Rough seas west transit to LA?

LoriPhil

DH and I are booked on a partial RT-FLL transit on the Coral in Feb 09, but are considering the full transit, East to West Coast (although time might be an issue for us here)

Question: The last 3 days of the Coral's full FLL-LAX transit (from Hautulco, Mexico to LA) are at sea and after hearing how rocky it can get cruising from LA to Hawaii and from San Francisco to Vancouver, we were wondering if we should expect rougher seas for the pacific portion of the full-transit. I know much can depend on the weather, but is there a general trend in this area?

Thanks for your opinions!

• 2 weeks later...

We are interested in the same thing - we are doing eastbound from LA to Fort Lauderdale.

I posted this on another thread and pretty much the only response I received was "yes" it can be rocky.

Hope someone who had done this sailing can tell us for sure.

We left MIA Jan 12th and had rough seas from Grand Cayman to Columbia.....nothing from Acapulco to LA

We did the return trip LA to MIA leaving Jan 28th ...no rough seas at all

You just never know just go prepared

We're doing round trip LA to LA 19 days--we'll be going both east and west--will let you know--this is the Island Princess 9/20/07--coming up real soon

We did a full transit LA to FLL a couple of years ago on the Coral Princess--I only remember transist day being VERY HOT & HUMID--can't remember having a rough ride--so--probably wasn't enough to worry about--I do use the patches--since I get seasick easily

Nancy:D

Under normal circumstances, it can be a rocky ride from Cabo to Los Angeles (northbound) because of the direction of the ocean currents. Ocean currents travel southbound along the coast of California. Thus, a cruise ship traveling northbound is going against the currents and it can make for a rockier trip.

Because we live in SoCal, we've done the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise more times than I can count. We've sailed different times of the year, too. We've found it's just the luck of the draw from Cabo to L.A.. Sometimes it's smooth as glass, sometimes there's average motion, other times it's been a little to a lot rough.

Hi, I am on the same cruise as SEAL and I am hoping to report daily on the puter on CC.......so stay tuned. We have a stateroom very near the internet cafe and we are ELITE so I can use my time for the 19 day partial Panama Transit. sailinsal

Archived