Buying food near central Park???

amber2007

We are planning on going to Central Park and having lunch in there. I guess we wanted something from a deli, I don't know really. But should be pick up our lunch before going into the park, or should be get something in the park. What places do you think we should try.

If you want food from a deli, then buy it before you go into the park. There are tons of carts in the park that sell hot dogs, pretzels, etc... but if you want sandwiches then get them first. There are a gazillion delis in Manhattan, it would be hard to recommend one. Trust me, you won't have a problem finding a place to buy a sandwich.

Almost any deli makes a decent sandwich or they won't last long as there are deli's on almost every block somewhere in Manhattan. If you want to dine in the park, there is always Tavern on the Green or the Boat House restaurants.

Madison avenue, sixth and seventh avenue and Columbus Avenue generally have decent deli's. All these are one block away from the park as Central Park South, Central Park West and fifth avenue generally are devoid of deli's.

PS the smaller they are the less they generally charge. The large ones tend to be mills and more expensive. Of course there are exceptions....

We are planning on going to Central Park and having lunch in there. I guess we wanted something from a deli, I don't know really. But should be pick up our lunch before going into the park, or should be get something in the park. What places do you think we should try.

I think the most fun is buying a hotdog and a snapple and sitting on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and people watching. It spans several blocks but is in the park on about 82nd Street and Fifth Avenue. The vendors are right out in front of the museum.

Everyone has to try a dirty water dog, at least once. :D

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/article/19829/love-that-dirty-water

LOL NY department of health really does inspect the street vendors. The ONLY city that showed no contamination in its food in a recent tv expose was NY. I would tell you what they tested for but its dinner time.

LOL NY department of health really does inspect the street vendors. The ONLY city that showed no contamination in its food in a recent tv expose was NY. I would tell you what they tested for but its dinner time.

I had a friend visit from California, she HAD to try a dirty water dog. She said it was really good. Unfortunately for me hotdogs hate me even though I love them. ;)

For Deli food, nothing beats the Carnegie at 7th/55th.

For an authentic NYC picnic in the park, hit Zabar's at 80th/Broadway for bagels, cream cheese, lox and whitefish.

As other people have noted, you have a lot of options. If you arrive at the park with no food, I like the Boat House for lunch. I'd skip Tavern of the Green - it's formal and touristy and overpriced.

If you enter the park from 7th Ave, you can pick up a real kosher style sandwich from either the Carnegie or Stage Deli. One sandiwich is enough for two people.

Or, at Columbus Circle is the huge Time Warner Mall - you can't miss it. In the basement is a Whole Foods Store where you can pick up a ton of different kinds of prepared foods - hot, cold, salads, sushi, pizza, sandwiches, fruit, dessert, etc.

Archived