Specialty restaurant

warmwinds

All the talk about the cheese cart has me salivating...

But how do you choose which night to go to the Specialty Restaurant?

I'm sure you all have different opinions so I'd love to hear them.

And how is the Ocean Liners on the Connie? I've only been to the Olympic on Millie.

All the talk about the cheese cart has me salivating...

But how do you choose which night to go to the Specialty Restaurant?

I'm sure you all have different opinions so I'd love to hear them.

And how is the Ocean Liners on the Connie? I've only been to the Olympic on Millie.

Hi, I usually try to go on one of the informal nights.

The food is outstanding and service even better:D

OceanLiner's is wonderful...just as Olympic, Normandie and USS United

States are too;)

Enjoy your evening!:)

Hi, I usually try to go on one of the informal nights.

The food is outstanding and service even better:D

OceanLiner's is wonderful...just as Olympic, Normandie and USS United

States are too;)

Enjoy your evening!:)

I agree with Lois. Best nights are informal. Formal nights are best left to the main dining rooms and who wants to wear a tie on casual nights ;).

Mary Lou, I think I remember the wine pairing to be about $35 pp, at least it was more than the surcharge for the restaraunt. Expensive but when you go through many courses it was worth it.

They had different menus so you couldn't get everything on the main menu (trying to pair a wine with every menu selection would get a little fuzzy), but the selections were good.

It makes absolutely no difference which night you choose to go, the food and the service will be the same: outstanding. We usually pick a sea day because we know we will not have to rush back from an exhausting day ashore to get dressed and to the restaurant. The Ocean Liners differs only in decor and table layout; I personally find that decor the most appropriate of the 4 ships. And absolutely order the cheese board; it is one with wedges and blocks of cheeses from which they will cut your selection as opposed to so many ships where they bring you a plate with various cheeses you did not necessarily select.:)

I agree with Lois. Best nights are informal. Formal nights are best left to the main dining rooms and who wants to wear a tie on casual nights ;).

Mary Lou, I think I remember the wine pairing to be about $35 pp, at least it was more than the surcharge for the restaraunt. Expensive but when you go through many courses it was worth it.

They had different menus so you couldn't get everything on the main menu (trying to pair a wine with every menu selection would get a little fuzzy), but the selections were good.

Hi, I thought the wine pairing pushes the bill over 100 bucks per person?

And everyone at the table has to do it....(if you are eating there

with a group)

with a group)

Everyone does have to do it from what I've heard. I do know we were below 100 buck for each of us. Somehow, $150 total springs to mind. Keep in mind that it was a cruise and all and we don't normally keep tabs on speciality types of things. It was great evening.

Hi, I have not done it before (the pairing) and I am sure its wonderful

but not wonderful enough for me to spend 150.00;)

The last time I ate there was on Millennium back in December

and the friends I went with didn't drink that evening.

I had one glass of wine and it was FABULOUS:D

I now wish I could remember which wine it was:confused: ....it was

red and I must say it was outstanding. The Sommelier's

recommendation was spot on!

Oh, our evening was great too!!!

I understand from the Celebrity website that reservations for the specialty restaurant can be made up to 60 days in advance by calling the Captain's Club.

My question is this: does that only apply to Captain's Club members? What if this is my first Celebrity cruise, but I have five RCCL credits as a Crown & Anchor member? And does the fact that I'm in a CC cabin help at all? :confused:

And one related question, depending on the answer to the above, what if I'm on a B2B (sort of a first and second Celebrity cruise all together.) Does that change my chances for making reservations in advance for the second part of the cruise?

Thanks in advance. I'd love to make reservations in advance if possible.

with a group)

Lois,

In addition to the $30 specialty restaurant charge, the extra charge for the wine pairing menu is $27.95 plus a 15% gratuity in the specialty restaurants on the M-Class ships. So the total charge is about $62.25 On the Century, the total charge for the wine pairing menu is about $145. They serve much more expensive wines in Murano than on the M-Class ships.

Lois,

In addition to the $30 specialty restaurant charge, the extra charge for the wine pairing menu is $27.95 plus a 15% gratuity in the specialty restaurants on the M-Class ships. So the total charge is about $62.25 On the Century, the total charge for the wine pairing menu is about $145. They serve much more expensive wines in Murano than on the M-Class ships.

So my fuzzy mind still works ;).

We've spent $150 at good restaraunts around town and think the specialty restaurants on X rank up with them. OK, 1 1/2 stars vs. 2-3. Still a great romantic evening. Especially loved the harp player on our last cruise.

Also hard for the locals to come up with something better than the post-meal walk on the Promende deck or an appetiff on the verandah.

George, I realize for many folks it is quite reasonable:)

But on my own...I would probably be hard pressed to make it

back to the cabin after all that wine;)

Now, if one of those handsome waiters wants to join me.....

oh wait, that is against the rules! :D

I understand from the Celebrity website that reservations for the specialty restaurant can be made up to 60 days in advance by calling the Captain's Club.

My question is this: does that only apply to Captain's Club members? What if this is my first Celebrity cruise, but I have five RCCL credits as a Crown & Anchor member? And does the fact that I'm in a CC cabin help at all? :confused:

And one related question, depending on the answer to the above, what if I'm on a B2B (sort of a first and second Celebrity cruise all together.) Does that change my chances for making reservations in advance for the second part of the cruise?

Thanks in advance. I'd love to make reservations in advance if possible.

Hi,:) I would call the Captain's Club and tell them how many cruises

you have with Royal.

Yes, the phone in early reservations are for Capt's Club members.

If you are part of the CC already you should not have a problem

with booking in advance. They will also ask you for

a secondary request...in case your first one is already filled up.

Lois,

Be sure to make your Murano reservation via the Captain's Club as early as possible. Last year on the Millennium we were told that Murano is significantly smaller than the other specialty restaurants. It was either half or two-thirds the size of the others.

George, I realize for many folks it is quite reasonable:)

But on my own...I would probably be hard pressed to make it

back to the cabin after all that wine;)

Now, if one of those handsome waiters wants to join me.....

oh wait, that is against the rules! :D

I'm guessing its less than a half bottle per person. They really don't fill the glasses up that much and clear them out after each course (I go slug-glug). I think for the main course they have a somwhat larger pouring but most are in the 1/3 range. We haven't had a hard time of getting back to the cabin except when I step on MB's dress or shoes;). She uses her cane very efficiently to wack me.

As for the waiters, what happens on the ship stays on the ship. I've heard stories in the disembarkation lounges that ... don't know. Mostly envolving the entertainers - not sure about the waiters.

Hopefully some cruise we'll meet up with each other. I've admired your contributions to CruiseCritic.

Thank you, LoisR. Since I'm not officially a Captain's Club member until after my first Celebrity cruise, I wasn't sure how it worked. It seems that even though I have the five RCCL credits it doesn't make me a CC member, but gives me the benefits--which should include the advance reservations. I've got a ways to go before it's sixty days out, but it's fun to plan! :D Thanks again.

I'm guessing its less than a half bottle per person. They really don't fill the glasses up that much and clear them out after each course (I go slug-glug). I think for the main course they have a somwhat larger pouring but most are in the 1/3 range. We haven't had a hard time of getting back to the cabin except when I step on MB's dress or shoes;). She uses her cane very efficiently to wack me.

As for the waiters, what happens on the ship stays on the ship. I've heard stories in the disembarkation lounges that ... don't know. Mostly envolving the entertainers - not sure about the waiters.

Hopefully some cruise we'll meet up with each other. I've admired your contributions to CruiseCritic.

Thanks George and Marybeth:) as I have admired yours too.

As for the waiters, I meant to sit with me at dinner:D ;) and

that is strictly prohibited~

We're in a concerige balcony room - our first trip ... and we were not allowed to make specialty restaurant reservations. Kinda tacky if you ask me.

We've never had problems making specialty restaurant reservations on board. Even for a 7:30pm reservation which you would thing would be the most popular.

I was actually somewhat surprised at the number of open tables in April. It was a Panama (FLL to SD) cruise on Infinity but still. We went on one of the informal nights. We had a suite but anybody could have gotten a table (at least for 2) that evening.

Lois,

Be sure to make your Murano reservation via the Captain's Club as early as possible. Last year on the Millennium we were told that Murano is significantly smaller than the other specialty restaurants. It was either half or two-thirds the size of the others.

Please explain. If this is my first Celebrity Cruise than I can't make a reservation for Muranos?

We're in a concerige balcony room - our first trip ... and we were not allowed to make specialty restaurant reservations. Kinda tacky if you ask me.

Oh. I am knew to Celebrity (and only booked a reg balcony because I don't need fruit or flowers for 4 days). This is tacky if I can't book in advance. We were able on HAL.

Please explain. If this is my first Celebrity Cruise than I can't make a reservation for Muranos?

You can make reservations the day you board the ship.

As a Capt's club member you can make reservations prior to sailing

that ship.

Oh. I am knew to Celebrity (and only booked a reg balcony because I don't need fruit or flowers for 4 days). This is tacky if I can't book in advance. We were able on HAL.

Don't shoot the messenger please:eek:

I am just telling you how it usually works.

Archived