Copthorne Tara?

jspirit

Anybody recently stay here? Big difference in Club rooms over regular rooms?

How is the location in terms of walking around , restaurants, etc. without getting on a bus or tube?

Holiday inn Forum or Copthorne Tara?

Thanks!

Well I wasn't going to post on this, because I haven't stayed at the Tara. But since noone else has come forward.....

I've stayed at the Copthorne in Manchester and it's strictly as business class hotel, and not a particularly good one at that. But that's Manchester, the one in London might be much better.

I've stayed at the Forum and it's a mixed business/tourist class hotel. Perhaps a bit more tourist class, because they get a LOT of them. It's not bad, and I'd stay there again if I had to, but my personal peference (as you may have seen on other posts discussing the Forum) is for the slightly more upmarket Millennium Gloucester across the street.

We stayed at the Copthorne Tara several years ago. Th Club rooms are MUCH nicer (more westernized) than the regular rooms. The hotel is in a very quiet out of the way section of London. If memory serves me, it was in a cul de sac type area. We used the tube, just a few blocks away. It was a pleasent stay, but I feel it's only worth the money if you can get a Club room.

Have a great time in London - it's a wonderful city!!

We stayed at the Copthorne Tara several years ago. Th Club rooms are MUCH nicer (more westernized) than the regular rooms. The hotel is in a very quiet out of the way section of London. If memory serves me, it was in a cul de sac type area. We used the tube, just a few blocks away. It was a pleasent stay, but I feel it's only worth the money if you can get a Club room.

Have a great time in London - it's a wonderful city!!

Was there a street around there that was safe just for walking to dinner , or do you have to get on some form of transport just to eat in a restaurant? ( not part of the hotel).

You'll be fine location wise.

From the map I just looked at, it looks like it's on a street I remember to be mostly residential, just off the Cromwell Rd. and just west of Gloucester Rd. This might actually work to your advantage, depending on what you like...it's close enough to where the action is without being right on top of it! So it'll be a darn sight quieter than the Forum!

Jspirit - To answer your question, I don't recall any specific restaurants nearby, however it was several years ago. We did dine one night in the hotel restaurant. My husband had the quail (or pheasant) which he enjoyed very much (amazing the things you remember!). It was a very nice, quiet resturant, which was not busy, so we had excellent personal service.

I do recall another, medium size hotel up the street - don't recall the name. We were away from the hotel most of the day, doing the tourist thing.

Hope this helps.

Was there a street around there that was safe just for walking to dinner , or do you have to get on some form of transport just to eat in a restaurant?
This area is perfectly safe. Just walk up to Kensington High Street, and then turn right and walk towards town. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, particularly when you get beyond the Tube station.

We have stayed there a few times to visit daughter in London. High Street Kensington is a very nice part of the city and has a lot to offer. As Globaliser says, just turn right and you will find everything you need. If you are in reasonable shape, we often walk to the Notting Hill area and back for dinner...very easy 15 minute walk on safe streets.

Do make sure you get the CLUB room as it is well worth the price. You can get free continental breakfast, free drinks hour before dinner, free use of the gym, free internet, etc...The rooms are also much nicer.

Enjoy !

good suggestion. Not much more money than regular rooms at other hotels!

I guess you haven't stayed at any other hotel in the area or near Cromwell that you could compare? Did the Copthorne really feel like a 4 * hotel?

Thanks for helping with your opinions!

You'll be fine location wise.

From the map I just looked at, it looks like it's on a street I remember to be mostly residential, just off the Cromwell Rd. and just west of Gloucester Rd. This might actually work to your advantage, depending on what you like...it's close enough to where the action is without being right on top of it! So it'll be a darn sight quieter than the Forum!

I think that you're describing the Forum, which I've stayed at many times. The Tara is off Kensington High Street. I've never stayed at the Tara, but I've been staying at the Forum off and on for 15 years, and really like the hotel and, even more, the neighborhood. It's a block and a half from the Gloucester Road Tube Station, which is on the Piccadilly line to Heathrow, and which is also a District Line stop and the westernmost stop on the Circle Line before it turns north. There's a Boots pharmacy and a decent sized Waitrose supermarket in the shopping center above the station (both have take-out sandwiches), lots of inexpensive restaurants in the area, and outstanding used bookstore on Gloucester Road two blocks south of Cromwell Road. Oh, and the 74 bus runs along Cromwell Road into Central London. Incidentally, the Forum is the tallest building in west London, and eastward-facing rooms get great views of Central London.

As everyone says the Tara is a lovely hotel just 2 minutes from Kensington High Street. It has a lovely Coffee shop with scrummy apple struedel and desserts

There are two restaurants we like within 10 minute walk. Maggie Jones. A traditional british restaurant, withold kitchen and farming implements and things hanging from the walls. The potted brown shrimps and rack of lamb are mmmmmmmmmm.

Also Wheelers Fish Restaurant.

There are lots of others indian, italian, chinese pizza hut etc.

With the Club room I am sure you won't be disappointed!:)

Archived