What shoes with men's khakis?

TMarie

Hi,

My S/O and I are going on a cruise in a little over 3 weeks.

He's bringing two pair of linen pants- white and khaki colored, and a pair of Khaki Dockers.

I was just going to let him wear his new leather thongs with the linen pants for smart casual dinner, but what about the khakis? Another issue is the fact that he wears a 13 or 14 WIDE and it makes shoe shopping difficult!

Thanks for any help :)

I think that he can get a lot of mileage out of a pair of cap toe oxfords. They are very versatile, and look great with khakis and can be worn with nice jeans, they can even go dressier, if they have a little shine to them.

MAC

I also need a 13 shoe and many times feel that simply painting the shoe box brown is the best answer. But seriously the sandels work but no socks with the sandels. I wear loafers, penny for day time and a nice tassled loafer for evening with the tan linen and the kakhi pants. Also for day time a top sider or boater or whatever they are calling them in what ever shop you are in. They are casual, comfortable and easy to pack.

I think a nice pair of leather sandals, loafers, 'boat' shoes or any kind of brown leather shoe will work on casual nights with khakis. My husband usually wears leather sandals or a more casual type of tie shoe.

I can imagine how hard it must be to pack those size 13-14's! My husband only wears a 9.5-10 and brings black dress shoes, 'nice' leather sandals, leather casual shoes (laces) and water shoes. We won't discuss how many I bring along!

I agree that a loafer type - like a woven leather - or a boat shoe (aka top sider) in brown would be nice.

I disagree with the suggestion for a lace-up, cap toe shoe as it's too formal and structured for khaki pants.

I agree that a loafer type - like a woven leather - or a boat shoe (aka top sider) in brown would be nice.

I disagree with the suggestion for a lace-up, cap toe shoe as it's too formal and structured for khaki pants.

A cap toe shoe definitely is too dressy for khakis. I suggest a penny loafer or tassel loafer can also be worn with the linen pants.

For our Hawaii cruise, I'm bringing the following: leather sandals, lace-up walking shoes, black cap toe shoes (for the nights when we're dressing up) and natural suede lace-up split-toe shoes for the more easy-going evenings when I'll wear polo shirts and khakis. Unfortunately, I am unable to wear loafers - I have never found a pair that make me feel really comfortable.

BTW, I work for a national men's clothier, and my choice of shoes has been endorsed by my fellow employees.

My husband would never wear bare feet in sandals in the dining rooms. He prefers "boat shoes" or if in dressier pants and sport coat, his "old fashioned" pair of penny loafers. Sandals are fine anywhere else...not in a dining room.

Of course...if you are a woman, the sandals are a must. Strange double standard. Maybe if we polish our DH's toes???? :D

A cap toe shoe definitely is too dressy for khakis. I suggest a penny loafer or tassel loafer can also be worn with the linen pants.

For our Hawaii cruise, I'm bringing the following: leather sandals, lace-up walking shoes, black cap toe shoes (for the nights when we're dressing up) and natural suede lace-up split-toe shoes for the more easy-going evenings when I'll wear polo shirts and khakis. Unfortunately, I am unable to wear loafers - I have never found a pair that make me feel really comfortable.

Yes, a penny loafer or tassle loafer definitely works too.

Okay, you stumped me. What's a split-toe?

I called my good friend who is a true haute couturier (even teaches it at FIT) and a really fine dresser, as well as a shoe fiend. (not too many men own 100 pairs of expensive shoes; he does!) He also had no idea what a split toe is. The only thing either of us could come up with are those Nike-type sport/sneaker type shoes that have an actual split between the big toe and the other 4 little piggies. Is that what you mean? Doesn't sound like your kind shoe for the dining room.

BTW, I work for a national men's clothier, and my choice of shoes has been endorsed by my fellow employees.

And by moi, aussi! :)

Honestly, a real fashion plate might wear a casually elegant linen or canvas shoe in a tan, olive or vicuna color. However, I didn't suggest this because it's not something the "average joe" would even consider.

Hmmm. I don't think that cap toe oxfords are too dressy as long as they aren't very shiny. My cap toes are a matte finish, and not too formal, but can be worn with dressier items if needed. There are some that are very formal looking. The ones I have are made by Dockers.

MAC

Brown or tan leather deck shoes.

I'm with Karen on this, casual shoes or boaters at the least. I wear sandals with shorts a lot in our tropic clime and ashore on cruises but not in the evening dining room.

What she showed you goes great with chinos and jeans. Penny loafers are a good choice as well, as you can also combine them with dress slacks and a sports coat for an informal evening or travel to the ship.

Archived