Canadian Exchange Rate

kiberkid

I just looked up our cruise to see if the rate had changed & low & behold hit had.. well in a manner of speaking. Princess has changed their Canadian exchange rate. We booked our cruise last month and with the new exchange rate our fare (Princess Air included) has gone down by $415.00. The cruise alone went down almost $300.00.

So.... Fellow Canadians... you might want to look into things and contact Princess. The very nice lady I was talking to (sorry didn't write down her name) was not able to fix things up, but she did get in touch with another Princess department & they were able to.

Princess customer service sure came through for me today...well there is a little glich.. they did not adjust my parents rate as they missed the fact that the 2 were cross referenced. They realized it after the other depatment had gone home for the day.....no big deal.. I will call back tomorrow and get their fixed up.

All is good:D

Probably because we booked so early, but our cruise rate has gone up. I guess the new exchange rate wouldn't affect us at all :(

That's too bad..but it was worth the check.

Have a wonderul cruise!!

It is worth to tell your TA to ask Princess, no matter when you booked.

It is an exchange rate adjustment, not a price rediuction. So you should get a reduction on the amount that you paid based on the new rate which is lower than few months ago.

Ricky

It is worth to tell your TA to ask Princess, no matter when you booked.

It is an exchange rate adjustment, not a price rediuction. So you should get a reduction on the amount that you paid based on the new rate which is lower than few months ago.

Ricky

Really good point Ricky. Really good point. Even if it only ends up being $100..that is $100 extra in your pocket...

Thanks.

I agree, I never thought of it as a rate adjustment not a drop. We've got a cruise in April 08 but the prices have actually gone up as well. What sailing dates have you gotten rate drops for? Anyone in or before next April?

Thanks,

Joan

We booked this past April for a Jan. 08 cruise - Have seen the price go up a few months ago, but its gone down now too. - We were able to get back over $200 each for our cruise. Do not know if it was a special from the t.a. agency, because she claims that they are a big Princess supplier. There was no change on the Princess site from the last time I looked. Actually we paid the same rate for an outside cabin as the interior. Keep on checking those prices.

Add on : Just checked again on line with my agency and the oceanview has now been increased to a larger price than when I originally booked- so I guess that the sale is over - and am glad that we benefited from this experience.

I just got myself a USD bank account and credit card and will put all my charges on it then pay out of the bank account. That will save me the 2.5% conversion rate the bank charges.

just called princess customer care exchange rate still at 1.15 no change in rate expected.

I just got myself a USD bank account and credit card and will put all my charges on it then pay out of the bank account. That will save me the 2.5% conversion rate the bank charges.
That's what I have had for several years now. It's the only way. Just replenish the US account when exchange rates peak.

Have we agreed that the actual exchange rate that Princess charges has NOT gone down and that Kiberkid's cruise price went down instead?

You don't need a U.S. TA to book in U.S. funds, Canadian one's will do fine. The only thing to remember is you need a U.S. gateway.

I would be very interested if the exchange rate went down, as our Sydney to L.A. in April/08 on the Sapphire was in Canadian funds out of Toronto. But used U.S. FCC and booked in U.S. funds for our Bangkok to Whitttier and will fly out of JFK via Buffalo in 2009.

Snowbird

Princess has their exchange rates set a year in advance and the 15% exchange rate for 2007 is probably set in stone. In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't already have the rates in place for 2008 and the following year.

Have we agreed that the actual exchange rate that Princess charges has NOT gone down and that Kiberkid's cruise price went down instead?

You don't need a U.S. TA to book in U.S. funds, Canadian one's will do fine. The only thing to remember is you need a U.S. gateway.

I would be very interested if the exchange rate went down, as our Sydney to L.A. in April/08 on the Sapphire was in Canadian funds out of Toronto. But used U.S. FCC and booked in U.S. funds for our Bangkok to Whitttier and will fly out of JFK via Buffalo in 2009.

Snowbird

Our TA contacted Princess and was told that the rate adjustment was for the 2008/2009 season, and wouldn't impact our current cruise. Our only option was to cancel the cruise and rebook in US funds, but because the cruise was sold out we were told we are unable to do that.

I'm sure your TA can pull some strings and book your cruise in USD. Since you're not travelling until December, you would not have made final payment as yet. If you don't get any satisfaction from your TA, cancel and rebook with another. Maybe you can go into Princess's website and pretend to book a cabin in the same category. That way you'll know for sure if the cruise is booked.

Our TA contacted Princess and was told that the rate adjustment was for the 2008/2009 season, and wouldn't impact our current cruise. Our only option was to cancel the cruise and rebook in US funds, but because the cruise was sold out we were told we are unable to do that.

Snowbird

Just back from a 12 night British Isles cruise and my TA booked me in U.S. Funds (although I did the air on my own as it was much cheaper). She says she input Ottawa as my home gateway. Have done this with RCCL and Celebrity (including air) and have not had any problems booking in U.S. currency. Always pays to keep checking the price in both currencies. While I hope it never happens again, back when the dollar was at it's lowest, Celebrity had a very favourable exhange rate (about 10 % better than the actual rate) and it helped make it affordable to cruise.

I think that Princess is really taking advantage of us canadians. I know that Celebrity adjusts their rates constantly as I am going on a Hawaiian cruise in November.

As we have to travel from Toronto we can't purchase in US dollars. Maybe they will change their policy now that the cdn dollar is now over.95.

I can keep hoping.

:(

Archived