Help needed for October cruise

seagazer

We are on the Crown repositioning cruise Oct 20th out of Brooklyn. We have been on several Caribbean cruises, but this is the first time we will have a complicated packing situation, I think. We are coming from Texas and will spend Friday night in NYC, hoping to go to a Broadway musical. Then we board the ship on Saturday and sail for three sea days to our first port, St Thomas. We end up in San Juan, spend the night and fly back from there. I KNOW how to do the Caribbean part, just not sure how to dress/pack for the beginning of the trip.:confused: What will late October weather be like in NYC? How dressy do we get for sightseeing and Broadway? What do we wear for boarding and sailaway if it's not 85 degrees? How long before we get to "tropical" temperatures? I know this is silly to some of you, but with flying, weight limits, and need for several different scenarios, I feel daunted. I am usually about half packed 9 weeks out, but I have not really started this time other than knowing our formal wear. I would appreciate any suggestions, especially from New York cruisers who have dealt with this. Thanks in advance!

If you plan the formal night on board with a long black skirt or dressy black pants, then they can be worn in NY for the show. If you have a fancy short sleeve top to wear with them that you can throw a jacket over or a dressy sweater top then you wear that in NY and in the hotter climate only wear the fancy short sleeve (or sleeveless) top and the pants or skirt. a shiny gray pair of pants will also work instead of the black pants. It's up to you. Just chose dressy solid neutral bottoms and add the tops according to where you will be.

When traveling by air I pretty much wear my plane uniform LOL, black cotton knit pants, white t-shirt (short or long sleeve depending on the temps) black hoodie and white sneakers. NYC in October can be nice and warm or pretty chilly. I'd probably wear the long sleeve t-shirt, the black pants and hoodie on the plane and maybe even to board the ship. A pair of nice black pants and a dressy or sparkly top would be great for the show and again for one of your formal nights. Have a super cruise.

I would not wear an outfit to a Broadway show that I would to formal night on a cruise. For formal nights, I wear long dresses, cocktail dresses or evening trousers and these are, IMO, a bit dressy for a show these days.

For the theater in NYC in fall, I would choose black trousers, high heeled boots/shoes, silk ribbed turtleneck and leather jacket. Or, perhaps a nice pantsuit that could be worn for dinner on board. Another option would be a mid calf skirt and nice top that could be worn with different shoes on the cruise and even a different top.

For sightseeing, I stick to my basic black outfit but with low heeled boots.

NYC can get a little windy around that time of year. keep that in mind when outfit picking. having spent a large amount of time around the city you wouldnt be the first one to "put on a show" by accident if you wore the thing

We did a southern caribbean cruise out of Norfolk last year (so sad HAL isn't doing that this year or next:( ) The day we left was nice but a little cool. We didn't hit warm temps until southern Florida--and we were pretty far away from the coast (lots of seasickness on board) Likewise for the return trip, when we left San Juan we had a day and a half of very rough seas and a rain storm/cool temps. October in New York is hard to call, so I don't know how warm your trip down the coast will be. Pack a couple layers and you should be ok though. It's not like you'll need a heavy winter coat or anything--just make sure you have long pants and a light jacket....

I would not wear an outfit to a Broadway show that I would to formal night on a cruise. For formal nights, I wear long dresses, cocktail dresses or evening trousers and these are, IMO, a bit dressy for a show these days.

For the theater in NYC in fall, I would choose black trousers, high heeled boots/shoes, silk ribbed turtleneck and leather jacket. Or, perhaps a nice pantsuit that could be worn for dinner on board. Another option would be a mid calf skirt and nice top that could be worn with different shoes on the cruise and even a different top.

For sightseeing, I stick to my basic black outfit but with low heeled boots.

I would wear exactly the above except if it is warm out, I'd trade the leather jacket for a microfiber one.

Sally,

We'll be on the same cruise with you this October! Last year we went out of NYC in October also and a heavy sweater was perfect for sail away. (I used it on board sometimes as the different venues inside were sometimes COLD and i was glad i had it with me)

As for catching a Broadway show the day before, anything goes in NYC now. (going to see Putnam County Spelling Bee this Friday night!) We ALWAYS dress in layers when going into the city. Even if it is warm outside, the theaters can be chilly. I usually wear black dress pants and comfy shoes as we usually do a lot of walking.

If you haven't gotten tickets yet a suggestion might be to look for discount tickets on broadwaybox dot com to purchase discount tickets and have them in hand when you get there. Another suggestion would be to go to the half price ticket booth on Times Square the day of the show. At the half price ticket booth you don't know in advance what show they might have tickets available for, but you can ALWAYS find something great. Even some of the off-broadway shows are great! (DS has a friend in Mamma Mia on Broadway, Veronica Kuehn)

No matter what you wear or what show you see, you'll LOVE NYC! Nothing on earth like it! Have fun and SEE YOU ON October 20!

Terri

Archived