Tahitian Princess Review

borabora lover

I first wanted to thank all of the cruise critic visitors that help me with information I would have never found out otherwise. Many passengers would come to me for information after they found out how much research I did on this site.

I just wanted to pass on some information that I could not find (or did not search for well) previously regarding the Tahitian Princess. I do not have much time, but wanted to pass on the following information.

1. Do not buy the overpriced Princess transfer package. You can pay for a taxi to and from the ship for half of the price.

2. Eat in the dining room as much as possible. The buffet and outside dining areas leave much to be desired. The coffee is enjoyable in the dining room, but horrid everywhere else.

3. Prebook your trips. There were many vendors on the dock at Bora Bora, but not at other ports. We always had the best stories at dinner because we did the research ahead of time and booked with the locals.

4. You have heard it before.... book Marc's trip in Huahine. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

5. I have read mixed reviews about Bruno. He has still not send our photos of the trip via email, but he did show up on time and it was a fun filled trip. I still recommend his excursion.

6. Get on the other side of the island on Bora Bora then where the Tahitian Princess docks. It is quite the disappointment to pull up to Bora Bora and not see the colors of the ocean that you have always heard of. Get off the boat, book a locally run excursion and see what I call "heaven on earth".

7. Tahiti is a waste of time on this cruise. We took a car around the island to not find much to look at. Save your money for the other islands.

8. Tips of packing ....I have read from other posts that I will say that you should bring: duct tape (yes, our luggage fell apart during transit, but I thought bringing duct tape was a waste-mistake); a clothesline; a over-the-door shoe holder for all tolietries (the BEST suggestion I read off this board); extra under water cameras. Do not worry about buying the expensive Seabands. We bought the cheap ones and took ginger and did not experience seasickness. Bring 45 sunscreen. Bring some dishwashing liquid to mix with water to prevent fogging in your mask. We tried everything and missed some great snorkeling moments until we tried this method. DO put your address label on your cameras. I misplaced mine, but this saved a lot of heartache of lost pictures. You do not need to bring beach towels-Princess will provide you daily with these. Our towels just took up a lot of space.

9. To the Drinkers- go on Princess website and send yourself a gift. We sent ourselves some rum which was waiting for us when we walked in the door. We also purchased a cooler that had luggage wheels at Sports Chalet and packed it with beer and wine and checked it as luggage with no problems. Just purchase ONE soda drink card, they do not check if you go back for someone else as long as you have the sticker.

10. The evening shows were a disappointment. Fill you days with activities on the islands and you will be too tired to stay up for these lack luster shows.

11. The room stewards are great. Our steward, Manny, made our trip extremely enjoyable and relaxing. He would do anything for us. People ask if you should tip gifts. Tip money. Most of the staff send money home to their families.

12. Wash your hands all the time. We had two times that staff had to serve us food (instead of us serving ourselves) in the buffet and there was a hugh food poisioning incident on some Princess sponsered excursions. We did notice that on the next trip leaving they had non =water disinfecting dispensers and all people were required to wash their hands before boarding or going into the dining rooms.

13. Don't sweat it on the evening dining dress. I bought many unnecessary dress clothes and found that many people dressed very casual. I did not have a problem with this, although others may.

Feel free if you have any additional questions that I can answer for you!!!

Marc has two excursions available in HUAHINE for the Tahitian Princess. They appear somewhat similar-one is via outrigger canoe and the other via 4-wheel vehicle. Which one is everyone talking about? One is $80 and the other $100? Thanks! Bonnie from Atlanta going 1/2/2005

Take the outrigger canoe excursion. It includes circumnavigation of one of Huahine's islands, snorkelling and an "In Water" picnic with chicken, fish, salad, bread and, must be tried, Poisson Cru.

Hands down the best excursion of the whole cruise.

Thanks for all the great tips!

When you say go to the other side of where the ship docks what area are you refering to? I heard that the beach around Matira are great and did you do a land excursion that t6ook you around the island or was it by water/

DO go to Matira Beach, we had a very relaxing afternoon floating in the water. Just hop on LeTruc right at the tender dock and they will drop you off at the beach. No hassles with any of the hotel beaches. There is a small "convenience" store close by for snacks, water and ice cream.

Another option for Raiatea and BoraBora is Stephan. He can be found inside the building at the dock, toward the left hand side. You can't miss him, he is the native in a loincloth, blowing a conch shell to board the boat. We did an all day excursion with him on Raiatea for $50. and a half day on Bora Bora for $40. He was lots of fun, playing his ukelele and steering the boat with his stomach while singing Tahitian songs. He took us to his private motu for a fresh fruit snack and juice both days.

Deb

April '05 Celebrity Summit

Sept. '04 Dawn Princess

June '04 Tahitian Princess

Can you give me an idea about how effective the hair dryers are? I've always thought the ones on newer ships to be okay but I realize this is an older Ren ship. I like ordering room service coffee (or bringing my own because I'm very fussy). Did you try the room service coffee? Thanks.

J

I am glad you enjoyed your excursions but disagree with you about finding them on the docks.

We took the Tahitian Princess in June and did not book one through the ship. We found people at each dock that gave great tours for half the price of the ship. One lady even had the ship brouchure to show us she would give us the same tour for half the price.

In Huhahine we had the Mayor as our tour guide !

Sorry Shippy - call me dense but I don't understand your post. :confused:

I don't see anything in the posts in this thread that suggest anything other than booking either prior to leaving (non-Prin) or booking on the dock on arrival at each port. Bora Bora Lover and all after only refer to booking trips with the locals. What is it you disagree with??

I previously cruised this area when it was operation by Ren. It was a great cruise. I am considering a repeat cruise with Princess. The rates for this cruise are very low, but I noticed that the independent air fare is very expensive. Does Princess offer special rates for add on air? What has been everyone's experience in this area. When I previously sailed on this cruise, Ren. had a charter with Haw. Airlines that was very nice.

I previously cruised this area when it was operation by Ren. It was a great cruise. I am considering a repeat cruise with Princess. The rates for this cruise are very low, but I noticed that the independent air fare is very expensive. Does Princess offer special rates for add on air? What has been everyone's experience in this area. When I previously sailed on this cruise, Ren. had a charter with Haw. Airlines that was very nice.

I think the Princess air price on ATN for March 2006, is $830. We booked with Princess, but will cancel if we decide to use ff miles again, or get a better deal on our own! Sometimes a good deal comes along through the ATN email. This price is from LAX, and you're on your own to and from there. :)

I don't know the rates for 2005. It was $780 for earlier this year.

Archived