Sunscreen Suggestions

ElvisC

Depends on your skin type, my wife is a fair redhead, she uses #40. I am darker and play outdoors more and use a #15. The Caribbean sun is very powerful and you will see plenty of "lobster people" on the second or third day. I'm sure a dermotologist would recommend #40, but hell were on vacation. You want to come back home with a little color.

I bought Water Babies spray bottle 45 spf. No matter how high the number, you will still tan if you are in the sun for a while. I really don't think there is much of a difference between 15 spf and the higher numbers. Make sure you get water proof, and re-apply often.

Stefanie

I am generally pretty tan and can get away with 15 generally, in July on our cruise, that was pushing it and by the end of the week I was using 30... don't forget your scalp and ears!!!! Wear a hat and get some "hair sunscreen" from your salon... i learned the hard way from this years ago!

I bought Water Babies spray bottle 45 spf. No matter how high the number, you will still tan if you are in the sun for a while. I really don't think there is much of a difference between 15 spf and the higher numbers. Make sure you get water proof, and re-apply often.

Stefanie

A few days ago, I saw a Dr. on CNN that said any SPF after 30 is a waste, that all 30 and above SPF's will work the same. Has anyone else heard this? I know they make a total sunblock for people with extremely sensitive skin so I wonder what the difference is?

I have heard the spf 15 thing but I know I tend to burn with it whereas I definitely get better protection with spf30. On my face I use Ocean Potion spf 45 made for surfers, it comes in a little jar and works great stays on . I've used it in Vegas, Hawaii and on cruises. I have had 3 skin cancers previously on my face from too much sun as a teen so coverage now is crucial. this stuff is great.

I have also heard the same thing about SPF 30 or higher......But I have to admit that I use Water Babies 45 spray (made by Coppertone) on my blonde-haired, blue-eyed daughter and she doesn't burn. I like the spray. It's easy to get good coverage without missing any spots (you know.....the one's that turn red later :eek: :eek: ). Also, it's long lasting......No worries about re-applying it constantly inspite of the fact that she's in and out of the water over and over again!!!! :)

My dermatolgoist told me the same thing, but he suggested people over the age of 35 should use spf 35-40 anyway.....

I live in Florida, use Nutrogenia, its certainly not greasy and it contains I forgot the name of the chemical so you won't get any breakouts from it. They have spf 30-45. That is the only one I will use, others are greasy and have an odor.

Check out these links -

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/48/39152?src=Inktomi&condition=Home%20&%20Top%20Stories

http://www.yjung.com/sun/

One of the most important thing is to apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before going out in the sun and to use the proper amount. The sunscreen needs a chance to be absorbed so it works. Then the key is to reapply it often.

My only advice is to put any time of sunscreen on before you order your second "Drink of the Day". ;-)

Also, good advice on the hat or spray sunscreen. My boyfriend burned his head on the first day, and he's got a thick head of hair.

I have used Waterbabies many times and it works great.

The last cruise was in August . I heard that the girls on the Beach Volleyball teams use Coppertone Sport sunblock. It doesn't come off with sweat or sand. I used it on this cruise. We had a very hot day in Coco Caye....no sunburn at all!!!

DH and I buy the No-Ad brand of sunscreen. I buy SPF 30 and it works fine! But I NEVER use regular sunscreen on my face because it burns my eyes when it gets wet. So we use Oil of Olay with sunscreen in it for our faces.

Archived