PRINCESS says jeans ok on Princess?

PescadoAmarillo

I am in my late 20's and live in South Florida. Originally a new yorker. I was accustomed to dressing up for evening events. South Florida is "tasty casual". Which includes wearing jeans even to theatre events.

I now wear very pretty tops, and even expensive suit jackets and heels with jeans. I carry it, and myself well in any type of dining experience.

Yet, I have seen Tuxedo and ball gown bearers making fools of themselves after a glass of wine or two.

It's not what you wear! Its how you wear it, and how you present yourself.

11 days until my Baltic Cruise..

I was undergoing chemo, and was swollen and miserable. Even if I was so disposed as to buy fancy clothes that I prayed would never fit again once chemo was finished, I didn't have the energy to walk into a store for groceries, much less to buy clothes. So much to my MIL's disappointment, I was going to eat at the buffet that night. When told that we hadn't brought formal clothes (of course my husband wasn't going to dress formal if I wasn't), we were invited by staff to eat in the dining room anyway, which made my MIL very happy. I'm upset to know that I probably ruined so many other people's evening:rolleyes:

Great story!! Hopefully it'll make people stop and think before they rush to judgement over someone who isn't dress to their standards. Hope you're doing well.

By now anyone who reads these boards should understand why this topic might be an issue to some people. I am not saying people have to agree with it, but anyone who doesnt understand it by now simply isnt paying attention. Regarding special situations like mytime's...and I too hope you are doing well....of course there are exceptions to every rule. That's what he Maitre'D's are for, and by and large they do a good job recognizing these instances. Virtually no one who wants to see the dress code enforced are talking about these type of unique circumstances.

It would be nice if everyone tried to enjoy their vacation without worrying about what others were doing or wearing. It is hard for me to understand how some of the posters on this site allow others to ruin their vacation experience just because they may chose to dress differently than what some cruisers consider the norm. Each generation is different and different parts of the country look at dress norms differently.

It is true that the Princess website states: No jeans. However, the captain is always the final authority at sea. If the Princess Patter does not limit jeans and the ship is okay with jeans in the dining room, why would anyone else care? We all know that the Princess website is not always kept up to date.

My DW and I will be sailing on the TP in a few weeks. We do not plan on bringing formal wear and will eat at the Bistro on formal nights. We would prefer the dining room, but we are tired of bringing formal wear for our vacation. Hopefully, someday Princess will relax the rules on formal nights.

That's what he Maitre'D's are for, and by and large they do a good job recognizing these instances. Virtually no one who wants to see the dress code enforced are talking about these type of unique circumstances.

That's all fine and dandy, but most people (today at least) don't seem to care don't seem to care how people are dressed. They'd much rather enjoy their meal and company. The other people, who hold in high regard the old days when everyone dressed to the 9's and look out for violators so they can post them on boards like this...won't know of this person's situation. They'll just post how offended they were about this person's appearance and how it ruined their meal. We see it time and time again on these boards. It's none their business why people dress the way they do and it shouldn't offend them, but yet it somehow does.

I think it is funny to get upset once the person is sitting down you can't see their jeans anyway. There are alot worse things going on these days and to get upset about something so trival I frankly have better things to do with my time when I am cruising then judging what others are wearing. I do not wear jeans in the dining room but have no problem if someone else did. And for all you jean wearers if you get the once over twice for wearing jeans in the dining room come sit at our table we loved to have you.

That's all fine and dandy, but most people (today at least) don't seem to care don't seem to care how people are dressed. They'd much rather enjoy their meal and company. The other people, who hold in high regard the old days when everyone dressed to the 9's and look out for violators so they can post them on boards like this...won't know of this person's situation. They'll just post how offended they were about this person's appearance and how it ruined their meal. We see it time and time again on these boards. It's none their business why people dress the way they do and it shouldn't offend them, but yet it somehow does.

Eric, you are WAY over-generalizing those who think differently than you on this topic. I could care less about who did what when cruising in the 'old days'. I didnt set the dress code either, the cruise line did. Asking them to enforce it, whatever it is (this is KEY), isnt asking much. Otherwise, just eliminate it altogether and see where that goes.:rolleyes: What I find amazing is how militant people can be about being asked (before booking, mind you) to wear a suit twice for 2 or 3 hours on a 7 day cruise. You want to talk able not understanding something....

I just came back from the 7/23 -8/1 sailing on the Crown and some guy just walked right through the Horizon Court at lunchtime with just his bathing suit and no shirt at all. No one said anything. I guess during lunch they are so busy with everyone coming and going from the pool areas no one notices. Even just walking through requires a shirt, its just common sense.

There are those folks who want to hang on to the traditional old ways of cruising and that is a set time for dinner and a certain style for dinner which no fancy jeans is in their closet or luggage. .

Those folks need to get with the times. On most cruise lines traditional is on the way out now that they offer:

MUTS

Ice Skating

Anything Dining

Rock Climbing

Bowling

Boxing

etc, etc

Give us details! Couldn't be as bad as the young lady at the buffet during lunch on the TP who was wearing a Brazilian cut bikini without a coverup! Thank goodness she had a Brazilian wax....
Pippi Longstocking meets Scary Spice. And yes, it's as bad as it sounds. :eek:

On our 2 recent Mexican Riveria cruises, jeans were allowed; although on formal night, didn't see them. Jeans were no surprise to us because we saw an elderly man in the swimming pool with just "skibbies" yes, underwear on...he swam like that the entire afternoon

There is conflicting info on the web...hence the confusion.

The first place you like is here...Pre cruise FAQ where I've always looked

http://www.princess.com/faq/pre_cruise.html

but when you open up the schedule of how many formal nights...it says this

http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html#attire

1st yes, 2nd no...but it also says no halter tops and halters are a popular form of formal and casual formal dress now....You'd usually have to go w/the more lenient answer especially factoring the location...where it advises what to bring.

Final answer is appropriate jeans will be in dresscode on smart casual and not appropriate on formal night....which I'm sure is probably quite a rarity in reality anyway

If the Princess web site is going to be used it does say the following:

"Question: How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits. See the chart for general dress code schedule."

Also on the Patters it never says no jeans - but it always says no shorts and no t-shirts.

The Princess website also directly states what post #25 says - no tanks, shorts or jeans.

Me, too! I wore jeans yesterday and it was 97 degrees here in Central Texas. They felt great with my Hawaiian shirt as I drove around in my convertible with the top down (AC going, of course! ;)) I love it when people from cooler climates tell those of us in the South what we like to wear!

I'd choose shorts for a hike in the tropics but jeans in an air conditioned dining room in the evening? Why not? What is it about khaki that automatically elevates it above denim? :confused: I have to assume that this attitude against jeans goes back to the days when they were only worn on farms. But, my gosh, that was a very long time ago! My generation (and I'm 52) grew up in jeans. My 75-year-old mother wears them, too, though probably not for dinner, and she would admit that it's a generational thing. Then again, when I was 18, she wouldn't let me get my ears pierced because only "those kind" of girls had pierced ears. Later, not only did she get hers pierced, so did my grandmother! :D

I'm thrilled for you, but there are certain situations where jeans are not appropriate. Would you wear jeans to a dinner at the White House? Would you wear them to a wedding at a fine restaurant or catering facility? I would hope not. There are dress codes for different settings. Princess sets a dress code. Just because you live in jeans in your day to day life, doesn't mean that you should wear them in every situation. If you want to wear jeans everywhere, including a cruise, then go on NCL and enjoy yourself.

I dress casually in my day to day life, but I enjoy dressing each night on a cruise. It makes the voyage special. The ships today are beautiful...the lounges, dining rooms, the common areas as so beautifully decorated. Why not dress a little nicer to match your surroundings. You might actually like it.;)

Just seven months ago on the CB, on formal night, adult male, in shorts (jeans), and a tee shirt. If there is a rule, it's not really being enforced.

As of the July 15th sailing, a new maitre'd is on board CB. They are enforcing the dress code every evening now.

After reading a different thread on dining room dress a few days ago, I thought I was the only person who couldn't figure out why another person's dress (clean, just too casual) affected others so much. Last I checked, putting on a tux doesn't stop someone from drinking too much and loudly telling lewd jokes at dinner. Putting on a cocktail dress doesn't stop someone from talking about health problems loudly enough to be heard 3 tables away in all directions. Perhaps my attitude comes from living in a place where it doesn't matter if you dress formally or wear jeans to the opera...as long as you enjoy the music, turn off your cell phone, and don't talk during the performance.

People who dress in jeans can act inappropriately as well.;)

My question still is....why does it bother YOU by what SOMEONE ELSE is wearing? If they are nice, not obnoxious, cordial what does it matter? How can their dress ruin your vacation? I follow the rules, I understand dress codes but I could care less what others do in regards to the dress code. I have enough going on in my life to be concerned with what someone may or may not be wearing on my (and their) cruise.

My question still is....why does it bother YOU by what SOMEONE ELSE is wearing? If they are nice, not obnoxious, cordial what does it matter? How can their dress ruin your vacation? I follow the rules, I understand dress codes but I could care less what others do in regards to the dress code. I have enough going on in my life to be concerned with what someone may or may not be wearing on my (and their) cruise.

It is called respect for others. Yes, what you wear reflects your respect for both yourself and others.

This thread is now very close to being beaten to death & we will soon see it locked, probably yet this weekend. Wernew....precious few have ever actually said their vacation was "ruined" by someone elses dress on formal night. I dont think I have ever seen it. You simply need to know that many people view this topic differently. It isnt that hard to understand. Why is irrelevant, but you can read the numerous threads on this if you really want to know why. It's been stated from both sides countless times.

Archived