Regent Air

cstrick

From Washington, one time we were booked on American, the other time on United to LAX. Then, one is always booked on Air Tahiti Nui (I think), which is fine, from LAX to PPT. The first time we did an overnight in LA. We are in the minority of those who do not like doing that. We didn't sleep well by the airport, and wasted the next morning. The second time, we flew straight through and landed very late in Tahiti where we went to the Radisson for a pre-cruise of several days (it's very economical) to become adjusted to the time change. I'd much rather start adjusting in Tahiti then in LA.

From Washington, one time we were booked on American, the other time on United to LAX. Then, one is always booked on Air Tahiti Nui (I think), which is fine, from LAX to PPT. The first time we did an overnight in LA. We are in the minority of those who do not like doing that. We didn't sleep well by the airport, and wasted the next morning. The second time, we flew straight through and landed very late in Tahiti where we went to the Radisson for a pre-cruise of several days (it's very economical) to become adjusted to the time change. I'd much rather start adjusting in Tahiti then in LA.

I think we flew US Airways to LAX. Had a "forced" overnight and then flew LAX -PPT.

We we go in June of '08 I think we want to try leaving from JFK and flying straight through. While I did sleep ok at the LAX Hilton I agree with Dreps that I would rather get used to the time change in PPT.

The only problem is that ATN seems to have cut back on their JFK schedules and they are only flying, as of right now, on Fridays and Wednesday. Our June cruise leaves on a Wednesday so we would have to fly out the previous Friday and stay a few days.

I'm cool with the extra days in PPT but I am worried if the Friday flight doesn't go for some reason are we stuck? Or will Regent have to scramble to get us on a flight to LAX and then to PPT? Planes are flying too full for that to be an easy task if the worst happens.

Our TA and I will probably try and figure this out later in the Fall when schedules are more firm.

Caroline

I like the forced overnight, but then we have family in LA, and usually have dinner with them.

The first time we went in 2000, from LAX-PPT we actually were on AOM, which was a French airline, later went bankrupt or something and Air France replaced them on that route. But RSSC seems to use ATN fairly exclusively now. I like ATN.

We live in Toronto so doing the NYC-PPT straight is not an issue, at least so far. I would not like to do that without a break. I agree that you need at least one night in Papeete before the cruise, or else you're a zombie when you board the ship.

There have been many reductions in air service to PPT, including ATN (Air Tahiti Nui), Air New Zealand and Air France. That is the reason for more crowded flights.

An alternative may be non-stop to Hawaii then overnight and take Hawaii Air to PPT (only 5.5 hours). That way you get better time adjustment, Hawaii is nicer than LAX and the second leg is pretty short. That is what I am doing.

Boatman,

My interpretation of the Hawaiian Air schedule is that the airline flies from HNL to PPT once a week, on Saturdays, arriving at 10:45 pm. Since the PG departs Papeete at 10 pm Saturday, I didn't think this option was feasible. Please tell me that I have misinterpreted the schedule since I would love to use my AA frequent flier miles for the long haul portion of the trip!

Archived