Which side of ship for round trip Papeete?

ParrotTops

For those of you who have done the round trip Papeete (11 day is the one I am thinking of) which side of the ship do you recommend? I did a search on this board and some say one side for great sunset views and another side for the trip out of Raieta...I am a bit confused as to which one to choose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

We did the 11 day cruise in '05 and chose the starboard side of the ship because we were told by our travel agent that that was the best side for viewing the islands. It was wonderful. I'm sure either side is fine but we didn't take any chances and booked the same cabin for our upcoming Nov 18th cruise from Fiji.

I asked the same question on our first cruise..........and found out that it really doesn't matter. We've been starboard for all 3 cruises but that is because we are just "Repeaters".... we find a formula that works and stick with it and have booked the same cabin for our 4th cruise next fall.

BUT Port side is great too........and unless you have a balcony (well, even if you DO have a balcony.......) you will find yourselves on deck more than in your cabin. Nothing like La Palette at sunset!

Vaitape's right. Remember that you're mostly anchored, not docked in ports, so the ship swings around giving everybody a chance at difference viewing angles.

If you have a balcony, I was told that starboard was best, for the repositioning from Raiatea to Taha'a, since the views of Taha'a off to the right are quite nice. I don't know if that pertains to your itinerary. So far we have not sprung for a balcony on any of our trips--in that case it doesn't matter at all, since you will be out on deck, or sitting having breakfast outdoors at Le Grill.

As folks have said when you are at anchor the ships moves around so your view is changing no matter where you are.

I actually liked being next to the dock as opposed to looking out to sea on days when we were anchored. I like watching the activity on the dock and watching the comings and goings.

And while a balcony might be nice for a view, nothing beats being up on the deck and moving from side to side for a panorama. I can't see how a balcony can really do it justice.

But like Jim we were in an F and loved it, we went up on deck to see the views when we wanted to.

But I think either side is the "right side" for Tahiti and her islands!

Caroline

Archived