VAT Tax Refund

It sorta makes you wonder if they intentionally make it difficult to discourage us from getting our VAT refund. Leaving Venice last year, I learned that the (very nondescript) VAT booth was just inside the departures lobby of the airport. This was after clearing security; so I had to go back out. The line was long & slow moving. So, I suggest that you arrive at your departing airport extra early. As the previous poster said, it's only worth the hassle if it's a substantial refund.

What did Freddy Mercury sing when he sang Play the Game???

It's so easy when you know the rules...

Purchases in EU-countries for bringing abroad:

1. Buy in one store

2. Collect your bills

3. Go to the customer service

4. Show your passport and ask for Tax Free Check

At the last EU-port or airport (depends how and where you leaving finally the EU) Guess you are complete your cruise and make a land tour and your last airport before you are flying home is London-Heathrow you are doing it in London-Heathrow for all EU-purchases you want to take back home!

5. Show your purchases, Passport and Tax Free Checks to the customs agent BEFORE SECURITY and BEFORE CHECK-IN. Ask for the export declaration counter!

6. Ask for the counter at the airport where you can get money back or mail it to the organisation.

If you are buying at a Non-EU-place please ask the local retailer how it works.

It's ROUGHLY ABOUT 10% of the price. All prices for consumers incl. VAT but the VAT-rate is different in each EU-country. So it vary how much you get back.

Have fun with your shoppings.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We were in the Baltics, mid June, ending in Stockholm... When we got to the airport, we checked in at the counter and then I went to the desk where they issue the VAT refund - you must have your purchases sealed - the stores will put it in a shopping bag, or regular bag, and then "seal" the opening....and they issue you a receipt and form....I filled a few lines out (I purchased Swedish glass at 2 different sites) - and then I believe she asked if I wanted the refund credited to my charge card or in cash....she then issued me a recipt which I took once I got through security and received my cash refund (on about $268.00 purchase it came to about $32.00) - also had time in the airport to recash in all my foreign currency INCLUDING coins!!!.......

Really it was pretty hassle free- but then again there wasn't a huge line-up at the counter.....We were there about 9 a.m. or so on a Saturday morning....

CJcruzer

Just out of curiosity. We are flying into Copenhagen next year then taking a cruise back to New York City with stops in Norway, Faroe Islands, and Iceland among some Canadian. How would we handle the VAT refund in that case?

See here:

http://www.globalrefund.com/default.asp?viewFolderId=-8911&viewDocumentId=8911

Copenhagen is the EU-exit port - so for all purchases out of the EU there.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I have some VAT forms every year, so my husband thinks I'm an expert on the subject. :) The good news is that there are some options in the Baltics that you don't have in the Med, but they won't work for everyone. There were at least two VAT refund offices at the ports in the Baltics. One of the offices was in Copenhagen. As an aside, there is a fairly nice shopping strip in Copenhagen too (shoes, Amber jewelry, etc.). I stood in line with a friend for half an hour, and we were talking, so it went fast. I agree with the advice of others that if the refund isn't substantial, it's not worth it (mine was). I think the other port that had a VAT office was in Oslo and hope someone can confirm, but I remember that we stood in line in two ports for our refunds. I really did this to help my friend because the VAT process is confusing, and then I went through the process for the final time when we were leaving Brussels (postcruise stay) at the end of that trip. Some airports are easy peasy with no wait and no hassle like Seville. It's a big pain to obtain the refund in some airports in Europe, but it has never taken me more than a half hour.

There are several steps in the refund process, and all of them must be done correctly. The store has to fill out the form (sometimes this also takes time because in large department stores, you have to go to the office and might have to stand in line there too), you have to add passport and other info, and you have to have your goods available for inspection by the officer. That last step is the part where many tourists are frustrated. I've flown in/out of all the major airports in Europe and a lot of minor ones. Some of the VAT refund offices are located before you get to baggage claim, and some are located after you check your bags. If you don't have the merchandise available for inspection, technically the officer does not have to stamp your paperwork. And as a tip, we always smile very sweetly even when we have already checked our merchandise and have never been refused (it does pay to be nice to these officers because they are just human too). We've seen other tourists arguing with the officers, and the officers refused to stamp the paperwork. ;) After your paperwork is stamped, you have the option of mailing your paperwork in the airport or after you arrive back in the U.S. for a refund to your credit card. You can also receive the refund in local currency cash at the office (at some airports, you have to then stand in a separate line), but then you have to either pay to convert back to U.S. dollars or save for your next trip.

I think that with the current weak exchange rates, passengers aren't doing as much shopping as in the past. I know I didn't in Venice this year, which is where I have bought a lot of glass over the years and was SO glad that I got mine at much better prices (some when the Euro was over 40% weaker than it is now). I think that if I were cruising the Baltics this year, I would ask about the VAT refund offices in ports at the shops on the ship to determine the last port that you will be able to obtain a refund to avoid the packing hassles and the extra issues at the airport (the airport is enough of a headache these days anyway with liquid restrictions, long lines for security, etc.). But I wouldn't cut sightseeing short to get back to save a few dollars.

Happy shopping,

Donna

I was able to obtain a VAT refund at the tourist information building at the cruise terminal in Oslo. Also we could turn in all of the Euro VAT refund slips at the Amsterdam Airport when we left. We did need to show an item which was purchased (ie: amber jewelry). We did not need to show all of the purchases, just one item. Both places were pretty hassel free (except maybe half hour wait in the Airport). We did this after we checked in our luggage and obtain our boarding passes. The Vat booth is right after you go through the first "check-point" (boarding pass check).

Archived