PRINCESS says jeans ok on Princess?

PescadoAmarillo

I'm thrilled for you, but there are certain situations where jeans are not appropriate. Would you wear jeans to a dinner at the White House? Would you wear them to a wedding at a fine restaurant or catering facility? I would hope not. There are dress codes for different settings. Princess sets a dress code. Just because you live in jeans in your day to day life, doesn't mean that you should wear them in every situation. If you want to wear jeans everywhere, including a cruise, then go on NCL and enjoy yourself.

I dress casually in my day to day life, but I enjoy dressing each night on a cruise. It makes the voyage special. The ships today are beautiful...the lounges, dining rooms, the common areas as so beautifully decorated. Why not dress a little nicer to match your surroundings. You might actually like it.;)

I just want to know that if and when the cruise lines lower their dress codes to allow jeans or things not allowed now are all of you who love to dress going to "wear jeans" or still dress up and look down at those who don't?? Just curious.

It is called respect for others. Yes, what you wear reflects your respect for both yourself and others.

Respect is the reason most people follow rules. No one is going to arrest you for dressing in jeans.. it is not a law. Courtesy and respect are going the same way as dressing for dinner; right out the window.

I have to argue with my teen boys about what to wear for dinner on the ship. They want to always wear torn(intentionally) jeans. They are quite stylish for a 16 year old yet still inappropriate for a nice dinner out.

I just want to know that if and when the cruise lines lower their dress codes to allow jeans or things not allowed now are all of you who love to dress going to "wear jeans" or still dress up and look down at those who don't?? Just curious.

The great thing about lowering dress codes is that I can still wear a dress. I hardly think that they will mandate that I MUST wear jeans.:p

As of the July 15th sailing, a new maitre'd is on board CB. They are enforcing the dress code every evening now.

When I came off the CB I took a picture of the Patters where it talks about the dress code and it said "no shorts, no t-shirts". Would you please take a picture of that area of the Patter and post it here. Seeing what you are saying about no jeans every night on the CB is something new and all of us would like to see it. I have been on her twice and it sounds like this new maitre'd is very different.

I believe what you wear on formal night sounds appropriate to me.

How come SHE gets to wear slacks & a sparkly blouse, yet I have to choke myself with a cummerbund and necktie?

I wanna wear black slacks & a sparkly blouse on formal night, too. Think they'd let me in?

By now anyone who reads these boards should understand why this topic might be an issue to some people. I am not saying people have to agree with it, but anyone who doesnt understand it by now simply isnt paying attention. Regarding special situations like mytime's...and I too hope you are doing well....of course there are exceptions to every rule. That's what he Maitre'D's are for, and by and large they do a good job recognizing these instances. Virtually no one who wants to see the dress code enforced are talking about these type of unique circumstances.

Every exception weakens the rule. If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're going 70 and that is acceptable, then the defacto speed limit is 70.

If an ambulance with its lights flashing goes by faster, it's acceptable because it's an emergency vehicle engaged in an emergency.

What about the police car cruising by at 75? No lights, no hurry...just speeding... does that mean that what's good for the authorities is not good for the citizens? Not at all. It means that they just set the new limit at 75.

Is 75 always an acceptable speed? Probably not. Weather conditions, etc. should be taken into account.

Can you get away with enforcing 65 anymore? Not likely.

While I may empathize with someone undergoing uncomfortable medical treatments, as you yourself have said earlier...dress comfortably...in the Horizon Court. (and no, I don't agree with you. I think you're horribly uptight & need to stop imposing your wishes on everyone else...but that's another discussion.)

I'm thrilled for you, but there are certain situations where jeans are not appropriate. Would you wear jeans to a dinner at the White House? Would you wear them to a wedding at a fine restaurant or catering facility? I would hope not. There are dress codes for different settings. Princess sets a dress code. Just because you live in jeans in your day to day life, doesn't mean that you should wear them in every situation. If you want to wear jeans everywhere, including a cruise, then go on NCL and enjoy yourself.

I dress casually in my day to day life, but I enjoy dressing each night on a cruise. It makes the voyage special. The ships today are beautiful...the lounges, dining rooms, the common areas as so beautifully decorated. Why not dress a little nicer to match your surroundings. You might actually like it.

I think there's the thing...the upscale restaurants (the steak house, the surcharge Italian place) are equivalent to a nice land restaurant and may be worthy of slacks.

The main dining room, if it's the only place you can enjoy a menu (vs. warmed-over serving trays) is your basic eatery and jeans should be perfectly acceptable, 7 nights a week.

I dress up every day for work. It's fine.

I just don't want to have to do it for vacation, too.

And no, there are no other cruiselines doing the itinerary I want to enjoy this year.

As for setting the rules, they also say that smoking is on the left side of the ship...do I have to take that up too?

And frankly, what's with the dichotomous rules for men & women? Isn't gender-biased discrimination against the law? YOU can wear this...but YOU can't.

Jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps. What terrible things American's have brought to the civilized world.

Not to mention addictive caffeine-based beverages, and intoxifying derivatives of grapes, and grunge music. All delivered on every street corner in an environment of perpetual fog & rain.

The horror.

Every exception weakens the rule. If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're going 70 and that is acceptable, then the defacto speed limit is 70.

If an ambulance with its lights flashing goes by faster, it's acceptable because it's an emergency vehicle engaged in an emergency.

What about the police car cruising by at 75? No lights, no hurry...just speeding... does that mean that what's good for the authorities is not good for the citizens? Not at all. It means that they just set the new limit at 75.

Is 75 always an acceptable speed? Probably not. Weather conditions, etc. should be taken into account.

While I may empathize with someone undergoing uncomfortable medical treatments, as you yourself have said earlier...dress comfortably...in the Horizon Court. (and no, I don't agree with you. I think you're horribly uptight & need to stop imposing your wishes on everyone else...but that's another discussion.)

I pay for my cruise. Nobody is going to die for my jeans - but many are killed or injured for not enforcing 65 anymore. I do not like NCL, so it is not an option for me. I just wonder who is the "I don't agree with you. I think you're horribly uptight & need to stop imposing your wishes on everyone else . . " person. I promise to not "imposing your wishes" on anybody. Please give me the same respect.

How come SHE gets to wear slacks & a sparkly blouse, yet I have to choke myself with a cummerbund and necktie?

I wanna wear black slacks & a sparkly blouse on formal night, too. Think they'd let me in?

Can't you forgo the tux and just wear a suit?

You drop 5 posts in a row on this topic, including the one above which makes no sense at all.....and you think I'm the uptight one???:rolleyes:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2138

Look at the last sentence. And this was dated August 6th (Cruise News Daily's list was published August 10th).

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ass't Editor Dan Askin must have talked with a different customer service rep at Princess.

I also noticed that NCL will have one dining room designated as jean freee. :)

Feel compelled to jump in with my two cents worth:

Why can't one dining room be labeled casual, and another formal, so everyone can experience the type of dining they want?

I really don't give a hoot what the dress code is, except for I don't think swimsuits or no shoes are appropriate for any dining room. I do wish they would enforce whatever the dress code is.

Since when did a shirt with no tie become formal wear for men? I guess instead of formals, women could now wear just a pair of slacks and a regular blouse to formal night? Maybe I will leave my heels at home! I really enjoy those men in a tux or kilt!!!

All i can say is the maitre d' on the Caribbean Princes is VERY PICKY and discerning about dress code. Don't be embarassed, just dress nice.

Yes very much agree on this which is why I have asked someone who posted about him on this thread to post a pic of the patters where it says no jeans every night. Quite strange after all these articles that have been posted here that jeans are allowed on Smart Casual that a maitre'd would run things differently than the Princess headquarters say. We did wear jeans one night on a Smart Casual night on the Diamond and after the maitre'd gave a brief look up and down (must have been looking for torn ones) he returned to his same normal self and sat us with our favorite servers. I had seen many others wear jeans around us and thought of all these threads on here so wanted to try it for myself.

Yes, one policy says no jeans on the Princess website and under the Frequently Asked Questions, it says no "torn jeans".

Quite frankly I am trying a NCL cruise in a few months and they just recently changed where you can wear jeans in all but 1 of their dining rooms and their website has been updated with this information.

I dress casually in my day to day life, but I enjoy dressing each night on a cruise. It makes the voyage special. The ships today are beautiful...the lounges, dining rooms, the common areas as so beautifully decorated. Why not dress a little nicer to match your surroundings. You might actually like it.;)

Would you wear khaki to a White House dinner or a formal wedding? I ALWAYS dress to match my surroundings and I have never violated a dress code. You missed my point -- what is it about jeans that automatically makes them tacky in the dining room? I'm not arguing that people shouldn't follow the rules; I'm asking why make a distinction about jeans in particular?

Yes, a suit is fine. I talked directly to Princess and was told most people don't wear tuxes. Surprisingly, she told me a jacket and tie was also not needed.

You can call Princess again and get a different answer. Guess you haven't had to call Princess about much or else you would have known this.

A jacket and tie is not needed for formal night for men says a Princess rep? I would definitely call them again.

Have you tried a Cunard cruise yet? Gosh I bet you would thoroughly enjoy yourself on one. I see they still have the dining rooms to match the cabin class you are in.

Getting invited to the whitehouse for dinner and wedding are special occasions and not someone's vacation so I don't think you can compare the same equally. I feel quite confident that people know not to wear jeans to an occasion like this. My daughter is getting married next month so we'll see how much the folks know about dress to a wedding.

How about that patter that you said shows no jeans for all 7 days that you just went on. A picture of the maitre'd's written dress code is worth a thousand words.

You can call Princess again and get a different answer. Guess you haven't had to call Princess about much or else you would have known this.

A jacket and tie is not needed for formal night for men says a Princess rep? I would definitely call them again.

I thought it was strange, also.

This thread is now very close to being beaten to death & we will soon see it locked, probably yet this weekend. Wernew....precious few have ever actually said their vacation was "ruined" by someone elses dress on formal night. I dont think I have ever seen it. You simply need to know that many people view this topic differently. It isnt that hard to understand. Why is irrelevant, but you can read the numerous threads on this if you really want to know why. It's been stated from both sides countless times.

Yes...in the rather lengthy formal night thread w/ the guy beating the horse. There was one, maybe two people who stated their cruise was ruined by people's attire in the dining room where they decided to eat in their room for the remainder of the cruise.

Archived