Sort of dumb question

Go-Bucks!

We've been pronouncing it: oh-she-anna...

But really don't know if that is correct..Believe our TA pronounces it this way, but really can't remember..

Another way could be: oh-she-an-e-ah

I too would like to know what actually is the correct way..:confused: Betty

P.S. No such thing as a dumb question!

According to the DVD they sent us, they pronounce it "Oh She Anna". We are taking our first cruise ever on the Nautica June 13, 2008 and would love to hear from anyone else on that trip (Rome to Barcelona) We are on the rollcall.

I pronounce it O-she-ann-ee-a, because that's the way it's spelled. It never occurred to me that it might be different. However, I'm likely to also want to visit wor-sess-ter, and wouldn't be able to find wooster.

Betsy says I don't communicate well because I'm too much of a stickler.

I say that everyone knows what I mean, but I don't know whether they are referring to Oceana or Oceania except by context or mind reading.

Oceania - the islands of the central, western and southern Pacific ocean, customarily including Australia and New Zealand.

In the use of the word in this way, the "i" is pronounced, as, O-she-an-e-a.

Another way to pronounce it is: Fan-tas-tic!

Happy cruising to all,

Susan

Oceania - the islands of the central, western and southern Pacific ocean, customarily including Australia and New Zealand.

In the use of the word in this way, the "i" is pronounced, as, O-she-an-e-a.

Another way to pronounce it is: Fan-tas-tic!

Happy cruising to all,

Susan

That is the way we pronounce our part of the world and I have always pronounced the cruise line in the same way. I just never thought there was another way of pronouncing it. :)

Jennie

Thanks for all the input - guess there isn't any particular way to pronounce it.

I have been saying "oh-shen-ee-ah", but somehow that didn't sound right. Then I thought maybe it was "oh-she-anna." Guess it might not matter much, but I didn't want to talk to a TA or friend about this line and have them wonder what I'm talking about.

Thanks again!! :p

I work up early, pondering my answer - and realized that I put it wrong!

I meant to say that I pronounce it Oh she ann ee ah.

Our minds work in funny ways - why that should wake me up is a puzzlement.

-- why that should wake me up is a puzzlement.

Probably because you're also a stickler. :)

By the way, the dictionary defines that as "someone who insists on something", which sounds like someone who tries to impose that insistence on others. That's not the way I use it; I'm generally pretty tolerant of others, but I insist to myself that I try to get things right. I don't always succeed.

Probably because you're also a stickler. :) LOL

My question for sticklers is: What is the correct way to pronounce.. "Worcestershire Sauce". Is it "Wooster" sauce or "wooster sheear sauce"...

I occasionally have problems with pronunciations: Mom & Schoolteacher Aunt would always correct me when I used the expression "Jist a minute" instead of "Just a minute", but I still catch myself saying "JIST".....DH & my Friend sometimes laugh at my pronunciations, but they both have said:

"I could care less" when they actually mean "I couldn't care Less"..

So many of us including TV & Newspaper Reporters use that expression the wrong way! It grates on me to hear it! Of course DH doesn't think I know what I'm talking about...LOL

And then there are those who refer to our wonderful "Stewards" as "Stewarts" or our beautiful "Ships" as "Boats" & those that have Dinner in the "Dinning Room"...LOL

So I guess it really does not matter how one prounces Oceania.. JMO

And just having a bit of fun..:) .Betty

Betty,

I do agree with you on the expression "I could care less" . We have always said "I couldn't care Less".. and I didn't have a clue when I first posted to these boards what people were referring to.

It also grates on me when people refer to the Dining Room as the dinning room and disembark instead of disembarkation. But when we were young we were brought up that England was the Mother Country and the Oxford Dictionery was correct in all matters.

Jennie

Betty,

I do agree with you on the expression "I could care less" . We have always said "I couldn't care Less".. and I didn't have a clue when I first posted to these boards what people were referring to.

It also grates on me when people refer to the Dining Room as the dinning room and disembark instead of disembarkation. But when we were young we were brought up that England was the Mother Country and the Oxford Dictionery was correct in all matters.

Jennie

LOL..Thanks Jennie...Years ago we always used the Oxford Dictionary in school...Later on many U.S. Schools changed to the "Daniel Webster" or the "Miriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary" to name a few...We now have many dictionaries & some of them contradict one another to add to the confusion...;)

As far as Disembark is concerned we always use disembark as the Verb..Such as: "when we disembark, we'll meet you at..."

And disembarkation as the Noun..Such as: "During the disembarkation talk, the CD will...." Is this OK according to the Oxford dictionary?.

During the last few weeks, saw a Poster on this board argue that disembark is only to be used when one has completed the cruise & is going through final disembarkation...But, honestly don't believe that's true....

As long time boaters, having taken & passed the Coast Guard Boating class, we were taught that one always disembarks when leaving a ship/boat to go ashore, even if we are planning to return to the ship/boat....:) Perhaps Crew or Navy Personnel, will weigh in here...:confused:

Anyway, believe my favorite Aunt (an English teacher) & my Mom

are looking down & would be pleased to see that at least I'm still trying to use the "Queens English", even if I don't always succeed in doing so..;) :)Betty

I'll weigh in too. Like Aussie girl, being an Aussie also, I was astounded when I found that many people from USA pronounced Oceania without the 'i'; but then most also referred to their previous cruises on the 'reg art ta' rather than the 'reg att a': I had NEVER heard regatta pronounced that way before.

Ahoy, Fellow Sticklers (and you know who you are :D ) and Partners of Sticklers,

Thanks for all your funny and good-natured posts over the past years. I think that I can also speak for the many timid lurkers who find a comfort in the gentility and politeness of folks on the Oceania boards. There are way too many of you to mention personally, or to often directly respond to, without someone else possibly feeling left out (or not responded to), but know that the warmth and good humor you send out is felt, not just by the posters, but also by the mass of readers who never post.

Being a long-standing member of the Stickler Club, I looked up "dinning" in the stickler textbook, the dictionary. To my surprise, I realized that I actually can no longer be annoyed when someone refers to a "dinning room". This is because one actually exists on board a cruise ship (a rather "Grand" cruise ship!). I know, because I ate there every night of an otherwise lovely seven day cruise.

Even at a table for two, it was difficult to hear above the noise, created by what seemed to me to be a very low ceiling. It didn't seem to matter where in the room we sat. Several evenings we had dinner with a lovely couple we had met and it was almost excruciating: he was hard of hearing and basically gave up on any attempt at dialogue after a few sentences each night. It was difficult for her to speak in English, and we don't speak Portuguese. Add the constant din and clatter to that mix and it's a wonder we were able to discuss anything at all.

Perhaps we had an unusually gregarious group on board: they certainly were a friendly bunch. But I think it was the low ceiling and lack of noise-absorbing materials.

Regards and Safe Traveling,

Susan

I think that part of the problem about the way Oceania is pronounced is the fact that the original idea was to name the cruise line Oceana (without the i), but there is another cruise line with that name. They added the i to the name and many of the Oceania personnel pronounce the name the way it was meant to be: oh she anna. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Happy cruising!!!

Joan

Ahoy, Fellow Sticklers (and you know who you are :D ) and Partners of Sticklers,

Thanks for all your funny and good-natured posts over the past years. I think that I can also speak for the many timid lurkers who find a comfort in the gentility and politeness of folks on the Oceania boards. There are way too many of you to mention personally, or to often directly respond to, without someone else possibly feeling left out (or not responded to), but know that the warmth and good humor you send out is felt, not just by the posters, but also by the mass of readers who never post.

Being a long-standing member of the Stickler Club, I looked up "dinning" in the stickler textbook, the dictionary. To my surprise, I realized that I actually can no longer be annoyed when someone refers to a "dinning room". This is because one actually exists on board a cruise ship (a rather "Grand" cruise ship!). I know, because I ate there every night of an otherwise lovely seven day cruise.

Even at a table for two, it was difficult to hear above the noise, created by what seemed to me to be a very low ceiling. It didn't seem to matter where in the room we sat. Several evenings we had dinner with a lovely couple we had met and it was almost excruciating: he was hard of hearing and basically gave up on any attempt at dialogue after a few sentences each night. It was difficult for her to speak in English, and we don't speak Portuguese. Add the constant din and clatter to that mix and it's a wonder we were able to discuss anything at all.

Perhaps we had an unusually gregarious group on board: they certainly were a friendly bunch. But I think it was the low ceiling and lack of noise-absorbing materials.Regards and Safe Traveling,

Susan

Thanks Susan for your nice compliments....Will have to remember that there was a "Dinning Room" & can't be annoyed with it any more..LOL:D We also wish you & yours safe travels..

I think that part of the problem about the way Oceania is pronounced is the fact that the original idea was to name the cruise line Oceana (without the i), but there is another cruise line with that name. They added the i to the name and many of the Oceania personnel pronounce the name the way it was meant to be: oh she anna. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Happy cruising!!!Joan

Joan etal..That's neat & Thanks for the history lesson...However don't you really mean "that's my story and I'm Stickling to it"

Oops... Yes realize I should not be saying that..LOL

I just got my Oceania DVD today and they pronounce it "oh-she-anna." So, I guess that's the way. Just seems like a weird name with the "i" in it not being pronounced. Oh, well. Sure hope I can sail with them someday. :o

Ok, if the powers to be say "Oh she anna" as in "Oh sooz anna" then guess we'll have to pronounce it that way or as you mentioned earlier "fantastic"..:)

We can't wait for our cruise on the "Regatta" (originally from New York but do say "re got ta") which is 13 weeks & 6 days away.. But who's counting!;)

Cheers everyone & Happy Stickling & Sailing...:) Betty

Archived