Weather in Pacific in Sept/Oct

Mikey2611

I know that Hurricane season (June/Nov) in the Caribbean can play havoc with Cruises. Changes in Ports - delays and some very bumpby seas albiet ships generally try to get well away - the outer bands can still be pretty miserable.

I am taking a cruise from Vancouver to New Zealand in late September - does anyone have any experience with the Pacific at that time of year - more or less likely for storms than the Caribbean/South Atlantic?

Thanks

I sailed on the 2002 64 day Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise on the Volendam. We departed Vancouver and headed out for six days at sea to Russia and encountered the worst seas I have ever seen. A typhoon was coming off of the coast of Japan, which made for the rough seas. Our Chief Engineer was badly injured and had to be medically disembarked in Hong Kong. However, after that, it wasn't too bad. A little rough here and there, but nothing major.

We sailed San Francisco to Sydney Sep 2000, on last voyage of Sky Princess as a Princess ship, and had very smooth water all the way.

Nov 03 we sailed Papeete to Sydney, on Pacific Princess (new), and also had smooth water.

The Pacific isn't always smooth - 12-86, on Golden Odyssey, between Hong Kong and Manila, we hit back end of a typhoon, and that little 10,000 tonner had green water over the bridge, inclinometer pegged, and screws out of the water. Very rough for about 24 hrs.

Travel can be an adventure.

Vancouver to New Zealand is a very long trip across a very big ocean. You can count on all kinds of weather, some smooth sailing, some not so smooth. This is hurricane season in the Atlantic and the Caribbean, and it is typhoon season in the Pacific and with luck you will not encounter one. Sorry, but such a broad question as weather in the Pacific can get only a broad answer. The best assurance is that cruise ships, no matter where they are, do whatever they can to avoid severe weather.

We sailed this passage last year. We had sun and fair seas all the way from Vancouver to almost NZ. We encountered a big swell one day out of Bay of Islands which made the ship late arriving. The Statendam does not seem to handle big swells all that well IMHO. NOt that it worried me I love a bit of rough sea. One cannot predict what will happen in the Pacific at any time, it can blow up of course. I have sailed NZ to Panama Canal previously although many years ago, it was calm and fine all the way. I think we just might have had all the bad weather down here as its sure had its moments this winter.

Just don't worry about it, its a great voyage and I am sure you will love every minute of it. Shes a nice little ship thats for sure.

I sailed on the 2002 64 day Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise on the Volendam. We departed Vancouver and headed out for six days at sea to Russia and encountered the worst seas I have ever seen. A typhoon was coming off of the coast of Japan, which made for the rough seas.

I remember hearing the stories of that trip. What a wild and wooly ride! :eek: I like rough seas as much as the next cruiser, but that might have been too much even for my taste.

I remember hearing the stories of that trip. What a wild and wooly ride! :eek: I like rough seas as much as the next cruiser, but that might have been too much even for my taste.

Then thank your lucky stars you were not on P & O Pacific Star last month when it left Auckland in cyclonic conditions. The damage on board to passengers and ship was almost catastrophic, the bow of the ship pushed in like I have never seen before in 13 metre plus seas. A real washing machine effect, the ship has not really sailed since, they keep cancelling voyages because of the damage done to the ship. Yep we get some wild weather down here in the bottom of the world there is nothing between us and anywhere else. However for the OP in October it should be OK till you get closer to NZ then you might pick up some rough stuff, really does depend on direction the weather is coming from at the time.

Archived