HELP! Transfers in YVR?!?

midwest917

Help. My wife and I are sailing in the Infinity September 9. While this is not our first cruise (number 10), this is our first departing from Canada.

We received paperwork from Celebrity, with information on US Direct, (seemed like an advertisement). The information says that if we do not take transfers from Celebrity, we can not use US Direct, thus we should expect up to a two hour wait at customs/immigration and long waits at the piers.

We are arriving via Air Canada that morning around 10a.

has anyone not used US Direct? What are your experiences at the pier and airport? Long waits? Should we use US Direct and the Celebrity transfers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Skip Johnson

While it is possible for a two hour wait at Customs, it's highly unlikely. I think they're trying to scare you into taking their transfer. I come home through YVR and have to go through Canada Customs all the time. A really bad day is an hour. It's usually under 20 mins. and if there's no giant planes from Asia in front of you, 10 mins. You'll be fine. And if there is a two hour wait, there's people guiding you, just tell them that you have a ship to catch, they are very nice!!

I live in Vancouver too. Customs does have long lineups when large flights come in especially from the Orient. If your in a 10 AM you have lots of time to get to the pier. A cab will cost about $40.00 to the pier. Compare that to the cost of the transfers. I would opt for the clearing customs and taking a cab if the transfers are more than $40.00 split between the number of travellers.

Fisherwoman :)

We're on the 9/16 cruise out of YVR - and opted for US Direct. I think that they whisk you to the bus and then the ship -- and you aren't technically in Canada...? You are not allowed to go downstairs - but go to US Direct instead. It only cost us $25 a piece, and we figured that a taxi would cost that much, since the pier is 45 minutes from the airport. They also collect your luggage for you, take it to the ship - then to your room. So you say goodbye to your luggage at your home airport and hello in your stateroom.

Both of the Celebrity staff I talked with were not well-versed in the program, so I got passed around alot. Also - have your reservation number - but don't go on-line. They can't register you if you are on-line or have been within the pass 20 minutes or so. They will want a FAX number - or at least the woman who was processing me had to have a FAX number because she said there was no way to e-mail or snail mail the documents. Odd.

Anyway - it sounds great, and I read good things about it in one of the reviews.

I have often seen the US Direct signs inside the airport - I have not used it but I think you basically follow a different path and you are whisked away without having to deal with any kind of customs etc.

I think the reverse also works well - you check your luggage in on the ship - and then you just arrive at the airport and not need to worry about a thing.

For me it would definitely be worth it.

Sorry to be adding to this thread, but my question is somewhat on-topic:

Would anyone be able to recommend a reliable cab/limo company that we can trust to call when the ship arrives back in Vancouver to get to the airport? Thanks in advance for any info!

Sorry to be adding to this thread, but my question is somewhat on-topic:

Would anyone be able to recommend a reliable cab/limo company that we can trust to call when the ship arrives back in Vancouver to get to the airport? Thanks in advance for any info!

Are you on Celebrity I assume, i.e. arriving into Ballantyne pier?

I don't think you can pre-reserve a cab. I heard the cab lines can be up to 3 hours long (see one of the recent Summit reviews). I pre-reserved Vancouver Shuttle to get from Ballantyne to the airport the morning of my arrival by ship. CAD$12/person, buy your ticket right at the Tourism Vancouver booth at Ballantyne pier upon arrival. I am also planning on just walking off with my luggage so I can get off sooner and easier.

John

I do not think you would have a long wait to clear customs and immigration when you arrive by ship (arriving at the airport can be a different story). Where you could have a problem if you do not take the Celebrity transfer or have arrangements with a private shuttle/driver service is the lineup for a taxi. This is a problem at both Canada Place (Mercury) and Ballantyne Pier (Summit and Infinity). If your flight is before 1:00 p.m. I highly recommend taking the transfer or arranging for a private shuttle. We have had 3 visits to Ballantyne this season and the lineups for taxi service have been very very long.

Midwest..you are arriving via air Canada?? Is that flight from the US? If not you can't use US direct anyways because you have already entered Canada and at the pier will have to go back into the US via their Customs and Immigration.

If you are arriving from the US IT IS A GOOD OPTION but as stated you can not leave the controlled area's which includes the bus and the US side of the Pier & go directly to the ship.

I don't think there is a great benefit on arriving but due to taxi lines at both piers on coming home I think it would be a great option to use to get to the airport without too much hassle.

My most recent experience in Vancouver (June 2007) was terrible, immigration at ship disembarkation was easy strictly a walk through as our luggage was taken directly to airport where we reclaimed it and then stood in line at airline counters for 45 minutes and then two hours in line to clear US Immigration and security. I have flown through YVR to the states on business in the past and never seen anything like what we experienced. I know that there were three cuise ships dumping people at the airport that morning so that may have created the problem.

When I got the info about US direct, it sounded too good to be true. But having used it leaving from Newark to Vancouver and using Luggage Valet on the way back on my July 27 sailing I can only say it was BETTER THAN ADVERTISED. I checked three bags at Newark and three bags arrived at my cabin door later in the day. WHAT A BLESSING IT WAS NOT TO HAVE TO DRAG MY BAGS AROUND WITH ME ESPECIALLY WHEN MY WIFE IS IN A WHEELCHAIR.

In full disclosure, there is a separate charge for luggage valet and transfers going back home and you have to be cleared by your airline carrier. But, the benefits increase in that you get your luggage tags and boarding passes delivered to your cabin and you are the first to leave the ship and are taken through the back of the airport where you show your passport to the US customs.

IF I WASN'T CLEAR ENOUGH IT WAS WELL WORTH THE INCREMENTAL COST

BY THE WAY THE TAXI THAT I SAW ALL WERE VERY SMALL.

We used Carey Limo for our transfers to and from the ship for our Infinity cruise in June. They were great and reliable.

Do you happen to remember how much it cost? An approx. amount would be greatly appreciated, just so we have any idea. Thanks!

We are on Frontier Airlines so I guess we are SOL since they are not listed on the US Direct page?? I don't know why that is.

So if I'm reading these posts correctly, it is highly recommended to either use Celebrity's transportation or the Vancouver shuttle? At this point, we have made no arrangements for transportation to the pier. Our flight is "scheduled" to arrive at YVR at 12:00 noon. The Celebrity website states "2:00 PM" for their transfer from YVR to the pier. Surely we can be transported sooner than that. Anyone know???

We are on Frontier Airlines so I guess we are SOL since they are not listed on the US Direct page?? I don't know why that is.

So if I'm reading these posts correctly, it is highly recommended to either use Celebrity's transportation or the Vancouver shuttle? At this point, we have made no arrangements for transportation to the pier. Our flight is "scheduled" to arrive at YVR at 12:00 noon. The Celebrity website states "2:00 PM" for their transfer from YVR to the pier. Surely we can be transported sooner than that. Anyone know???

The biggest problem has to do with getting from Ballantyne pier, not to it. Taxis at Ballantyne are at a premium for incoming cruise passengers. You should not have any problem getting from YVR to the pier through a shuttle, limo, taxi, etc. Actually, departing at 2pm for a noon arrival is not too much time -you won't have your luggage until 12.45pm or so.

I hope all goes well with your arrival if you are departing on your cruise the same day you arrive at YVR.

They (X) likely just group up for that time.

For your own arrangements check http://www.yvr.ca/

The biggest problem has to do with getting from Ballantyne pier, not to it. Taxis at Ballantyne are at a premium for incoming cruise passengers. You should not have any problem getting from YVR to the pier through a shuttle, limo, taxi, etc. Actually, departing at 2pm for a noon arrival is not too much time -you won't have your luggage until 12.45pm or so.

I hope all goes well with your arrival if you are departing on your cruise the same day you arrive at YVR.

Our ship actually leaves from Canada Place.

I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well on embarkation day. We would rather fly in the day before, but due to my husband's work schedule, it was not an option.

I have been looking at the services on the Vancouver Shuttle page. The shuttle only drops at the corner of Seymour & Cordova streets. Since I've slept since my last Vancouver visit, how far is that from the pier? Is this the only shuttle company in Vancouver??

At this point it seems that my only option is to use the cruise ship transportation which does not pick up until 2:00 PM. But it's cheaper than a cab.

I have been looking at the services on the Vancouver Shuttle page. The shuttle only drops at the corner of Seymour & Cordova streets. Since I've slept since my last Vancouver visit, how far is that from the pier? Is this the only shuttle company in Vancouver??

At this point it seems that my only option is to use the cruise ship transportation which does not pick up until 2:00 PM. But it's cheaper than a cab.

Not sure about the specifics of Vancouver Shuttle except that they pick me up at Ballantyne and drop me off at YVR :) .

You can try a company called something like Limojet Gold. I tried to use them last year but we had too many people and luggage for one limo. But their price was reasonable. Do a search for them on the net - pretty easy to find.

John

Hi

I just came off the Infinity on Aug 19 at Ballantyne Pier.

You should go to http://www.portvancouver.com to check how many ships will be at your pier on disembarkation day.

There are a limited number of taxis to serve both Ballantyne Pier and Canada Place.

We were let off the ship at 8:45 am. There were 6 Customs Officers and 5 taxi stands. By the time we got our taxi, it was 10:30 am.

But in the terminal, there are also lots of local operators who will take you on a 4 hour city tour and drop you off at the airport for $ 55 per person.

If you use US Direct, you disembark the ship at 8 am and go directly to the airport even if your flight is in the evening.

Everyone is off the ship by 9:30 am.

Also, United airlines has opted out of the program.

The cost was $20 per person ... and that was just for the Vancouver arrival to the ship. We are not flying home for our disembarkation point.

Very reasonable price. Cheaper than a taxi I think. I really thought they would soak us for alot more than that!

The cost was $20 per person ... and that was just for the Vancouver arrival to the ship. We are not flying home for our disembarkation point.

Very reasonable price. Cheaper than a taxi I think. I really thought they would soak us for alot more than that!

Which transfer service is this??

Archived