Favorite Places on the Rotterdam?

nancycoop1

My favourite spot inside was the library. Of course, it's not an unknown area, but it was so cozy and comfortable. Sometimes I was the only person in there. Evenings were best...after dinner (if you don't go to the show/movie, etc.) if you sit in there with a good book you can hear the string quartet playing in the Explorer's Lounge across the way. Really relaxing.

Outside, my favourite spot for viewing the glaciers off the coast of Chile and all the sights in Antarctica was the area at the bow of the ship. If the seas were calm, then the doors to this area were opened and it was perfect for taking in the sights, taking pictures, etc. Just remember to wear rubber soled shoes as the bow area can get quite slippery when it is wet outside. I found the bow area to be less windy and cold than standing along the railing of the Lower Promenade deck. For some reason the wind funnelled down the deck and was quite uncomfortable.

Another great area was the aft pool on the deck below the Lido. It was too cold to swim, but it was very quiet back there and you could easily find a nice place to sit that was sheltered from the wind.

And the Crow's Nest is a good place to hang out during the daytime if you don't want to be out on deck taking in the scenery. Chairs are set up in front of the windows and the commentary it piped into this area, so you won't miss anything.

There's a comfy little spot outdoors, aft on the Lido Deck. I call it "the office", but there's not a lot of room there. It's sheltered from the wind/rain, but lets me get all the fresh, cool air I want. :)

Apparently you're on the South America cruise following mine; so you can sit there if you like. :D

Archived