Post cruise in Paris, 2 great finds!

We spent 2 and a half glorious days in Paris following our cruise in the Mediterranean and I'd thought I'd pass on a couple of our highlights besides the Louvre, Notre Dame and Printemps. ;)

We stayed at the Villa Luxembourg, on Blvd. de Montparnasse in the 6th and were very pleased with the hotel and their service. We booked a family suite for the 4 of us (Mom, Dad and 2 teens) which turned out to be 2 adjoining rooms, each with a small kitchenette. By booking through a well-known travel site, we got both rooms for less than one at most places in Paris. This is rated as 3 stars but I'd put it at closer to 4. Even with the typically small Parisian rooms, it was more than adequate and very pleasant. The front desk was very helpful with recommendations, maps, Metro advise,messages and even a late check-out to accommodate our flights. With the Vavin metro stop literally a 2 minute walk from the front door, it was very centrally located. The restaurants along Montparnasse are wonderful, too. La Coupole was fantastic.

The other "find" was the Fat-Tire Bike Tours of Paris. We took the evening tour, which started at 7pm from the south pier of the Eiffel Tower and included a boat ride on the Seine to see all the lights. As we finished the boat tour, the tower's lights blinked right on cue for us! This tour is not big on lots of factual information, but really gave a Parisian feel. The stop for ice cream at Isle St. Louis was great, too. Just an alternative for those who may be overloaded with sightseeing at the end of a cruise!

Can you tell me how you got to Paris after your cruise ended? ( and where did it end?)

Thanks for sharing!

Our cruise started started and ended in Barcelona. We used Easy Jet to get to/from Paris and had no complaints with them at all. Just be first in line and get those front seats or else the leg room is a killer.

Our original plans were to take the overnight train, but when tickets became available (60 days before travel) the low fare we thought we could get was no longer offered so it was more for the train than a flight and extra hotel night in Barcelona. I was disappointed at the time, but loved our time in that great city, too.

Our cruise started started and ended in Barcelona. We used Easy Jet to get to/from Paris and had no complaints with them at all. Just be first in line and get those front seats or else the leg room is a killer.

Our original plans were to take the overnight train, but when tickets became available (60 days before travel) the low fare we thought we could get was no longer offered so it was more for the train than a flight and extra hotel night in Barcelona. I was disappointed at the time, but loved our time in that great city, too.

We want to do the train as well. Since we are going in Nov, I found a web site that will sell us the grand class tickets for $251, 1st class $170, Tourist class is $120(I think?) we went ahead and booked grand class, just because we are two separate couples, and I wanted the ability to take a shower in the morning. You are supposed to be able to buy the ticktes 90 days in advance. Unfortunately for us, 90 days fell on Sat. so this web site won't place our order with Elipsos until Monday.

I will try and give you an update when we return, if you are still paying attention to the boards or if you give me your email.

We did consider Easyjet / RyanAir, but my only concern was luggage. The extra luggage fees looked to be outrageous. We figured it would cost us an extra $120 a person just for the luggage, which made the difference for the train not so bad, especially when you consider you don't have to pay for your Dinner and breakfast - (included in Grand Class) and the extra night in the hotel.

Did you have any problems with excess luggage fees?

We want to do the train as well. Since we are going in Nov, I found a web site that will sell us the grand class tickets for $251, 1st class $170, Tourist class is $120(I think?) we went ahead and booked grand class, just because we are two separate couples, and I wanted the ability to take a shower in the morning. You are supposed to be able to buy the ticktes 90 days in advance. Unfortunately for us, 90 days fell on Sat. so this web site won't place our order with Elipsos until Monday.

I will try and give you an update when we return, if you are still paying attention to the boards or if you give me your email.

We did consider Easyjet / RyanAir, but my only concern was luggage. The extra luggage fees looked to be outrageous. We figured it would cost us an extra $120 a person just for the luggage, which made the difference for the train not so bad, especially when you consider you don't have to pay for your Dinner and breakfast - (included in Grand Class) and the extra night in the hotel.

Did you have any problems with excess luggage fees?

Hi Pat,

I'll be really interested to hear how the booking goes as this is exactly what we did. Through EuroRailways.com, we thought we had a reservation at a reasonable rate, but when the day came to confirm the booking they said that the fares had increased and the promotional fare we had originally reserved was no longer available. You are right, it was 90 days. And, as with your timing, our "90 day" day was on a weekend. I hope it all works well for you! Maybe our problem stemmed from the start of August's typical holiday season.

The luggage weight limits on EasyJet were a challenge! 20kg (or about 44 lbs) per person with 1 carry-on. We each had a 25" or 26" rolling lightweight suitcase and either a backpack, tote or other suitable carry-on. At the start of the trip we were just at the limit... but by the end of the cruise, we were a couple of kilos over. :o Thankfully, for both EasyJet flights we took after the cruise the check-in clerks overlooked this extra weight. The other alternative is to simply buy an extra bag or two at the time of booking. 7.50euro at time of booking or 15euro at flight time.

Keeping our luggage to a minimum was a blessing in disguise, as we could each manage our own and felt a little more mobile that way. For the first vacation in a long time, I wore everything I packed at least once! We did have a few things laundered on the ship, too.

Let me know when you find out about the rail tickets.

Hi Pat,

I'll be really interested to hear how the booking goes as this is exactly what we did. Through EuroRailways.com, we thought we had a reservation at a reasonable rate, but when the day came to confirm the booking they said that the fares had increased and the promotional fare we had originally reserved was no longer available. You are right, it was 90 days. And, as with your timing, our "90 day" day was on a weekend. I hope it all works well for you! Maybe our problem stemmed from the start of August's typical holiday season.

The luggage weight limits on EasyJet were a challenge! 20kg (or about 44 lbs) per person with 1 carry-on. We each had a 25" or 26" rolling lightweight suitcase and either a backpack, tote or other suitable carry-on. At the start of the trip we were just at the limit... but by the end of the cruise, we were a couple of kilos over. :o Thankfully, for both EasyJet flights we took after the cruise the check-in clerks overlooked this extra weight. The other alternative is to simply buy an extra bag or two at the time of booking. 7.50euro at time of booking or 15euro at flight time.

Keeping our luggage to a minimum was a blessing in disguise, as we could each manage our own and felt a little more mobile that way. For the first vacation in a long time, I wore everything I packed at least once! We did have a few things laundered on the ship, too.

Let me know when you find out about the rail tickets.

Well we got our tickets, I just got the confirmation. Unfortunately, that is the good news. THe bad news is they shipped our tickets to the Hotel in France instead of to me. Now I am trying to reach them frantically by email and voice mail (have you ever noticed they never answer their phone?) to get the tickets redirected to my home address. Just in case, I have an email into the person at the hotel I have been corresponding with as well. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just mine and my husbands. But there is another couple we are travelling with, so I feel responsible for this mess I have gotten them into! I definitely would not recommend EuroRailways to anyone else.

Oh Pat, so sorry about EuroRailways' mix up! I found them less than helpful, so I'd not recommend them either. Did you try the "live help" button? It set up instant messaging with a customer service rep. Maybe they'll be more helpful to you.

Good Luck!

Archived