Has anyone booked a 6A GTY and get -

cmez

If you book an inside you will only be given an inside, most likely one-two categories up from the inside category you choose. If you choose the highest inside category from my experience being on many Carnival cruises, I never was upgraded to an outside!

If you book an outside in one of the higher or highest category I would say there is a chance you can be given a balcony.

When I was on the Victory last July we booked an inside cabin then got upgraded to an oceanview then up to a balcony on the aft of the ship. It was beatuful. And we got shipboard credit! Prices dropped I guess. For my cruise on the Glory this August we booked inside and we got upgraded to oceanview.

Keep in mind that on Spirit class ships that there are relatively few OV class cabins (only one deck of cat. 6), so that if you book OV or 6A guarantee, you have a better chance of moving up to a cat. 8 or higher.

We booked a 6A GTY on the Sensation and we were upgraded to a Cat.11 balcony on the Verandah deck. It was our first cruise. We chatted with another couple who went from a 6A to a Cat. 12.

Crossing my fingers for our Valor cruise!!!

If you book an inside you will only be given an inside, most likely one-two categories up from the inside category you choose. If you choose the highest inside category from my experience being on many Carnival cruises, I never was upgraded to an outside!

This is most certainly NOT true, as others on this board can attest. My first cruise, we booked an inside cabin and were upgraded four classes to an oceanview cabin two decks higher than originally booked.

But it seems to be a random thing! Last cruise, DH and I were booked in an oceanview and were "upgraded" to another oceanview just one deck up. I'm in the crowd that doesn't consider that a real upgrade, though. Inside to oceanview, o/v to balcony, etc. THAT's an upgrade.

We traveled on the Victory 4/2000 got an upgrade from an 8A to a cat 11, then we went on the Triumph 4/2002 and were also upgraded from an 8A to a cat 11. Both times we traveled with friends and they were also upgraded along with us.

I guess the upgrades work according to how full your ship is. I had friends who sailed the Pride in a category 4 gaurantee. When they got to the pier they were upgraded to balconies on the Lido deck. How awesome was that upgrade.

This is the first time I tried doing an guarantee--on the LEgend in October. I always picked my cabin location before. (its the last time too)

Last cruise, DH and I were booked in an oceanview and were "upgraded" to another oceanview just one deck up. I'm in the crowd that doesn't consider that a real upgrade, though...

Well, okay. But Carnival sure considers it an upgrade, because they charge more for that higher deck.

Anyway, seems to me you can increase your chances by 1) booking 'guarantee' way early, and 2) book through a large agency that sends a lot of business to Carnival.

I have also booked an oceanview guaranteed room for October 14th sailing of the Legend.

This ship is SO full though, I'm not really expecting much. I'm with a big group and only traveling myself with my son so won't matter all that much.

Okay, yeah, it would be great to upgraded :-)

Marrianne

Wow!!

So it is'nt alway true that if you book an outside, you get bumped up a few decks to another outside! Thanks for the responses!!

I'm not going to hold my breath in hoping I get an upgrade to a balcony or even a suite, but it would be nice!!

Hint! Hint! Carnival if you're reading!! :p

Carnival takes many different things in consideration when deciding who gets upgraded and how big the upgrade is. Some of the major factors:

* How much did you pay? (if two cabins are booked in as the same level guarantee, the cabin that brought in the most revenue to Carnival on the booking will likely get the upgrade first)

* Are you a past guest? (past guests will generally get upgraded first)

* How many people are in your cabin? (triples and quads in lower categories tend to get upgraded when there are a decent number of groups cruising together requiring triples and quads)

We've been upgraded several times, including our last cruise when we booked a specific cabin OV on Empress deck on the Paradise. Couple of months before the cruise, a Carnival called to inform us that we'd be upgraded to a Cat 12 suite - and sure enough, when we got our docs, it confirmed it). Before that, we gone from multiple insides to OVs on guarantees. We always get some level of upgrade, probably means we pay too much :)

Two years ago we sailed on the Triumph. We booked a specific room with a balcony. We were thrilled when they notified us several months out that we had been upgraded to a suite with a balcony. It was a very special cruise for us as we were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and both of us turned 40 that year. The suite made it even more special.

Last February we sailed on the Conquest. We booked an inside guarantee and were pleasantly surprised when we boarded the ship and found we had been upgraded to an oceanview room.

A couple of years ago we went on the Pride. We had booked an obsturcted view cabin. Then we got an upgrade to an ocean view. We already had our documents and were upgraded again to a balcony! Carnival does this for their past cruisers and it was wonderful. We are in a 4A guaranteed this time on the Carnival Legend and have already been told that we will get an upgrade.

Happy Cruising!!!!!

Archived