flight times

sheriandbob

Hi all,,,we have our first cruise booked for December but I am getting antsy and cant wait. Found a cruise out of port canaveral in october and a CHEAP flight there. My only concern is the flight does not arrive in Orlando till 1:09pm. Is this doable or am I cutting it way too close?

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Hi all,,,we have our first cruise booked for December but I am getting antsy and cant wait. Found a cruise out of port canaveral in october and a CHEAP flight there. My only concern is the flight does not arrive in Orlando till 1:09pm. Is this doable or am I cutting it way too close?

It seems very close to me, especially since there has been alot reported in the news lately about flights and their on-time performance.

I personally wouldn't do it unless you could arrive the day before.

I would get an earlier flight. I'm not sure where you are flying from but storms in any part of the country and delay flights all over the US.

Or come in a day prior to your cruise.

Factors that you should consider:

1. Avoid any flights that have stops or changes. Use only non-stop. Every stop doubles your chance of getting stuck.

2. In case your flight is canceled or delayed, do you have an alternative? A later flight, or some cushioning? How many later flights would still get you ther on time?

3. Thunderstorms are common in Florida, especially in summer months. Usually they come in the afternoon, but sometimes they come earlier. And they always delay flights - all flights.

4. The first flight in the morning has a lesser chance of being delayed. Delays tend to get compounded throughout the day.

5. If the worst-case scenario happens, and you miss embarkation, do you have a back-up plan? Can you get to the ship's next port of call? Would your travel insurance cover the extra costs (hotel and flight)?

6. How are you getting from the airport to the port? I imagine that you are flying to Orlando, or perhaps Melbourne. Either one is at least 30-40 minutes to port. Are you taking a cab or driving yourself? Have you factored the time it takes to get your luggage, get a cab or a rental car, drive, and park at the port?

that is cutting it close... what transportation are you taking to the port? It is usually a 45 minute trip if you take your own vehicle so you have to factor that in as well as getting baggage, renting car, returning car, embark time, etc... PLUS if you are taking a transfer the last one leaves the airport around 130 pm.....

That is way too close. We went the day before, that way there we no travel pressure. We relaxed, slept in that morning and got to the port around 12. Remember, you get lunch once you get on the ship. Take advantage of that. We stayed at the Country inn and suites for a good price right near the port.

It takes 45-hour in GOOD traffic to get from MCO to Port Canaveral.

Will you get a shuttle, rent a car or have your own private car waiting? That would add time to it.

Baggage claim...another 30 minute - hour AFTER landing.

So BEST case scenario if you land at 1:09....get your luggage by 2pm and you are on the road and out the door IMMEDIATLY...you will arrive at 3pm for a ship that departs at 4pm...and that's the BEST case scenario

Add plane delay...delay on landing (waiting for the tower to clear the flight to land...happens to us all the time)...waiting for the plane to get to the terminal after landing (been stuck on the tarmac, waiting for other planes to clear the terminal) and NO weather problems or mechanical problems (also both has happened to us)

Fly in the day before. :D

I have a friend who was flying out of Los Angeles. She got delayed 24 hours because of a computer problem on the east coast that prevented her plane from getting to LA.

Plan on getting there the day before. A cruise is for relaxing, not tension.

DON

That would be too close to comfort for me, assuming the boat leaves at 4:00. If it was a non-stop flight, I'd consider it. Add any connections in & no way Jose! I ended up booking tickets flying into Miami the day before our cruise, because I couldn't find anything getting me there early enough at a reasonable price. It ended up being cheaper to fly into Miami on Friday & stay at the Marriot with a AAA rate. Consider doing that.

Hi, im actually doing the same thing, in Oct. it was all i could make work, i did however book, the transfer through carnival, Just to be on the safe side, suggest you do the same thing. The cut off time for Carnival pickup at the airport, is flight arriving at 1:30, (thats Ft lauderdale to Miami transfer, not sure if you said which port you were at) for 4:00 departure. I agree if you can change it i would, however i if you cant like i couldnt. Just hope for the best (pray), there is no point getting all stressed untill then. I know its not the best way to start.

I have a friend who was flying out of Los Angeles. She got delayed 24 hours because of a computer problem on the east coast that prevented her plane from getting to LA.

Plan on getting there the day before. A cruise is for relaxing, not tension.

DON

LOL~Ain't that the truth!!!! I looked into flights if I wanted to fly out same morning as the cruise, I would have to get on @ 6am and get to miami around 1:15...Is that too late for the 4pm departure?

So, I guess we would have to go the day before......more $$$$$$!!!!!

Archived