The Panama Canal East or West bound

flagger

We had to give up our partial transit of the PC on Brilliance of the Seas today due to a variety of factors. I am wondering for those PC veterans which do you prefer on a full transit; going east or westbound? We know the PC will still be there when we decide to cruise, so I am wondering which direction do you prefer to sail.

I know on a TA, I have always wanted to do WB because you get that extra hour each day during the crossing, but I wonder how those who do the full transit feel about direction?

Thanks.

We've done both and enjoyed the East to West (Fort Lauderdale to San Diego) most. Neither was bad.

The reason I would pick EW is you don't have to be up so early to see the Bridge of Americas or the other bridges on the Pacific side. But again, its a coin toss.

I would recommend going on a C class vs. M class ship. We were on Mercury and discovered a great aft view on deck 7 I think. You can find it by going on the promenade deck and going up the stairs. The only M class public area is behind the buffet area.

Best book on the Panama Canal: "The Path Between the Seas" by David Mccullough. Lengthy (and sometimes boring in parts) but definitely definitive (if I didn't alliterate too much).

The 3 hours either way really didn't affect us that much, not like 5 hours doing a EW TA crossing. Very gradual.

I agree with the previous poster who says the three hours difference dont amount to much on a PC cruise because they are spread over almost 2 weeks. What would make the difference to me is where I live in the US and I can't tell that from your signature. But here is my reasoning: I would fly the longest distance to the port of departure since you have plenty of time to rest up from that flight. That leaves you the short flight at the end of your cruise. I would be more interested in the ports of call - for instance, realizing you are posting on an X board, HAL and Princess do vary the ports more than X does, and you might also be interested where the cruise starts or ends on the west coast - San Diego, LA or SFO because you might want to spend a couple of extra days there.:) :)

We were on Mercury and discovered a great aft view on deck 7 I think. You can find it by going on the promenade deck and going up the stairs.

LOL, you are giving away my secret spot! It's indeed a great deck for viewing whatever activities there might be astern of the ship. Many passengers doesn't even know that it exists. I always go there when departing from Mexican ports.

Photograph of that aft spot is attached.

Donald.

1338577504_20070727Pavilion.jpg.53ffd3a6467d192301032c6655ba309a.jpg

LOL, you are giving away my secret spot! It's indeed a great deck for viewing whatever activities there might be astern of the ship. Many passengers doesn't even know that it exists. I always go there when departing from Mexican ports.

Photograph of that aft spot is attached.

Donald.

What goes on Cruise Critics stays on Cruise Critics ;).

We have done both the west and then the east.

For me comming in from the west was my favorite because I like to shoot a lot of photos.

I would love to do the canal again and would jump at the chance to come in from either side. Seeing both bridges early morn was for me something I will always remember.

Also you can find "Panama Canal: "The Path Between the Seas" by David Mccullough" on audio books.

Little D

We've gone both ways through the Canal. A previous post about seeing the Bridge of the Americas when going westbound is valid.

For us, it has boiled down to "do we want to do the long flight before or after the cruise?"

We have done it both ways and it is a fantastic trip in either direction. One advantage to the westbound transit is that it takes about 90 minutes to reach the first lock from the time the ship enters the canal aproaches, so it makes for a somewhat less "rushed" morning.

We did the west bound out of Florida and the one thing that we liked most of all out of the two weeks was we were at sea every other day.We had a day at sea after every port.It aloud us time to unwind and kick back.The extra 3 hours was a bonus.I would recommend this cruise to anyone eastbound or west.

We also base direction on flights. We prefer the five hour flight west, at the beginning of the cruise. Also, if heading east on the way home, there are not that many flights in the afternoon. There is the "red-eye", but that isn't too appealing after a two week cruise. The airports in Florida are close to the piers, and there are a variety of afternoon flights. It's only about three hours home, and we get back at a decent time. Time enough, in fact, to stop for a greasy "bar burger", to cap off two weeks of good food.:D

I think this is one of those decisions where you might use your experience with the airlines to make the decision especially with all the problems they are having lately. Seems the extra hour or so on one end might be offset by early rising on the other, doesn't seem much difference.

I think this is one of those decisions where you might use your experience with the airlines to make the decision especially with all the problems they are having lately. Seems the extra hour or so on one end might be offset by early rising on the other, doesn't seem much difference.

My husband and I will be sailing on the Infinity 10.28.07 Panama Canal from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale

We agree with getting the long flight cross country out of the way at the beginning of the cuise. At the end of the cruise we have 2 days at sea to relax before our 1 hour flight to Tampa.

If anyone has taken this cruise, could you tell me when the formal night are? I' d like to book a reservation in the speciality restaurant but would like to do it on a non-formal night.

Both ways are interesting. The question is: Where do you want to start and where do you want to end up from a travel standpoint? I recently took a east bound PC trip and loved the build up of going through Mexico and Honduras before getting to the PC. My trip back from Florida to San Francisco was quite easy. Either way, you will have a terrific time.

Thank you for your responses. It would make sense to have a short flight home instead of at the top of a cruise. So for where we live now, it would be EB for us.

OW flights from FL to our home airport can be as low as $49 which is an added bonus. It will probably be 2010 before we go since 2009 is planned for the Med.

• 2 years later...
We will board the Celebrity/Infinity on the 25th of april in fort Lauderdale and the cruise ends in San Francisco. Would someone kindly advise us about any DO's and DONT's on this cruise. Much appreciated.

If you find the roll call, you'll find tons of folks that can and will answer all your questions !

Another time zone Panama cruiser here. East to West. Long flt out of the way and ease back into our own time zone.

Through twice once on the Horizon and once on the Infinity. Smaller ships will give you a different experience.

On M class you have a tendency to rub the walls and screeching and smoke from the rubbing is quite interesting. :D For sure you can reach out and touch the side of the locks from the promenade deck.

We will board the Celebrity/Infinity on the 25th of april in fort Lauderdale and the cruise ends in San Francisco. Would someone kindly advise us about any DO's and DONT's on this cruise. Much appreciated.

Howdy Dusty Trail ~~ we'll be on the cruise with you ! So, please find our roll call and meet all the others ~~ I'll see if someone will provide you a link ~~ I'm so far in the past I don't do computers or links at all ~~ I'm going to our roll call right now to try to get you some help !

Here is a link to the Roll Call for that cruise. C'mon over and visit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772818&page=44

Steve

DustyTrail,

We're on the same cruise. Come to our thread on roll call Infinity Westbound April 25 and join us. We have lots of things planned and would love meeting you. Be sure and join the cruise connections party.

Debbie and Tommy:)

We want to do a 2nd Canal cruise in 2011 but starting from San Juan & ending in SD (our home port) . Seems that the 2010 April cruise on the millie has a good itinerary & we hope that Celebrity duplicates it for 2011 . We would fly into Florida & visit my DWs relatives & then fly into San juan for 3 nights & see the city & surrounding area before the cruise.

The April cruise is repositioning & the prices were right .

Archived