Belize Beach Question...

reddgrits

Even though I posted this on another board, I wasn't gettin' any feedback... maybe I'll get some responses this time. My family and I are goin' to Belize on the Carnival Glory in November. We aren't interested in cave tubin', zip lining, ruins, etc. All we wanna do, is go to a beach. I've read about Cucumber Beach and it sounds nice. Is it free, or do you have to pay to access it? Any info would be great. Thanks Ya'll!!!!!:D

If a BEACH is all you want (with some reef snorkeling from shore or boat if you like) then consider GOFF'S CAYE. It is a Carnival excursion - they take you directly from the ship to the island and back. That way you don't also have the long tender to shore...

141424081-L.jpg

Tom

Fly over to San Pedro (Ambergis Caye)....best beaches, true Belize. That is what I am doing next Wednesday on the Glory. I did it last year too, and I wouldn't do Belize any other way.

This is the best way to see the beaches..... be careful though, after experiencing Ambergris Cay you may want to live there.... it hooked me as I just purchased a condo on the beach !!!

OK - How do you get to "Ambergis Caye"? Going in 2 weeks and if it is not blown away, family would like to do something other than the cavetubing and ziplining thing. Thanks for info!

Simple taxi ride to BZE International Airport and then a "puddle jump" flight to Ambergris Cay....15-20 minute flight at best, on a 12 seater plane.

Here is a panoramic picture of Bannister Island. It was Carnivals " Private Island Beach Break" Very nice place to go.

panoramabelize1.jpg?t=1187579760

can you tell me anymore about this excursion thru carnival? Price of excursion? Places to eat or drink on the island and estimate of prices? Also was there anywhere on this island to pick up a couple of souveniers for Belize?

Thanks!!!

As a private pilot I fly in a smaller plane than used in Belize to commute passengers to the Cayes and always have felt safe when I fly using these companies. So many people have the mind set that small planes are unsafe and that is far from the truth.

While that may be true... there are several that DROP OUT OF THE SKY each year over Florida somewhere - You read about one every couple/few months or so (or at least A LOT more ofter than passenger jets)...

I have not really looked into the numbers, so it is mostly that perception I suppose!

Tom

My concern with flying to San Pedro during a Belize port call would be missing the ship. I'm not a pilot so please enlighten me; wouldn't small aircraft risk delay from a barrier island with much greater frequency due to wind, flying sand etc.? I would think the trip could become very expensive if the ship was gone before I could get back.

The water taxi terminal is just a short walk from the tender pier. It is on the river before the first bridge. Regular scheduled service runs to San Pedro. IIRC it takes about 45 minutes. Could flying really be much faster point to point?

It is true that small aircraft do have mechanical problems from time to time, but the % is much lower than you think. A well trained pilot is trained for emergency procedures and must pass many tests in emergency landing procedures where you actually are in the air and deal with engine failure, loss of controls, stall outs, etc.....all of this is part of your flight test and review annualy, not to mention the aircraft having to go thru an airworthiness inspection every 100 hours or yearly if less hours.

My concern with flying to San Pedro during a Belize port call would be missing the ship. I'm not a pilot so please enlighten me; wouldn't small aircraft risk delay from a barrier island with much greater frequency due to wind, flying sand etc.? I would think the trip could become very expensive if the ship was gone before I could get back.

The water taxi terminal is just a short walk from the tender pier. It is on the river before the first bridge. Regular scheduled service runs to San Pedro. IIRC it takes about 45 minutes. Could flying really be much faster point to point?

Alot depends on how long your ship is in port.......Wind is always an issue, but unless the winds are in excess of 30 kts or more, flights in aircraft that sze are not an issue as the runways are designed to allow the plane to take off and land into the winds. My aircraft is a 4 seater and I will not fly in wind conditions over 30kts. due to it's size and these are larger aircraft. Flying is not necessarily faster when you factor in the drive to the airport, but many do not like to use the water taxis.....it is a matter of personal choice. The flight is only about 15 minutes from point to point.

Alot depends on how long your ship is in port.......Wind is always an issue, but unless the winds are in excess of 30 kts or more, flights in aircraft that sze are not an issue as the runways are designed to allow the plane to take off and land into the winds. My aircraft is a 4 seater and I will not fly in wind conditions over 30kts. due to it's size and these are larger aircraft. Flying is not necessarily faster when you factor in the drive to the airport, but many do not like to use the water taxis.....it is a matter of personal choice. The flight is only about 15 minutes from point to point.

I suppose it is possible to use the water taxi as a back-up if a flight is delayed. I've never had an itinerary that stopped in Belize for more than 8 hours. The 8 hours usually translated into closer to six hours from the time my foot hit the tourist village till I boarded one of the last tenders to the ship.

Years ago I spent several months island hopping in eastern Indonesia. The airline was Merpati and the standard plane was a 24 seat Fokker. While much bigger than the Belize puddle jumper you fly to San Pedro, it is still a small plane. In a dozen flights nearly half were delayed some for lengthy periods due to wind, weather or mechanical problems. I was never bothered by this, my philosophy was/is the pilot doesn't want to crash any more than I do. My only concern with San Pedro is a delay causing me to miss the ship.

Thank you for your interesting response. :)

I suppose it is possible to use the water taxi as a back-up if a flight is delayed. I've never had an itinerary that stopped in Belize for more than 8 hours. The 8 hours usually translated into closer to six hours from the time my foot hit the tourist village till I boarded one of the last tenders to the ship.

Years ago I spent several months island hopping in eastern Indonesia. The airline was Merpati and the standard plane was a 24 seat Fokker. While much bigger than the Belize puddle jumper you fly to San Pedro, it is still a small plane. In a dozen flights nearly half were delayed some for lengthy periods due to wind, weather or mechanical problems. I was never bothered by this, my philosophy was/is the pilot doesn't want to crash any more than I do. My only concern with San Pedro is a delay causing me to miss the ship.

Thank you for your interesting response. :)

I think using the island air is less of a risk if staying on the island as we do.....Belize is so beautiful and the cruise tourisits do not really get a chance to see what the country or its out islands are all about. We recently purchased a condo on Ambergris Cay.....after "Dean" I was concerned and talked to some friends on Ambergris that said minimal damage occured.... a few roofs damaged and some foliage, but all lives were sparred from the path of "Dean".

As you said, if weather is a concern departing the Cayes, you can always use a water taxi if necessary to get you back on time.

Flying sounds interesting, but I am not sure I can get my mom in a small plane. Were do you catch the water taxies? and how long does it take to get to the caye? Also is there any "must see" places there or can we just chill on the beach?

Archived