New to Cruising and Single

rgodar

I am looking to take a cruise in mid-march, I am 41, female and single. I want to stay away from the party ships,spring breakers and the typical "singles" cruises, but also don't want to be stuck with a ship full of families or older people. Would love to strive for somewhere in the middle. Have been trying to read about different ships and alot say "not good for singles". I am beginning to wonder if there are any ships that are ok for singles. Does anyone have suggestions? I am interested in the Eastern Carribbean or Mexican Riveria. Thanks for your assistance.

First thing is to plan the cruise when there are no spring breaks going. I wouldn't go any later then mid march because some colleges start early. The second thing is to avoid short 3 and 4 day cruises. Try a cruise that is at least 7 days long. The third item would be to go on a cruiseline that maybe isn't know for partying as much. Obviously Carnival has lots of action and I have seen things get a little out of hand on a 4 day cruise but all in all I have never had a problem on the longer ones. I guess Princess, Celebrity or RCCL may be a good bets with Celebrity probably having the lowest number of party people of the three. Princess may be a good in between line. HAL will likely have the oldest crowed but I hear on some of their newer ships there are more younger people. Hope this helps some and remember everyone will have an opinion.

Hi:) I am sailing solo next month (5th solo cruise in a row). I love CELEBRITY:) sailed them 3 times in a row. My upcoming cruise is on HAL....found a fantastic price for a solo so I am trying something new.

I am 46 years old and have been divorced for many years. I have done many vacations (I am quite independent) on my own...land and cruises.

I agree with Vince about the timing of your cruises. I can tell you I have sailed in Jan, March, May, July and now I am going in Sept.

I am not a "party animal" LOL but I do enjoy a good time. I love meeting people, but for me, I don't really care if there are other single people on the ship (but that is just me). Its very easy to meet folks on a cruise ship. And most people are very friendly~there is always at least ONE COMMON topic....the love of cruising:D

When you made the comment about if there are any ships "ok for singles"...actually all of them are fine.....it really just depends on what type of atmosphere you are looking for.

Celebrity is classy (In my opinion)...they offer plenty of things to do but aren't putting people in your face to buy a drink. They still have formal nights (I love to get dressed up)

Now, this will be my first time on HAL and its on one of their newer ships...called the Zuiderdam, going to the Eastern Caribbean...now back in the old days, HAL did have a reputation for having alot of "older pax" but I think the demographic has become a bit younger. But they also have formal nights....I don't have a chance to dress up much here at home so I love dressing on a cruise.

Anyway.......hope this helps you abit:) and good luck with your search!

Unfortunately, if mid-March is your only choice for cruising, you're going to hit a lot of spring breakers. Easter is early this year and many schools start their spring breaks from early March to the first week of April.

The problem with cruising single, as you might already know, is the single supplement. The mass market lines have outrageous SS and you will probably have to pay 200% of the regular fare. That's my main complaint with lines such as Celebrity and Princess, which are good choices for those of us who are no longer in our 30's. You can go via the guarantee share, where they will find a roommate for you, but it's not something I highly recommend. You could get a roommate that drives you crazy and that would ruin your whole cruise. Look to see if any ships are offering two for one cruises. That way you only pay the first person fare.

March and April are more expensive than other months but I'm a teacher so the only time I'm free is spring break. Two years ago, I went on HAL's Zaandam in March out of Ft. Lauderdale....very few teens and college students. There were some young families but I found it was mostly an older crowd.

Last year I cruised solo on Carnival's Jubilee out of San Juan. I was hoping that most students don't want to fly to San Juan to cruise and luckily, that was the case. It was a nice mix of people, all ages and nationalities. I'm still in touch with some of the people I met.

If you don't have flexibility with regard to dates, don't be discouraged. A good time is what you make it...have already booked the Destiny out of San Juan on March 13th.

I've cruised HAL 4 times, twice with someone, and twice alone. I had a really good time going alone, both in the the Eastern Caribbean, on the Maasdam and later the Zuiderdam.

There were people of all ages, and for the most part they were really friendly. I did go to a "singles get togther" on the first one, and was pretty embarrassed when no one else showed up.

I made some good friends on each of my singles cruises and stay in touch with some of them. I never talk to anyone from the other two, including my former girlfriend.

I will be going qn the Victory 3/13/2005, since it is a seven day cruise there

may not be a lot of drinkers on the ship besides you have to be at least 21

on the day that you book the cruise or you have to sail with some one in your cabin that is 25 years old to book a cabin so this rule will cut down on the parties.

Hi! I'm not new to cruising but I AM new to being single! I know that not everyone has a choice when they can travel but in my experience, it seems that January cruises have far fewer children and there are no college aged 'spring breakers.' We cruised out of San Juan on the Destiny Jan. 2004 and had a great time. We flew into San Juan the day before the cruise, stayed at the Coral Princess (I think that was the name of it!) and met a guy who was cruising solo. He said he does it a couple of times a year, always has a great time, and has met lots of wonderful people both singles and couples.

I'm thinking of booking a solo cruise for Jan. 2005 but am still looking around. Good luck! You'll have a wonderful time no matter which cruise/cruise line you choose.

I am also single (mid-50's) and have cruised many, many times. I have paid the single supplement (anywhere from 125% to 175%) and I have used the "guarantee share" program (never had a bad room mate yet). I always have a good time!!!

I have found that HAL tends to have better single rates, but also has the oldest crowds. Carnival tends to give a great break to singles and tends to have a good blend of ages. It is not the party ship that many people think, unless you take a 3 or 4 day cruise - then it is "who can drink the most before throwing-up crowd".

I have found that looking at each cruise line's brochures and getting a copy of their video for the ship you are interested in cruising on - will give you a good ideal of the crowd they are marketing to - it does not mean that is who will take the cruise.

I would look for cruises that leave from a city near you - that eliminates the flying all day or all night before you leave on your cruise. I would also look at the weather - keep in mind that Hurricane season is from June 1st to December 1st.

The cruises over Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve and during Spring Break, all tend to be much more expensive and have a lot more kids on it.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Marcia, I couldn't agree more. I just booked the Valor for Jan. 16th, 2005-Eastern Carib. Same thoughts...less children. I'm in my late 30's & although I love children, I don't want them monopolizing the jacuzzis, etc. Hope the weather in St Thomas/St Marten is still warm that time of year.

Linda

Marcia, I couldn't agree more. I just booked the Valor for Jan. 16th, 2005-Eastern Carib. Same thoughts...less children. I'm in my late 30's & although I love children, I don't want them monopolizing the jacuzzis, etc. Hope the weather in St Thomas/St Marten is still warm that time of year.

Linda

You'll be OK!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/climatology/monthly/USVI0006

:confused: Hi to all. I am new to cruising, and to this forum. I am booked on a Celebrity Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Summit, leaving October 15. I am looking forward to my trip, but the only drawback is I am #7 out of 7 (the other six being married couples). I am wondering if there are other single people who might be going on this particular cruise or who can offer some good advice for me to help me feel less out of place with all of them. I know I will meet a lot of people to talk to, but I'm just not sure this was such a good idea. I am in my early fifties, but definitely do not fit in with most people my age...I feel like I am in my 40's, so it can be difficult.

SStella, hi:) I have sailed Celebrity 3 times...LOVE IT:D .......I wouldn't be too concerned.......to be honest with you, how do you know the other couples don't "Feel Younger" too? I have sailed solo 4 times in a row (going Saturday for my 5th)...Unless IVAN has something to say about it:mad: .

There are tons of people on a cruise ship and truely, age isn't usually a factor on my sailings.

I am 46 and get along with most everyone~just go with an open mind and have a wonderful time....

When you say you are #7 out of 7? Are you part of a group? Why can't you be NUMBER ONE? ;)

Archived