Paris Airoport

olga77

Hi all,

Can you hep with Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport as their web site isn't very informative. I found that there is a RER train that goes to the center of Paris. Which train and which line to take? Also where is a luggage storage at the airoport? If someone can answer these questions it would be very helpful... Thanks.:)

I found that there is a RER train that goes to the center of Paris. Which train and which line to take?
There is only one RER train that goes from CDG.

CDG Terminal 2 is the last station on that line (and Terminal 1 the next-to-last). All the trains from CDG go to central Paris.

Anyway, you'll see all this on the page that I gave you the link for on your thread.

If possible, take an express (direct) train, even if it means waiting a few minutes longer on the platform. Local trains stop at 10 suburban stations on their way into the city, adding 15 minutes or more to the normal 30-minute trip time. If you're traveling with anything larger than a carry-on suitcase, look for a bicycle compartment behind the driver's cockpit. (These compartments have their own set of doors.) You'll have to stand during the trip into Paris, but you'll be out of other passengers' way and you'll find it easier to get off if the train gets crowded. On trips to the airport, be sure that your train's destination is Charles de Gaulle-Roissy. (B3 trains go to CDG; B5 trains split off for another suburb.)

Thank you guys for your help...:p

As I just found out there is no baggage storage at CDG, so we need to stay at the hotel for one night.... Do you suggest to stay at the Airoport hotel or go to the one that close to major city attractions? (Note: we'll go to the center of Paris anyway, so it is a matter of where to stay/sleep; close to the airoport or further in the city). Our flight back home is around 10 am.

:o

Well, you can certainly sleep a little later if you stay at the airport hotel, but do keep your wits about you traveling back to CDG on the RER late at night, especially if there's no express train. When I say the local makes stops in the suburbs, I'm not talking about pleasant little towns in Connecticut; the suburbs (banlieues) ringing Paris can be pretty scary. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banlieue and http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/15/europe/web-0415elections.php for further information. My choice for a fun, relaxed end-of-trip-experience would be to spend the night in Paris near the Gare du Nord and get up early; the RER starts running around 5 AM.

Well, you can certainly sleep a little later if you stay at the airport hotel, but do keep your wits about you traveling back to CDG on the RER late at night, especially if there's no express train. When I say the local makes stops in the suburbs, I'm not talking about pleasant little towns in Connecticut; the suburbs (banlieues) ringing Paris can be pretty scary. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banlieue and http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/15/europe/web-0415elections.php for further information. My choice for a fun, relaxed end-of-trip-experience would be to spend the night in Paris near the Gare du Nord and get up early; the RER starts running around 5 AM.

Very inspiring, thanks. :cool:

After deep research at work ;) and talking to my DH million of times, I(we) finally decided to spend a night at the hotel by the Eiffel Tower. We will start our tour from the there (since I want to get to the top of the Tower first) and walk around for whatever time we'll be able to manage. I told my DH that we're not coming back to the hotel before we see everything, although it would be later at night. The hotel prices are within good range ($120-130 per night); I don't feel like speding over $200 since we just be there for few hours....

Thank you again everyone for your input.

I(we) finally decided to spend a night at the hotel by the Eiffel Tower. I told my DH that we're not coming back to the hotel before we see everything, although it would be later at night.

Good. My first view of the tower from the Trocadero Palace plaza literally took my breath away. There is a restaurant on the second level; very expensive, but quite a view. If you have time during the day, try to see Sainte-Chapelle in the Palais de Justice; it's small, but is astonishly beautiful if you like 13th century stained glass. Borrow or buy a guidebook before you go. Enjoy. And tell your husband you may want to return...

I(we) finally decided to spend a night at the hotel by the Eiffel Tower.
If this is what you're doing, and you have to get to a 10 am flight, give serious consideration to getting to CDG by taxi. You'd have to change trains at least once if trying to get there by Metro and/or RER from where you're staying. The hassle may just not be worth the money you'd save.

Good. My first view of the tower from the Trocadero Palace plaza literally took my breath away. There is a restaurant on the second level; very expensive, but quite a view. If you have time during the day, try to see Sainte-Chapelle in the Palais de Justice; it's small, but is astonishly beautiful if you like 13th century stained glass. Borrow or buy a guidebook before you go. Enjoy. And tell your husband you may want to return...

Thanks :) but unfortunately we'll be there just for one night (from 8:00pm to 10:am of next morning-connection flight back home). I know, I know you'd say don't be fool and stay in Paris for couple of days. The problem is that we'd be coming back from a cruise and I 'm running out of my vacation.:mad: We're planing to go to Paris later in a year for a week or so (actually I want to see small towns like Rouen and Fontainebleau more than Paris itself:p). I'd definitely consider to see Sainte-Chapelle in the Palais de Justice next time.

If this is what you're doing, and you have to get to a 10 am flight, give serious consideration to getting to CDG by taxi. You'd have to change trains at least once if trying to get there by Metro and/or RER from where you're staying. The hassle may just not be worth the money you'd save.

Yes, you know what. That's the only option with the baggage. I wanted to take a train before I found out that there is no baggage storage at the CDG and I thought that we'd leave the luggage and take a train to the city. We'd have to give away about 120 euros just for a cab.... Frustrating...:eek:

We'd have to give away about 120 euros just for a cab.
I'm not sure it would be that much. It's been some time since I last did it by cab, but the page that I linked to suggests that it shouldn't be more than about €50-€60. One thing to be aware of, though - I think that the way it works in Paris is that if your hotel calls a cab and it is despatched to you by radio, the meter is running from the point the driver accepts the call and starts driving towards you to pick you up. But this doesn't normally add very much to the fare.

I'm not sure it would be that much. It's been some time since I last did it by cab, but the page that I linked to suggests that it shouldn't be more than about €50-€60. One thing to be aware of, though - I think that the way it works in Paris is that if your hotel calls a cab and it is despatched to you by radio, the meter is running from the point the driver accepts the call and starts driving towards you to pick you up. But this doesn't normally add very much to the fare.

Ok, I see. Yes, I think during the day it's about 50 euros and during the night it's 60, which makes it from 100-120 euros roundtrip....

Ah, I was assuming that you'd happily do the RER thing on the way to the hotel. All I was thinking was that a cab would be easier for the early morning run out to the airport. But if you cab it both ways, then it seems like €120 roundtrip would be in the right ballpark.

Ah, I was assuming that you'd happily do the RER thing on the way to the hotel. All I was thinking was that a cab would be easier for the early morning run out to the airport. But if you cab it both ways, then it seems like €120 roundtrip would be in the right ballpark.

Well, my DH is a strong man:p but he doesn't feel like taking our luggage to RER, possibly changing lines, and walking to the hotel.... :D So, yep, taxi is the only option for us as we staying overnight at the hotel...

• 1 month later...

My wife cannot walk too far and I was wondering how far it is from the terminal (Iberia) to the train into Paris. What are my choices of getting to the train? Also I would like to get some recommendations for inexpensive hotels near the city center in Paris. We hope to be there fro two days Nov 12-14. Thanks, Stan

As always, it depends on your luggage situation.

If you're able to manage public transport, take the Orlyval shuttle to the RER station at Antony, and change to the RER there. Depending on exactly where you need to go, you may want to get off at the Luxembourg or St Michel stations. Or you can change to the Metro.

It looks like the nearest RER station is Denfert-Rochereau, seven stops into town from Antony. The station is about 500 yards or so from the hotel. Although you could in theory change to the Metro to go one stop to Saint-Jacques, it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle; you might as well just walk from the RER station.

But as I said, all this depends on you being able to manage your luggage on public transport. If you can, you're probably also set up (technically and temperamentally) to do that walk.

Globaliser: we have a 7:45am flight out of Orly to Barcelona. What time should we be at the airport? Due to such an early flight, we're looking for a place that's convenient for both sightseeing in Paris and to Orly. Can you suggest where we should start looking? Thanks.

I'm not a Paris expert, but my natural instinct would be to stay at an airport hotel, despite the likely cost. Otherwise, you'd be getting up and leaving your hotel almost in the middle of the night. It shouldn't be difficult to find hotels at the airport. It looks like the Hilton Paris Orly Airport and the Ibis Paris Orly Aeroport are the on-site hotels. But even then, it also looks like you'd still need a shuttle from each of them to the terminal, so it may not be that much less convenient to stay at an off-airport hotel that's close by.

You'd need to consult your airline to see what time you need to check-in for your flight.

Archived