Ready to try Royal, how about some help.

filamy

We’re now officially hooked on cruising, have gone twice and need to have another planned. Our first cruises were with Carnival, first on the Valor to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. Great cruise, great vacation. We just finished our Liberty cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, Antiqua, Tortola, and Nassau. Basically the same ship (Conquest class) and new only difference was the outside movie screen on the Liberty, very nice. Overall we were very pleased with Carnival but on this last cruise a few minor things started to irke me. The worst was one of the assistants to the cruise director, he sounded like he was addressing a bunch of very young and stupid teenagers. I also got tired of Carnival’s constant sales pitches on everything from photos, spa treatments, art auctions, and mainly island shopping at their “sponsored stores”. Service was excellent, though we did have a much better dining room team on our first cruise. Again, had a great cruise, loved the itineraries and the ships. But I think we’re ready to try something a little different.

We’re looking for early July due to work schedules. I am looking at the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan going to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, & St. Thomas. This itinerary sounds great, would like to check out St. John this time, but I don’t know about leaving out of San Juan. Suggestions for a great ship and itinerary would really be appreciated. Help me get hooked on Royal Caribbean. One last question, any suggestions to find better fares? I noticed that different TA’s and internet TA’s say that Royal does not discount. Every bit helps, even in the form of OBC. Thank you.

We are not allowed to suggest TA's but go hunting for cruises that compete with each other. Adventure of the Seas is a nice ship. See the Ice Show while you are on board. Try Portofinio's ($20.00/person) Dinner club. Although it says bording starts at around 8 PM you can board at noon. Unless you live in SJ try going in day before. Have fun.

AOS is really a wonderful cruise for a first timer on RCI if you love the Caribbean. We've done AOS twice..'03 and '06 as well as having spent over 10 years traveling to St. John on land trips!!

San Juan is fine..my first visit there was in '73 and I've been there many times since.

E-mail me at sgttami@yahoo.com if you want further info...(I have too many opinions and questions to post on a public board !!)

We’re looking for early July due to work schedules. I am looking at the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan going to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, & St. Thomas. This itinerary sounds great, would like to check out St. John this time, but I don’t know about leaving out of San Juan. Suggestions for a great ship and itinerary would really be appreciated. Help me get hooked on Royal Caribbean. One last question, any suggestions to find better fares? I noticed that different TA’s and internet TA’s say that Royal does not discount. Every bit helps, even in the form of OBC. Thank you.

We sailed on the Adventure of the Seas from San Juan a few years ago. It was wonderful! Curacao and Aruba are our favorite ports of call. We also love St. Maarten and St. Thomas/St. John. If you enjoyed your Carnival cruises, you will absolutely love the AOS! The crew is terrific, the ship is so much nicer than any Carnival ship we've ever been on (decor and much better traffic patterns/deck plans), and the activities are really great. We loved San Juan so much, that when we sailed on another cruise out of that port, we arranged to spend several extra days there, just to enjoy the city.

We always book directly with RCCL. That way, if the price drops, we can get the difference rebated or refunded to us. In fact, I just called this morning and got $100 per person rebated for an upcoming cruise. All it takes is a vigilant eye - keep checking the prices on their website, and if it drops, call them.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip! Take lots of photos and make lots of memories.

You have seen all the praises of AOS it is a nice ship. I have been on several Carnival ships and enjoyed then, the main difference I think is the quality & selection in the dining room is better as well as the service. They have an alternate menu every night along with the main menu so steak is alway available. I don't think you will be disappointed. I don't like to slam one against the other but I do lean towards RCCL plus the loyalty program is better than carnival. After 9 carnival ships didn't get a $$ for repeat business. With RCI you start after your first trip and it progressively gets better. RCL do have a few more ammenities on the voyager class ship & above (AOS is one) then I have seen on carnival.

Do fly in one day early to SJ. Your luggage & you are guaranteed to arrive before the ship leaves. Leaving out of SJ also reaches more southern ports.

In St Thomas if there is no excursion then take your snorkel gear & a taxi to Red Hook, ferry boat to St John, a taxi to Trunk Bay and the underward national park. It's an reef well marked with directions (underwater type) and if you don't have gear they will rent it.

P.S. We always book online rccl.com the price are competitive with TA's and you get instant results and updates. If there is a price drop you can get the adjusted price. Also arrange your own airfare you will probably get a better price. kayak.com is a good source of fare information.

I've only sailed on the Mariner; however, I would sail ANY Voyager class ship in the future! Our cruise was incredible - I don't see how anyone with a "spirited" side wouldn't have fun. :)

As mentioned, you won't get a "discount" with RCI; however, if you book through them, then you will get a price reduction in the event of a price drop. All you have to do is call and ask (it will NOT happen automatically, so check). If you decide to you a TA to book your cruise, then please make sure they honor price drops for NO charge (also look into other fees/penalties). Many TAs will give you on board credit for your business.

Here's a website that I found so helpful - http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/. You can explore the ship(s) deck by deck or by area (rooms, lounges, dining, etc.). I hope you enjoy looking through all the photos as I did! :D

Please keep us posted on your plans. Happy cruising and welcome to RCI!

Well, I see you have a big problem to start off with. You mean you got back from a cruise without another 3-4 already scheduled???:eek: ;) :D

Seriously, we used to take a cruise and then schedule one, take that cruise and schedule another. Then we started scheduling two at a time. Now we have 4 scheduled and we are working on two more, got plenty of time, we do not leave for another 9 weeks.

We have been on 9 different cruise lines and they have all had plusses and some had some big minuses. Of course, what other people like and what you like are entirely different matters. We know people who absolutely love Norwegian, we will not do them again.

One of the biggest determining factors in selecting a cruise is destination. Where do you want to go, what sort of activities do you enjoy, how exotic can you handle when it comes to foreign foods, customs and languages.

How long do you want the cruise to be (or how much are you able to pay and how much vacation time do you have). Our experience has been that the longer the cruise, the fewer kids. We have seen many more young couples in the Carib. and other cruises that are closer to the States.

We do love RCI. We are now Diamond in Crown and Anchor so that allows for some little extras. While we have had some cruises we have not thought quite up to par, none of them have been with Royal Carib. We have enjoyed each one.

Happy travels,:cool:

So glad you decided to try RCCL. I don't think you will be sorry. As an earlier poster mentioned the site that has TA's competing for your business is a good one to try as they do not give discounts but either some kind of perk or on board credit. As another poster said check with them to make sure they have no penalties. Don't know if I'm allowed to do this but I use one in Greenwich , Ct. and am VERY happy with them. Good luck and happy cruising!:)

TA's that block group space. No, you will not be part of a structured group, but group space often offers a discount. You can only choose fromt he cabins they are holding and the catagories they hold so there are some limitations.

Welcome to RCI. They will sell you stuff, they will aim you at their "preferred" vendors (read kickbacks). But they will offer you a wonderful vacation/cruise experience.

We’re now officially hooked on cruising, have gone twice and need to have another planned. Our first cruises were with Carnival, first on the Valor to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. Great cruise, great vacation. We just finished our Liberty cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, Antiqua, Tortola, and Nassau. Basically the same ship (Conquest class) and new only difference was the outside movie screen on the Liberty, very nice. Overall we were very pleased with Carnival but on this last cruise a few minor things started to irke me. The worst was one of the assistants to the cruise director, he sounded like he was addressing a bunch of very young and stupid teenagers. I also got tired of Carnival’s constant sales pitches on everything from photos, spa treatments, art auctions, and mainly island shopping at their “sponsored stores”. Service was excellent, though we did have a much better dining room team on our first cruise. Again, had a great cruise, loved the itineraries and the ships. But I think we’re ready to try something a little different.

We are scheduled to sail on the Adventure of the Seas for the second time next April. The first time was in August 2004 and we had a blast. I have to agree with others in that if you liked cruising on Carnival, you will LOVE cruising on RCCL. We started cruising on Carnival (sailed the Paradise in 2002), but switched to RCCL for many of the reasons you stated, but in addition, my two teen DDs were less than impressed with the teen activities (or lack there of). We are hooked on RCCL -- MY DH won't sail any other cruiseline.

April will mark our third time in San Juan. Old San Juan (where the ships dock when in port -- not embark) is very picturesque and has a lot to do for everyone. There are lots of little shops to check out, many little cafes for a quick bite (which in San Juan means minimum an hour), and many sights to behold. Our first cruise on AOS, we stayed at the Wyndham Old San Juan which is right across from the ship pier. It was a great hotel and central to everything downtown. This time, we are spending our pre-cruise day in San Juan at the Caribe Hilton. We plan to hang out at the pool or down on their private beach.

Happy Cruising!

You may not find discounts to start off--but remember, loyalty pays off. Later on after a few cruises, you will receive discounts on balcony rooms...and if you book your next cruise while onboard, you will receive on board credit.

I love RCCL, and think you will have a wonderful time on Adventure of the Seas. I mention the following since you said this was something that bothered you on Carnival: RCCL will try to sell you things too.

They pitch bingo and art auctions over the speakers as "announcements". A man will come around with shots to buy with your dessert at dinner. You have the "opportunity" to buy better ice cream (Ben & Jerry's), better coffee (Seattle's best), and the drink of the day seems to come in a more expensive souvenir glass if you don't request a normal glass, especially at the pool. The daily compass (schedule/newsletter) is packed with ads for T-shirt sales, gold by the inch, shopping talks, etc. I personally don't find it obnoxious, but if it bothered you on Carnival it may well bother on on RC.

As for assistant cruise directors, they are a mixed bag. Plenty of them are just fine, but if I'm ever on a ship with Anna Banana again I will jump overboard.

Royal Caribbean is a great choice.

We've sailed Voyager and Explorer, love them both.

Every cruiseline has its pro's and con's of course, but you will definitely love any Voyager class ship you sail on.

Yes, they will offer you after dinner aperitifs but we have never found them to be pushy. I think RCL uses speaker-announcements regarding art auctions and things like that as reminders to pax but thats one thing we have never found any of that stuff being pushed....I will say that on each of our cruises, we love using the spa but that IS where PUSHY comes in. they do try to SELL SELL SELL you EVERY product they have used on you.

As for Royal, that is the only thing we found pushy.

Explorer leaves from NJ so we will travel her mostly now- last year we realized our vacation for 4 would cost over 4K more to leave from PR. :eek:

Wasnt worth the itinerary to us.

Jumping ship (excuse the pun) is often a very difficult decision. However, I truly recommend you do it now. We too are looking at the Adventure for 2008. Sailing out of San Juan is great. You are half way there. However, the cruise is very port intensive. When you look at the day to day itinerary, be sure to notice how long a ship is in port; 7 a.m. to 5p.m., 8 am to 6pm, etc. is good. RCI does have smaller cabins (one positive perk of the newer Carnival ships), but there isn't that much of a difference in size. Hump and aft balcony cabins are great for additional balcony space on this size ship, if you can get one.

As others have said, do try to arrive at least a day early; AOS sails on Sunday. Hotels on the beach are wonderful. A day trip to the Rain Forest is a delight. Walking aimlessly in Old San Juan is a necessity. Do stop in to the El Convento Hotel courtyard for refreshment. It is so lovely.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Gosh, I so agree with what everyone has said.

1 We love sailing out of San Juan as we love the city, the rain forest, etc, etc, and you get more ports and less sea days.

2. Not been on AOS but have been on Voyager and Explorer. They are fantastic so I am sure you will love AOS also. Lots to see and do.

I also recommend you go to SJ at least the day before so you can enjoy what the city has to offer. We love walking around in OSJ, my DH loves the forts - especially El Morro, and we have been to the rain forest 3 times.

So go and enjoy yourself. We love Royal and currently have our next 5 cruises planned, all the way to Serenade out of San Juan in April 09. Plan to get them all booked while on the Sovereign in 3 weeks.

I am looking at the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan going to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, & St. Thomas. This itinerary sounds great, would like to check out St. John this time, but I don’t know about leaving out of San Juan.

We really enjoyed Serenade of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean, leaving from San Juan.

Check out our trip report and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/serenade.html

We did a cruise including Aruba and Curacao on a different line;) and really liked that too...

Check out our trip report and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/scarib.html

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

We have sailed from San Juan many times. Having lived in an area where the snow might stop us from getting to the cruise on time, we went a day early. Even though we live in FL now, we still go a day early.

The ports you will visit are great. We love Aruba and St Thomas and St Maarten. We went to Curacao one time, but honestly, I don't remember it, so it mustn't have made a great impression with me.

If I see something that looks good, I book thru Royal Caribbean. Then after a while, depends on when I feel like it, I go to the competing website. You can keep your reservation with RCI until just before final payment if you would like and then transfer to a TA. We don't usually wait that long, but still want to get the OBC that agents offer.

If you go to the competing site, just be sure to ask questions like, if the price goes down do you honor it? Do you reduce the OBC if the price goes down? What is your cancellation policy? It is interesting to see the answers from some of the mega online agencies. I wouldn't transfer to an agency that has a cancellation policy or will reduce the amenities by a large amount if the price goes down.

We too have had great luck with someone from the compete location in Greenwich Ct. They seem to be very fair.

I know you will love RCI. My other thought would be to see if there is any way you can find out about groups on board when you want to cruise. I know that from SJU there are times when 15 year olds have a coming out party and there are many teenagers onboard. If you use the search function you might come up with some sites that talk about them. I understand they are beautiful, but if you are not into families with teenagers, perhaps another time would be better.

No matter, enjoy your cruise and all San Juan has to offer.

We have sailed from San Juan many times. Having lived in an area where the snow might stop us from getting to the cruise on time, we went a day early. Even though we live in FL now, we still go a day early.

The ports you will visit are great. We love Aruba and St Thomas and St Maarten. We went to Curacao one time, but honestly, I don't remember it, so it mustn't have made a great impression with me.

If I see something that looks good, I book thru Royal Caribbean. Then after a while, depends on when I feel like it, I go to the competing website. You can keep your reservation with RCI until just before final payment if you would like and then transfer to a TA. We don't usually wait that long, but still want to get the OBC that agents offer.

If you go to the competing site, just be sure to ask questions like, if the price goes down do you honor it? Do you reduce the OBC if the price goes down? What is your cancellation policy? It is interesting to see the answers from some of the mega online agencies. I wouldn't transfer to an agency that has a cancellation policy or will reduce the amenities by a large amount if the price goes down.

We too have had great luck with someone from the compete location in Greenwich Ct. They seem to be very fair.

I know you will love RCI. My other thought would be to see if there is any way you can find out about groups on board when you want to cruise. I know that from SJU there are times when 15 year olds have a coming out party and there are many teenagers onboard. If you use the search function you might come up with some sites that talk about them. I understand they are beautiful, but if you are not into families with teenagers, perhaps another time would be better.

No matter, enjoy your cruise and all San Juan has to offer.

I'm thinking that you and I use the same TA.:) That is how I found them.

You will LOVE the Voyager Class of ships (and the Freedom Class). We also enjoy sailing out of San Juan. We always go a day or so early as we have found a favorite resturant in old San Juan called "Al Dente". Food is divine and in walking distance of the hotel we like there.

My favorite in the Caribbean is to go deep south to Antiqua, Barbados, St. Lucia, etc. But anywhere is good for me. The AOS is one of our favorite ships. We have spent a lot of time on the Brilliance as we did Panama Canal and Med. cruise on Her. Even so I love the Voyager Class ships much more.

You will not regret for a second coming to RCCL. We are diamond members with them and very loyal as we love the service and all the onboard activities.

Have a wonderful cruise and keep us posted on your views of RCCL.

Just returned from Explorer of the Seas. RCCI runs a great line. No one cruise line is the "best." It really depends on what you are looking for. The best way I can describe it is Carnival is "neon and high energy, Princess is pastel and relaxing, RCCI is more reserved and quieter."

I've sailed all 3 and enjoy each for a different reason. When I want high energy and lots of activity, it's definitely Carnival. When I want relaxation, and serenity with a touch of class, I choose Princess. When I want an even quieter more reserved time with a feeling of a cut above, I choose RCCI.

My brother was on AOS last year, and although he liked RCCI, he did not care for AOS. Age of the ship was a big factor and then, not being prejudice, but he and his wife found a very large hsipanic population of which did not speak English. They liked the itineraries, but were constantly addressed by people that could not communicate with them. Add in the large number of "Sweet 15's, (they do sweet 15 not 16 in Puerto Rico) and the ship left them feeling like they were in the middle of NYC.

Explorer and Mariner would be my pick. Just remember, on RCCI, there are no launderettes with irons and ironing boards. Their casinos do not have a players club and Portofino, although excellent food and service, is much smaller than Carnival & Princess Supper Clubs.

As for the staff, they were all excellent on EOS, but I have to admit, I love my Princess and Carnival staff. My cabin attendant on EOS, who has been with RCCI for nearly 10 yrs didn't even know that as a past guest, I was entitled to an EOS cotton beach bag. I was a little disappointed as this was a direct reflection on how important I was viewed as a "loyal" repeat customer.

Just booked the AOS for July 6th. Now we just have to wait "FOREVER". It would sure be great if anyone notices any great information that we should see. Also, anyone know anything about room 6618? This is a small balcany right in the middle of the hump. I choose the hump over a higher deck, good choice?

Just booked the AOS for July 6th. Now we just have to wait "FOREVER". It would sure be great if anyone notices any great information that we should see. Also, anyone know anything about room 6618? This is a small balcany right in the middle of the hump. I choose the hump over a higher deck, good choice?

I was in a hump cabin (9622) on the Mariner (AOS's sister ship) and absolutely LOVED the location! Even though we were up a few decks, I think you did GREAT and hope you enjoy the central location as well as we did. :D

Archived