!:D And now we have instant video and pictures from our phones!!;)

... and I've never seen them on a cruiseship, but I'd be very annoyed if they were wearing them inside or on the crowded Lido deck. Time and place for everything. Cheers, Carole

I don't see these things having any place on a ship. There are 4,000 people in this floating city. Hallways are fairly narrow and areas can become crowded. There are people on board who may have mobility issues and kids flying around on these things could be a danger to those who aren't as mobile. As far as the Lido deck and pool areas? Let's see, lots of water and wet floors = slippery, hmmm dangerous conditions for someone on any kind of skates as well as to those around him/her. I vote to leave them at home: adult or kid.

I hate to have to tell you this, but heelies were originally for adults, I had a pair about 6 years ago. My friends and I used them as an alternitive to skateboards when there was a lot of snow, but paths wide enough to skate on the heelies.

As for ANYTHING like this on a ship or where it could injure someone, it's just stupid.

I love this.....I'm going on a group in the fall so I went out and bougth 100 pairs of these yesterday.....

Our group has started a poool (with odds) of who will be the first to heelie overboard and how many will also do this during the cruise.....

There will be mucho drinking involved.......:D :p ;)

I can't believe it! As if those things weren't annoying enough! Let's hope adults have sense not to buy these things!

We were in Vegas a couple of weeks ago and saw MANY adults with them... they were even selling them in some of the kiosks (by Bally's I think). It's bad enough when kids go whizzing by (at least they're smaller than me!) but adults are another thing altogether!! If you're stupid enough to wear them, be considerate of the rest of us who choose not to risk our necks!!:eek:

The second quote is the answer to the first quote and the question by the OP.

As long as an article (silly as this) is manufactured and marketed, there will be someone willing to buy it.

I understand it being a toy and a gimmick for children. My daughter had a pair years ago, when she was 7, all the kids in our neighborhood did. They also got over them real quick, the only place they are really able to use them is on their own driveway, in a public place they were too dangerous.

People just love gimmicks and gadgets, it's the immature kid in them.

I highly doubt anyone will go flying over the railing of a ship while skating in these things. The rails are far too high in public areas. Now, if they are stupid enough to be skating on their own private balcony :rolleyes:

Well as long as adults know they should not be used on a cruise ship.. then no worries.. it is the adults that allow their kids to wear them that I worry about:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree with you more and I was the guilty party. I have a 9 year old that begged and begged for them so thinking how bad can they be . . . . They are a nightmare we are constantly at odds on them and I have now permenantly taken them away. Never again!!

Are we so lazy as a society that we can't change into roller blades when we want to skate and sneakers when we want to work out?

I only wear running shoes when I'm running or working out so I certainly wouldn't buy these things.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a pair for me...and I don't think they are appropriate for a cruise ship in any way shape or form--kids or adults.

But, if you think about it, they're just a form of roller skates.

Kids roller skating down the sidewalk (like we did back in the '70's) can be annoying as all get-out. Kids with heelies rolling down the sidewalk can be annoying as all get-out (and it does drive me nuts sometimes).

Seems like the same ol' argument my mom had back in the day...and oops...she roller skated too...back in the '50's!! :D

Kids love roller skates. I loved roller skates back in the day. It can be a fun way for kids to enjoy themselves while out and about.

I just don't think they are appropriate indoors--or at Disneyland.;)

Archived