Passport taking 8 months?!?!?

Sox Fan Cruiser

Someone just posted on our 6/22/08 roll call that they got a letter saying their passport was going to take 8 months!!! Anyone else hear about this? :confused:

I just found out my niece went last night (8/13/07) and was told April 15th, 2008! She is scheduled for a cruise on May 9th. I wonder if getting another birth certificate from the State and proof of applying for the passport would work if the passport doesn't arrive in time?

'

Someone just posted on our 6/22/08 roll call that they got a letter saying their passport was going to take 8 months!!! Anyone else hear about this? :confused:
That is an extraordinary long time--but it does happen to some folks that have unusual situations, perhaps names similar to those on a watch list, recorded judgements that restrict travel or documentation problems. It is also not standard or normal to receive a letter back from the agency, so I would suspect something 'unusual' flagged the passport of the son of the woman on your Roll Call.

I just found out my niece went last night (8/13/07) and was told April 15th, 2008! She is scheduled for a cruise on May 9th. I wonder if getting another birth certificate from the State and proof of applying for the passport would work if the passport doesn't arrive in time?
Possibly, but it may depend on which cruise itinerary she is on. I do think that the date she was given is not going to be correct--it sounds to me like they took her travel date and worked backwards three weeks and gave her that date to start following up if not received. She can track her application online, but I bet she has it in about three months.

It was my son who recieved notification of this date.He has been traveling with no problem domestically and internationally,has no judgements against him and our family has been here since the 1700 hundreds.My guess ,he put no date down for next international travel and we are from NJ where influx of applications or renewals might be higher due to number of international companies in the area.Kathe

Kathe, I know the extra staff have sorted out the backlog, so if there is no other unusual circumstance, and from what you say there is not, then there is no reason your son's renewal should take 8 months. It might be worth his while to follow this up via your local congressman. Where you live should have no bearing--renewals are sent to one location, Philly. They processed mine in 15 days. Got it last Saturday.

I sent my application for renewal in and received my new passport in a little less than 3 weeks. I did not pay extra for expedited services.

One suggestion for OP is to email the passport office and ask why your ds was told it would take 8 months. another option would be to contact your congressmen and ask why the long wait. I am sure he/she can get some answers.

Kathe, I know the extra staff have sorted out the backlog, so if there is no other unusual circumstance, and from what you say there is not, then there is no reason your son's renewal should take 8 months. It might be worth his while to follow this up via your local congressman. Where you live should have no bearing--renewals are sent to one location, Philly. They processed mine in 15 days. Got it last Saturday.

The only thing I might add to the conversation is that people should remember that, while the "new" rules re: needing passports for travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean were suspended awhile ago, they go back into effect January 1, 2008 (if memory serves.) So, if you have travel plans in '08, it would probably be wise to get an early jump on initial applications or renewals, in case the back logs start again, which wouldn't surprise me; people have a bad habit of procrastinating.

I applied for my renewal in early April, at which time I was told it would take 6 - 10 weeks, regular service. It took 16 weeks. I was literaly waiting until August 1 and I was going to call my Congressman, but it came on July 31st.

Just a couple thoughts to chew on.

I think they have sped up. We applied in January for DS' passport--his first--we received it in late July. I applied for renewal last week (Monday) but expedited b/c of how it took for DS's passport and we've got one out of country trip Labor Day. Received it today. In fact, if I had been home yesterday, it would've been yesterday.

I saw the post too and immediately called my local post office. I was told that it would take 8-10 weeks. I am getting mine processed in September. Don't need that kind of problem as we get closer.

#YANKEE FAN

Kathe: Is it possible the the "8 months" was actually "8 weeks" and was just a typo or mis-spoken/read??

5:00_Somewhere: Possible implementation is January 31 (when verbal declarations will no longer be allowed), but they are aiming for mid 2008 when passcard will also be available. Current proposal also leaves an exception for US citizens travelling RT on cruise out of US to Canada, Bahamas, Caribbean and Mexico.

My wife applied for a renewal on 1 July. We were notified yesterday that it has been mailed out. Just about 6 weeks....I'll let you know when we have it in our hands. No expedite fee has been paid and I didn't contact my congresswoman once....

The rep on the phone told me that the passports are being processed in the order of priority. So, even if you arent sailing for another year, DO NOT put that date on the application. Put something more urgent...like November 15th. You will get it back faster.

What if you didn't put any date on the passport application?

DD applied on May 18 and has not received her passport yet. As she is not traveling with us or anywhere else for that matter she didn't put any date in there. So far, no passport and it still says processing. I would just like to have it so I can put it away. Since she has no upcoming trip it's not like I can call to get it speeded up. And I don't want to call, be on hold for a long time or take the line away from someone who really needs their passport.

What if you didn't put any date on the passport application?

DD applied on May 18 and has not received her passport yet. As she is not traveling with us or anywhere else for that matter she didn't put any date in there. So far, no passport and it still says processing. I would just like to have it so I can put it away. Since she has no upcoming trip it's not like I can call to get it speeded up. And I don't want to call, be on hold for a long time or take the line away from someone who really needs their passport.

its been too long call the number and ask them what is the hold up..anything more than 12 weeks is over due.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

this is the department of state website it says its taken 10-12 weeks. the person who said april was pulling your leg.

The rep on the phone told me that the passports are being processed in the order of priority. So, even if you arent sailing for another year, DO NOT put that date on the application. Put something more urgent...like November 15th. You will get it back faster.

that's right lie on the application....

Archived