Passport taking 8 months?!?!?

Sox Fan Cruiser

that's right lie on the application....

Nice. :cool:

But yeah, I guess I am saying to lie. But perhaps since our Gov't passport agency will lie to us, saying that we will have it within 10-12 weeks, and that is clearly not happening, there is no harm in stating an earlier date.

We would not be having these posts, or these travel nightmares if the passport agency had appropriately prepared. If passports were processed timely, there would be no issue of discussion right now. So yeah... I guess that makes me a liar!

Whatever. Evidently you must have your passport, right?

5:00_Somewhere: Possible implementation is January 31 (when verbal declarations will no longer be allowed), but they are aiming for mid 2008 when passcard will also be available. Current proposal also leaves an exception for US citizens travelling RT on cruise out of US to Canada, Bahamas, Caribbean and Mexico.

When do you think they're going to make this decision though? When everything is really, really backlogged again? It seems some agency needs to make a decision and stick with it at some point - travelers no longer believe these deadlines.

Nice. :cool:

But yeah, I guess I am saying to lie. But perhaps since our Gov't passport agency will lie to us, saying that we will have it within 10-12 weeks, and that is clearly not happening, there is no harm in stating an earlier date.

We would not be having these posts, or these travel nightmares if the passport agency had appropriately prepared. If passports were processed timely, there would be no issue of discussion right now. So yeah... I guess that makes me a liar!

Whatever. Evidently you must have your passport, right?

my wife's came in 6 weeks exactly a renewal filed 7/1 and arrived on 8/15. But even if it didn't, lying to get to the head of the line is a no no. Just because the government is incompetent shouldn't make you a liar. Two wrongs don't make a right.

my wife's came in 6 weeks exactly a renewal filed 7/1 and arrived on 8/15. But even if it didn't, lying to get to the head of the line is a no no. Just because the government is incompetent shouldn't make you a liar. Two wrongs don't make a right.

See...Just like I thought. You have yours and your DW has hers too. You'd be singing a whole different song if you were waiting or frustrated with not getting it timely.

To those who are still waiting, or haven't yet applied... Do what you must. According to the news today, we are facing yet another passport crunch in January 2008.

See...Just like I thought. You have yours and your DW has hers too. You'd be singing a whole different song if you were waiting or frustrated with not getting it timely.

To those who are still waiting, or haven't yet applied... Do what you must. According to the news today, we are facing yet another passport crunch in January 2008.

? We applied 6 weeks ago. We didn't need the renewal in our hands until 11/15 so we applied in plenty of time. Actually my wife's passport didn't expire until February 08 but I was concerned that one of the countries we are going to requires a passport with six months at least before we came home. If it hadn't come in time I know how to get it out of the pile, but instead of using influence, lying, or bribing Condy Rice, we applied in plenty of time. No one is waiting 8 months for their passport unless they haven't made required child payments(one of the reason it takes so long is they have to check that list before they issue a passport) but if you are making your child payments on time are not on the terrorist or fugitive watch list you WILL have your passport in 4 months or less and if you don't call the DOS first and if they can't help you call your congress member---they have special numbers to call to help out constituents. But I wouldn't lie on an official application...where you are certifying all the information is correct. You can do it if you want but that doesn't make it right.

Yes I have mine and my wife's because we planned ahead sufficiently to get it.

? We applied 6 weeks ago. We didn't need the renewal in our hands until 11/15 so we applied in plenty of time. Actually my wife's passport didn't expire until February 08 but I was concerned that one of the countries we are going to requires a passport with six months at least before we came home. If it hadn't come in time I know how to get it out of the pile, but instead of using influence, lying, or bribing Condy Rice, we applied in plenty of time. No one is waiting 8 months for their passport unless they haven't made required child payments(one of the reason it takes so long is they have to check that list before they issue a passport) but if you are making your child payments on time are not on the terrorist or fugitive watch list you WILL have your passport in 4 months or less and if you don't call the DOS first and if they can't help you call your congress member---they have special numbers to call to help out constituents. But I wouldn't lie on an official application...where you are certifying all the information is correct. You can do it if you want but that doesn't make it right.

Yes I have mine and my wife's because we planned ahead sufficiently to get it.

That is exactly my point. Most of us, myself included DID apply in plenty of time...we planned ahead...we were proactive and look where we are. Still no passports. So, lie or not... we have to work within whatever sytem that is handed to us, even if that means we find a technicality in their system and use it to our advantage.

Might I remind you that it was the representative at the Passport agency that gave me that little tip. And it does not allow anyone to cut to the front of the line, but instead, allows someone to make the Gov't stick to the 10-12 week deadline that they have promised.

I'm saying, look at a calendar, count ahead 12 weeks, and use that date as your travel date. If you put down that you're not traveling until next May, you run the risk of them putting your application in a dead file cabinet someplace and come next May...still no passport.

I realize that way of thinking is just plain wrong in your mind. But, it works and I'm not asking for any special treatment...just a passport within the timeframes promised. Those who choose to use the information will, and those who feel its wrong wont.

What if you didn't put any date on the passport application?

DD applied on May 18 and has not received her passport yet. As she is not traveling with us or anywhere else for that matter she didn't put any date in there. So far, no passport and it still says processing. I would just like to have it so I can put it away. Since she has no upcoming trip it's not like I can call to get it speeded up. And I don't want to call, be on hold for a long time or take the line away from someone who really needs their passport.

Call the 800#. I got thru very quickly and easily the other day. They can tell you how to fix your blank date, or at least give you an idea of when it's coming. They can also tell you what facility it's being processed out of. A lot of the boards are saying that they've had good luck in processing with the facility in NC. :)

Fox news is reporting a change in time frames for expedited passports.

They have said it will now take three weeks for an expedited passport(this is not the time frame if you go to the passport offices with less than 2 weeks before you travel).A passport can be issued in one day at those passport offices.

"Effective August 16, 2007, the Department’s standard for expedited passport processing completion, as defined in 22 CFR 51.66, is ten business days from either: 1) receipt of your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center; or 2) if the passport application is already at a Passport Agency/Center, the date your request for expedited passport processing is approved. Expedited passport processing is considered complete when the passport is ready to be picked by an applicant or when it is put in the mail to the applicant." from the DOS passport website. The time frame for an non-expedited new passport is 10-12 weks.

When do you think they're going to make this decision though? When everything is really, really backlogged again? It seems some agency needs to make a decision and stick with it at some point - travelers no longer believe these deadlines.
Short answer: Anyone intending to travel in 2008 or those who want to be prepared to travel on limited notice should already have a passport or have applied for it. Waiting to get a passport until one is absolutely required is a risky choice. There is no prize for waiting until the last possible moment.

Longer Anwer: By law, the implementation has to be made before June 2009. So the final decision to implement it has to be before April 2009. It could be anytime between now and then. In reality, it will more likely be no earlier than June 2008, because of the aforementioned passcard. But could it be later? Absolutely. But everyone should already be aware that passports are going to be needed for almost* any border crossing, and the deadline is approaching.

A reasonable analogy would be that of custom building a house and moving into it. You sign a contract, there is a finish goal date. Then comes bad weather, construction delays, the price of concrete and the supply of wood changes, etc. etc. All along you see progress, but your original move-in date comes and goes right by on the calendar. The move in date changes several times, and you eventually find out the actual move in date about a week or two before the house is finished. Meanwhile you keep the paying on the rental place. Unless your contract had a completion clause (and you paid for it) the timing is just what it is.

As for travellers still delaying application because they are not sure when this requirement will be implemented or when they want to travel or they feel it is too costly--that is their choice. Also their risk. *The proposed law has an exclusion for US citizen cruise travelers going RT out of the US to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and Caribbean. But until that is implemented law, it is still an assumed risk by the traveler. And note that some 'Caribbean' cruises visit places other than official Caribbean countries.

Just don't whine when you come to my house asking if you can stay a week or two because you already moved out of the rental and your custom home isn't finished. And please offer to help with the dishes and laundry.:p

I applied in mid-June and got it back mid August.

I have read that those who owe back child support will not get theirs until it is paid.

I did go to the passport sight to check status and to sign up for updates thru e-mail so they kept me informed every step of the way.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got DH's passport today. Almost 8 weeks turn around time. Not bad as I anticipated. According to the news, the backlog has now passed, and the Passport agency should be operating under normal timeframes. Good luck to all those who are still waiting or have yet to apply.

MJ

Archived