Nonfiction Informational Book on NZ and Aus

Coastaljen

Anyone have one to recommend? I bought Vipond's book for Alaska. I bought a set of books from Amazon.com for Hawaii. Now, I need a book for my Christmas trip.

My knowledge on NZ and Australa is only what I learned from this board, so I need something to enlighten me. Also, if the book has information on some of the cities I will visit (Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Melbourn, Newcastle, or Sydney) even better. I hope to take it with me. I would go to the library, but they never seem to have the most recent, and I like to write in my books. :-)

I am currently reading Bill Bryson's Down Under which is an entertaining book on Australia. As an Aussie it is very entertaining and he really sums us up very well. He also taught me a bit about our history as well. an excellent read.

I just looked on Amazon and they are having a special on "Down Under". It is a funny book. I love his writing and have read most of his books. It does show how we can laugh at ourselves as well as our sense of humour.

Jennie

Anyone have one to recommend? I bought Vipond's book for Alaska. I bought a set of books from Amazon.com for Hawaii. Now, I need a book for my Christmas trip.

My knowledge on NZ and Australa is only what I learned from this board, so I need something to enlighten me. Also, if the book has information on some of the cities I will visit (Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Melbourn, Newcastle, or Sydney) even better. I hope to take it with me. I would go to the library, but they never seem to have the most recent, and I like to write in my books. :-)

As you stated, plenty of info here on most of these ports. Not much for Newcastle though, as it is not a regular cruise port. For a bit of info on Newcastle, search for my posts on your roll call, I left some info there about Newcastle for Ozland a couple of months ago. Here is a link to the google map I did for Ozland. Another link to Newcastle visitor centre and walkabout

In short, if you are into wines, I am sure there will be tours into the Pokolbin Vineyard area. Otherwise, IMHO, the nice unique part of Newcastle is the stretch of beaches from Nobbies to Merewether. Nice views for a picnic lunch to the ocean from Strzelecki lookout in King Edward Park, or to the Harbour (ship should be visible) from Cathedral Park. For a refreshing ale and a light lunch, the Beach Hotel at Merewether is a nice option (opposite Merewether Beach).

Newcastle has an industrial heritage, and has a past reputation of being a polluted city. While the port is still an active coal port, raw steel has not been made in the area for 8 years. The city is cleaner as a result, and the Newcastle foreshore has been transformed into an appealing location.

Cheers

If you are a AAA Member - take advantage of their Spiral Guides on New Zealand and Australia. They are to the point and very resourceful with highlights of the "must do's, restaurants and etc. They also have a "Essential" book of both regions, Both of these books are rather small where you can carry them along with you as well as read in your spare time. Hope this is of some help. PinkSuit

I ordered the AAA Spiral Guides on-line and received them a couple of days ago. They did not contain the kind of info we like to have when we venture out on our own (as we usually do on cruises). I picked up the Eyewitness New Zealand 2001 guide at the library and DH really liked the way the info was laid out. I returned the AAA guides and ordered the Eyewitness guides for NZ and Australia.

Archived