Anyone else as neurotic as us?

Happy HALer

Sundagger, your post (#25) is excellent and I love that your comments are largely fact- and research-based. Anecdotal stuff ("I've been fine so far with what I've been doing or not doing ....") is fine, but such stories are not experiences that can be generalized, nor should they be taken as cause and effect.

I hope people really take to heart what you have said.

Some additional comments:

1. Did any of you ever see the piece on ABC's 20/20 about what you CAN'T see in hotel rooms? They used lighting that was able to show blood and certain other *lovely* body fluids on walls and bedspreads :eek: that were not visible to the naked (didn't intend THAT pun) eye? Personally, I can't 'fathom' why anyone would think having a gazillion passengers passing through the ship's cabins would be any different from the "guests" passing through rooms in a hotel. By the way, 20/20 did the piece in UPSCALE hotels. Just a thought, many of the hotel guests are also cruise passengers.

2. There is definitely an advantage to wearing flips in the shower. It's the best way to avoid fungal and other infections. The offending organisms just love the warm moistness of the little cracks and grout in the shower floor. And whoever said, you can't just clean them away is right.

3. I think most people know this by now but, before you laugh at the dude (or dudette) that you see with a paper towel between their hand and the staircase bannister ... remember that one of the most common ways of getting sick is touching your eyes, nose or mouth after coming in contact with causative organisms. You'd have to have a video of yourself to realize how often you put your hand to your face.

So Happy HALer, obviously I don't think you're neurotic. In fact, keep up the good work ... I'd be happy to have your cabin after you disembark. :)

Oh and yes, I'm a health care professional, but you don't need to be one to know all this ... I'm just trying to head off any flames. :p

How appropos to say I'm off my SOAPbox now.:D

:cool: CoolChile

I hire someone to clean my house. HAL hires someone to clean my cabin. I'm betting HAL's employee even does the better job! :D

Possibly. But do you know who "lived" in your house last week? Probably so. Do you know who "lived" in your HAL cabin last week? Were they sick? Did they practice good hygiene? Did they leave soiled under garments in the drawer?

You are certainly free to believe whatever you'd like, but that doesn't make it a fact. There are many "germs" that exposure to/infection by does not grant long-term immunity. Sometimes due to strain variability, a person can have the same illness over and over, such as Norovirus, colds, herpes.

I posted my belief, based on facts, in an earlier thread concerning Airborne:

First, I make my decisions based on the scientific principle - basically that a theory (in this case a product) has to be shown effective in a reproducible study. Most "health supplements" don't meet that criteria. Airborne is a combination of vitamins (shown to be necessary for maintaining health) and herbs (most studies show that they are ineffective and some demonstrate that some herbs are detrimental to health).

As a "dietary supplement", Airborne does not need to be shown to do anything at all - there is essentially no regulation of supplements. If there were, Airborne would be shown to be hazardous to your health for at least a couple of ingredients. Vitamin A in the recommended dosage is toxic to your liver - the results may not be shown in a short period, but prolonged use, particularly for those people who believe that if a little Airborne is good for you, a lot is better, may have liver damage.

Airborne did have a "clinical trial" once upon a time. They have removed it from their website once it was shown to be absolutely ludicrous. There are no studies showing Airborne to be effective.

There is an article in Scientific American about Airborne:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...E657CAD1649375

Another article is in WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/fe...-cold----maybe

It does quote a naturopathic "doctor" as saying Airborne might be effective. If you believe in naturopathy, you wouldn't believe anything I say anyway, so take that into consideration.

Finally, (although there are many, many articles about Airborne), the Wikipedia does give some basic history:( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_%28dietary_supplement%29 )

I personally take a multivitamin daily, stay hydrated, try to stay rested, wash frequently, and to whatever extent is feasible I avoid persons who are sneezing and coughing.

There goes another effective placebo.:)

Personally, I spent a childhood covered in germs and bacteria doing all of the things today's PC-world children aren't allowed to do, but that most kids for hundreds of years did - playing in dirt and with dirty things, and breaking all of the hygeine rules. Since then, I don't think about germs or bacteria - I just go about a logical and habitual routine - I do wash my hands after using the toilet, and after eating - but don't use any 'special' soaps or anti-bacterial products. I truly don't think about it or worry about it.

I do agree with the idea that we may be harming ourselves more with so much anti-bacterial cleaning and scrubbing - I don't do any of it myself, but neither do I walk around unwashed and eat off my fingers. I just use standard soaps and wash as most of us have done for generations. And I think in general our immune systems can cope with more bacterial attacks and invasions than someone whose body has rarely had to fight any off. And while it may not mean I will NEVER be affected by any illnesses from bacteria or germs...I can certainly say that the odds have run very much in my favor as I've not contracted any so far in 23 cruises and innumerable planes, despite even being on several vessels with NV outbreaks. I've either been lucky or built up a slightly more resistant immune system...either way, I don't find it worth worrying about.

As for the original poster's routine - I see no problem with it at all. Everyone should do whatever they feel they need to in order to enjoy their vacation and have a good time. Certainly, the routine isn't doing any harm to others - if anything, the next person in their cabin will have an especially clean room! So if it makes you feel at ease and enjoy your trip...wonderful.

As for the original poster's routine - I see no problem with it at all. Everyone should do whatever they feel they need to in order to enjoy their vacation and have a good time. Certainly, the routine isn't doing any harm to others - if anything, the next person in their cabin will have an especially clean room! So if it makes you feel at ease and enjoy your trip...wonderful.

I like the way you summed this up.

I don't use any anti bacterial wipes. I figure if I use too much the bacteria can become more imune to them. I just wash my hands alot. That seams to help. I havent had the flu in over three years. :)

Do the HAl crew still avoid shakinh hands, or do they onlt take that precaution when red flagged?:confused:

You are certainly free to believe whatever you'd like, but that doesn't make it a fact. There are many "germs" that exposure to/infection by does not grant long-term immunity. Sometimes due to strain variability, a person can have the same illness over and over, such as Norovirus, colds, herpes.

I am not looking for an argument..I just want to point out that bacterial and viral infections are two different things.

Herpes is due to a viral infection. There are antiviral medications, which target the virus and can mask symptoms, but do not kill them, since someone who has them can have repeated outbreaks. Antibiotics do not treat viruses. Bacterial infections such as strep or staph are killed by antibacterial wipes, sprays (to a certain degree). If you are infected (shown by elevated white blood cells) an antibiotic is the treatment and it kills both good and bad bacteria in the body.

Laura

It's my general belief that we over-sanitize, thus making us more susceptible to stray germs (no immunity build-up), so I don't do the anti-bacterial thing on the ship. However, I've gotten sick so many times after plane trips, that I now make sure I take Airborne before every flight. It's worked so far.

I contracted the Mersa virus some months ago...awful.

My surgeon said the so many people are immune to bacteria, due to using anti-biotics, and are contracting many viruses. I did ask him about using anti-bacterial sanitizer and he commented about no immunity build-up. He said I could use it but our bodies need to be around some forms of germs to be able to fight off the nasty ones.

Onboard I am very careful what I touch before meals and when touching my mouth.

Missygirl

I contracted the Mersa virus some months ago...awful.

Missygirl

Just the other day I was reading about MRSA, a potentially serious bacterial infection, not a virus. It is spread by any contact. Fortunately, it is curable with antibiotics, unlike most viruses. I am sorry to hear you had it.

I am not looking for an argument..I just want to point out that bacterial and viral infections are two different things.

Herpes is due to a viral infection. There are antiviral medications, which target the virus and can mask symptoms, but do not kill them, since someone who has them can have repeated outbreaks. Antibiotics do not treat viruses. Bacterial infections such as strep or staph are killed by antibacterial wipes, sprays (to a certain degree). If you are infected (shown by elevated white blood cells) an antibiotic is the treatment and it kills both good and bad bacteria in the body.

Laura

Can't say that I disagree with anything you've said. I (and probably you) could go on at great length qualifying your last sentence, but it wouldn't add much of value to this thread.

Just the other day I was reading about MRSA, a potentially serious bacterial infection, not a virus. It is spread by any contact. Fortunately, it is curable with antibiotics, unlike most viruses. I am sorry to hear you had it.

Quite correct. The MR in the name stands for "methicillin resistant". It is one of the prime examples of bacteria becoming resistant to most antibiotics, probably through over-use/mis-use. Another situation was represented by the fellow from Georgia who traveled with a case of antibiotic resistant TB.

What frequently happens (and particularly in the case of TB) is that people will stop using an antibiotic when their symptoms go away. They have reduced, but not eliminated the offending bacteria and those colonies remaining *may* become resistant to that antibiotic. An example of evolution.

MayoClinic.com has a good, brief article about it - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

Quite correct. The MR in the name stands for "methicillin resistant". It is one of the prime examples of bacteria becoming resistant to most antibiotics, probably through over-use/mis-use. Another situation was represented by the fellow from Georgia who traveled with a case of antibiotic resistant TB.

What frequently happens (and particularly in the case of TB) is that people will stop using an antibiotic when their symptoms go away. They have reduced, but not eliminated the offending bacteria and those colonies remaining *may* become resistant to that antibiotic. An example of evolution.

MayoClinic.com has a good, brief article about it - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

Let's try to not confuse the issue. Over use/misuse of antibiotics has nothing to do with trying to sanitize a cabin. This thread is about not getting sick in the first place. Let's try to stay on topic. No offense to anyone. I agree with almost everything on this thread.:)

Let's try to not confuse the issue. Over use/misuse of antibiotics has nothing to do with trying to sanitize a cabin. This thread is about not getting sick in the first place. Let's try to stay on topic. No offense to anyone. I agree with almost everything on this thread.:)

You are correct - this topic is easy to stray from. Room sanitizing is good.

Ahoy!

There was a well known fellow with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) that had a particular aversion to germs (and the size of peas that he would seperate out to size). His name, Howard Hughes.

Seriously though, the cabin stewards all use sanitizing solutions when cleaning up the staterooms which usually happens at least twice/day. While walking about the ship it difficult not to find a memeber of the housekeeping staff sanitizing railings, tables, etc.

To answer your original query, no we don't worry about it. We just use common sense and proven hygiene, i.e., WASHING HANDS WITH SOAP AND WARM WATER multiple times per day ( at home, at play, on a plane, on a ship, etc). I've been in the medical field since age 19 and I'm NOW semi-retired (work only 42 hours/week with weekends off!) working in our local public health department. My wife has been an RN for 35+ years and I can tell you the cheapest and easiest precaution you can take is to WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER.

I do agree with a previous poster that please do "what floats your boat" (pardon the pun).

In any event, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE! No disrespect intended (it's a great life ain't it?).

Bon Voyage and Good Health (and WASH THOSE HANDS)!

Bob:)

My wife and I always wipe everything in our cabin with antibacterial wipes. We wipe the inside of drawers, counters, tub, toilet, counters, just about everything we might touch or set something on. We skip the floor, but we usually don't walk on it barefoot either. This usually takes us about 10 minutes. It is easier for us to relax after we do this.

After reading recent posts regarding the soiled under garment in the closet and the dirty glass, I don't think we will do less cleaning on our upcoming cruise. Anyone else do something similar? Have any tips?

I worked in a motel straight out of high school (1975) - a national chain, brand new hotel, right on the coast of California. You would not believe what we were taught.....gross.....if anyone wants details I'll be happy to provide them but believe me, any time I start to talk about it my kids say "ENOUGH!!". and NO ONE likes to stay at a motel with me!!! At any rate, there are things that motel maids and I am assuming ship room stewards are told to ignore, and things they HAVE to do (i.e., things that are obvious). My eyes CONSTANTLY wander where they shouldnt (corners, under beds, bathroom floors, etc). I don't think you can ever be too careful and running antibacterial wipes over things certainly cant hurt. Just makes me mad that we feel we have to do it!!

As a side note, my oldest daughter contracted spinal menigitis 3 1/2 years ago.....we were told by her physician that it can be water borne....she had just come home from Disneyland and she truly feels thats where she contracted it. I am sure she owns stock in some antibacterial wipe company because she cleans EVERYTHING and her children are the cleanest you would ever see....but its sad in a way....they can't pet animals or pick up a pretty rock without a "wipie" coming out....she is sooooooo scared of going thru that again (or having one of her children go thru it). So I guess there's something to being "too" cautious....but I still go thru my hotel rooms with a fine tooth comb!

Shari

This is a song about OCD sung to the tune of "Oh, What A Beautiful Morning!" from the musical "OKLAHOMA!"

There's a bright golden spill on the toilet,

Should I mop it, or scour it, or boil it?

And how many times more must I check the front door?

And can I get AIDS from that stain on the floor?

Oh, What an OCD morning!

Oh, What an OCD day!

I've got that OCD feeling!

I will be checking all day!

Ten o'clock and the tension is mounting,

Pretty soon I just know I'll start counting.

Then it's shower time -- hurray!

And I'm scrubbing all day!

And with no help in sight I'll be finished next May!

Oh, what an OCD morning!

Oh, what an OCD day!

I've got that OCD feeling!

Washing is here to stay!

Anonymous.

Don't read it more than twice or you will be singing it all day.:)

sickcold.gif.5b3a426b1356dc5aff32fffd980c4932.gif

I like the fresh smell of clean. So I always take clorox wipes and use them to clean down our cabin along with a plug in scent. It is my cabin for the week or more and if it makes me feel better so be it. I do appreciate the way HAL refreshens the room twice a day.

Linda

I worked in a motel straight out of high school (1975) - a national chain, brand new hotel, right on the coast of California. You would not believe what we were taught.....gross.....if anyone wants details I'll be happy to provide them but believe me, any time I start to talk about it my kids say "ENOUGH!!". and NO ONE likes to stay at a motel with me!!! At any rate, there are things that motel maids and I am assuming ship room stewards are told to ignore, and things they HAVE to do (i.e., things that are obvious). My eyes CONSTANTLY wander where they shouldnt (corners, under beds, bathroom floors, etc). I don't think you can ever be too careful and running antibacterial wipes over things certainly cant hurt. Just makes me mad that we feel we have to do it!!

Shari

I must say that we wash down our room. We are also big hand washers and for our most recent cruise, we bought a bottle of hand sanitizer with us to keep in the room. I was impressed with the availability of handsanitizer and wipes all over the ship (Celebrity Infinity). This is new since cruised last, but we didn't see many people using it. I also avoid touching the railings and use a knuckle to press the elevator button. Just a few extra precautions. Remember too that in the buffet, you are touching serving spoons that others who are not so "clean" have been using.....and right before you eat!

I quoted the above statement because I'm curious what types of things you are referring to. Not looking for disgusting details, but perhaps you could elaborate to a small degree? Thanks!

I must say that we wash down our room. We are also big hand washers and for our most recent cruise, we bought a bottle of hand sanitizer with us to keep in the room. I was impressed with the availability of handsanitizer and wipes all over the ship (Celebrity Infinity). This is new since cruised last, but we didn't see many people using it. I also avoid touching the railings and use a knuckle to press the elevator button. Just a few extra precautions. Remember too that in the buffet, you are touching serving spoons that others who are not so "clean" have been using.....and right before you eat!

I quoted the above statement because I'm curious what types of things you are referring to. Not looking for disgusting details, but perhaps you could elaborate to a small degree? Thanks!

Most people know that bedspreads and blankets are NOT changed on a daily basis. We were taught that unless there was a REAL GOOD reason to request a clean one, not to bother. And then we had to get the head maid to second our opinion! So....what may have been disgusting to me may not have been to another person, and the bedspread and/or blanket would stay. Another: when we opened a room, we were to go grab all ashtrays and glasses and immediately run hot water in the bathroom sink, pour in the special dishsoap we were given, and let the two soak TOGETHER while the beds were made, room dusted and vacuumed, etc. Did you notice that we were not to clean the sink first? Yep, soak that stuff together in a sink where people just brushed their teeth.....DISGUSTING. If we were caught cleaning the bathroom first and then soaking the two it was big trouble (a waste of time basically cuz you would have to go back and clean the sink again.) Obviously I refuse to use anything but plastic cups in a motel bathroom. I am sure all of this has changed in the past 30 years but it still gives me the shivers to think this was acceptable.

Is that enough to disgust you?;)

Happy trails! Shari

Most people know that bedspreads and blankets are NOT changed on a daily basis. We were taught that unless there was a REAL GOOD reason to request a clean one, not to bother. And then we had to get the head maid to second our opinion! So....what may have been disgusting to me may not have been to another person, and the bedspread and/or blanket would stay. Another: when we opened a room, we were to go grab all ashtrays and glasses and immediately run hot water in the bathroom sink, pour in the special dishsoap we were given, and let the two soak TOGETHER while the beds were made, room dusted and vacuumed, etc. Did you notice that we were not to clean the sink first? Yep, soak that stuff together in a sink where people just brushed their teeth.....DISGUSTING. If we were caught cleaning the bathroom first and then soaking the two it was big trouble (a waste of time basically cuz you would have to go back and clean the sink again.) Obviously I refuse to use anything but plastic cups in a motel bathroom. I am sure all of this has changed in the past 30 years but it still gives me the shivers to think this was acceptable.

Happy trails! Shari

Disgusting is in the eye of the beholder. I would never use a hotel bedspread. A few months ago I found an uneaten chicken wing stuck to the corner of the spread. I have also seen some pretty scary cleaning procedures.

My wife and I always wipe everything in our cabin with antibacterial wipes. We wipe the inside of drawers, counters, tub, toilet, counters, just about everything we might touch or set something on. We skip the floor, but we usually don't walk on it barefoot either. This usually takes us about 10 minutes. It is easier for us to relax after we do this.

After reading recent posts regarding the soiled under garment in the closet and the dirty glass, I don't think we will do less cleaning on our upcoming cruise. Anyone else do something similar? Have any tips?

I do the same thing....are we neurotic? or just plain careful? I think the ladder:)

Lynne:)

I do the same whether I stay in a 5 star or on a cruise ship.

BTW- When I shop at a store I wipe the handles and seat of the cart. Tests have shown more fecal bacteria than on a toilet seat due to infants in diapers.

It just makes me feel better!

Happy trails! Shari

Not substantially. I carry plastic glasses for my own use and don't touch the ones provided by the hotels/motels. I stay a lot healthier that way.

Archived