Questions for anyone who did the Star Princess sailing from Copenhagen.

I will be sailing that route next summer on the crown, and though I realize different ships may do things differently, I have a few questions.

1. What time did you embark? They say 1:00 but my hotel check out is by noon. If I get to the pier early will it be a problem?

2. What is the dining situation like on the first day? We leave so late and I know we have to have the muster drill so dothey offer traditional dining or is the buffet the basic option. Also, on other ships when you board the dining room is an option for lunch to avoid the masses at the buffet. Was this an option on the Star in Copenhagen?

3. The ports all offer so much to do, especially St. Petersburg. Any suggestions on shore excursions? It states that if I opt for the two day tour that seems to include much of what I want to see in St P that I will also have time to do the evening ballet. How much time is in given between the day activities and the night excursions? Anyone done this option? Also I will be in Copenhagen for a couple of days prior to my cruise, any hotel tips or must sees there?

4. My flight home is scheduled for 3:35. Is there a tour that takes you from the ship upon disembarkation and goes around the city seeing the highlights and then takes you to the airport with your luggage? The Princess site lists a tour but doesn't give any specifics.

5. What currency do I need for taxis in Copenhagen? I plan on using my credit card for most things, hotet, meals etc, there but will need cash for the taxis. How much US should I exchange? I do know there is a train but with the large suitcase I always have I'm leary about lugging it myself, especially from the train station to the hotel.

5. Lastly, I realize we are talking different ships, but did your cruise offer a murder mystery dinner that you know of? I really enjoyed the one we had on my last cruise but it was a different line so I don't know if Princess does them.

I know this is alot but I do appreciate any answers. Thanks to all in advance. I've cruised several lines but never Princess and have much to learn about the Baltic ports we will be visiting as well.

I've answered as many as I can below.

I will be sailing that route next summer on the crown, and though I realize different ships may do things differently, I have a few questions.

1. What time did you embark? They say 1:00 but my hotel check out is by noon. If I get to the pier early will it be a problem?

The longest line is the one for the earliest arrivals. I'd suggest instead that you check out of your room, leave your bags with the porter at your hotel, and enjoy Copenhagen (eat lunch outdoors by a canal, etc....) before heading over to the ship. We did this and arrived at the pier around 4pm -- we had no wait whatsoever.

2. What is the dining situation like on the first day? We leave so late and I know we have to have the muster drill so dothey offer traditional dining or is the buffet the basic option. Also, on other ships when you board the dining room is an option for lunch to avoid the masses at the buffet. Was this an option on the Star in Copenhagen?

Dinner is definitely served in the dining room. Try not to miss the sailaway from Copenhagen, though. It's amazing how they maneuver the ship around in a pretty tight space. Sorry, as noted above we arrived after lunch so have no idea about the dining room.

3. The ports all offer so much to do, especially St. Petersburg. Any suggestions on shore excursions? It states that if I opt for the two day tour that seems to include much of what I want to see in St P that I will also have time to do the evening ballet. How much time is in given between the day activities and the night excursions? Anyone done this option? Also I will be in Copenhagen for a couple of days prior to my cruise, any hotel tips or must sees there?

Most of the ports you can do on your own easily, except St. Petersburg. I highly recommend that you consider a private tour with one of the companies frequently mentioned on these boards. Check your roll call to see if others want to share.

We did a 2-day tour with Den Rus, but we returned to the ship in the evening, then did the ship's evening excursion to Catherine's Palace (I think it was called "Imperial Evening") on night 1. It was probably about 2 hours from the time we returned and the time we left for the evening.

4. My flight home is scheduled for 3:35. Is there a tour that takes you from the ship upon disembarkation and goes around the city seeing the highlights and then takes you to the airport with your luggage? The Princess site lists a tour but doesn't give any specifics.

I have no idea on this one.

5. What currency do I need for taxis in Copenhagen? I plan on using my credit card for most things, hotet, meals etc, there but will need cash for the taxis. How much US should I exchange? I do know there is a train but with the large suitcase I always have I'm leary about lugging it myself, especially from the train station to the hotel.

Most (if not all) official taxis in Copenhagen take credit cards.

5. Lastly, I realize we are talking different ships, but did your cruise offer a murder mystery dinner that you know of? I really enjoyed the one we had on my last cruise but it was a different line so I don't know if Princess does them.

There was nothing like that on Star Princess in 2005.

I know this is alot but I do appreciate any answers. Thanks to all in advance. I've cruised several lines but never Princess and have much to learn about the Baltic ports we will be visiting as well.

Let me reply to the question of evening activities. We were lucky our ship, Regatta, was berthed near town at the English Embankment which was walkable to the folkshow and canal tour we did on two nights. Most larger ships like the Princess are out in the port and the drive from town to the ship increases to something like 45 minutes each way. Consider staying in town before the theater or show to maximize touring time on a two day tour. Your private guide should explain this to you as you plan.

St. Petersburg is wonderful.

Just a note about using a credit card for a taxi in Copenhagen.(it;s no problem).

Just be sure to tell the driver when you get in that you'll be using a credit card. If you wait until the end of the ride it can be an issue.

Enjoy the Baltic and the Star. It's a fabulous cruise on a fabulous Ship!

Agree that the Baltic cruise on the Star is a great trip that you will enjoy.

Answers to a couple specific questions you had:

If you really do want to get there early instead of spending the afternoon enjoying Copenhagen, it shouldn't be a problem. We were actually there at 11:30 am and waited in a seating area for about 30 minutes until our group was called. Then, we walked right up to our section and checked in very easily. We were on board well before the 1:00 posted time.

2. My flight home is scheduled for 3:35. Is there a tour that takes you from the ship upon disembarkation and goes around the city seeing the highlights and then takes you to the airport with your luggage? The Princess site lists a tour but doesn't give any specifics.

I have been on three Princess cruises and the information on whether this post-disembarkation tour will definitely be available and where it goes and when it drops you at the airport always seems to come out around mid-cruise. I think they wait to see how many passengers have late flights that would make such a tour worthwhile. Keep your eye posted for information in the Princess Patter or keep asking at the tour desk, however, as this tour filled up the day it was formally announced on one of our cruises.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Star Princess from 810-8/20, so I should be able to answer your questions.

We were there early because we had an early flight. They actually began embarkation at 11:45. I think it depends on how fast the room stewards can ready the ship.

I do not think the dining room was open for lunch. It was definitely open for dinner. (We did anytime.) I think the muster drill was at about 5:15.

I agree with others that you can do ports on your own exceot for St. Petersburg. We used Alla, and were very happy.

We decided that the first day in St. Petersburg would just be too long if we did a night time activity in the city, so we stayed onboard. They had a great Russian dance troupe for the entertainment that night. We do know of others who either did the ballet or folklore, and were happy with their choices.

Our flight was the next day, but, IIRC, they did have a tour that included dropping off your luggage at the airport. I believe it said it was for passengers with flights after 4.

As others have already stated, taxis in Copenhagen take credit cards.

There was nothing like that.

As a suggestion, Rick Steves Scandanavia will give you much useful information on some of the ports. And, of course, read these boards.

You can read my review of that cruise at this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=31481

A tip on credit card fees. Capital one is the only credit card that does not charge a fee for usage involving foreign currency. We got one just for our trip and saved a lot in fees. Most places will take it.

A tip on credit card fees. Capital one is the only credit card that does not charge a fee for usage involving foreign currency. We got one just for our trip and saved a lot in fees. Most places will take it.

We sailed on the Star in Sept. 07 - fabulous cruise! We arrived around noon - short wait and then right up to our cabin. Embarkation was very organized and pleasant.

We went up to the buffet - lines were not a problem at all.

St. Pete's -would definitely recommend you book a private tour with Red October, DenRus, Alla - no lines, less crowded, you see more, etc.

Copenhagen - we stayed at the airport Hilton pre-cruise - great hotel, highly recommend. Short train ride from the airport into the city and the train station is right across the street from Tivoli. Post cruise we stayed at the Hotel Imperial - centrally located, but I would not stay there again. If you have a chance when in Copenhagen go out to Frederiksborg Castle - beautiful!

Give yourself plenty of time at the airport - at least 3 hrs. before your flight leaves. Lines were insane.

Taxi's take credit cards (or just ask to verify beforehand). Fare from city center to airport was around $55 USD. I got approx. $300 in DKK before leaving home and was glad I had it as many places, restuarants, etc. charged more for credit card purchases than if you paid in DKK. Also, some places (like the 7-11 across from my hotel) would not take credit cards at all.

I don't think (to my knowledge) that Princess has anything like this.

• 3 weeks later...

We did all our tours with Princess last Sept and they were all excellent except for Oslo. Too short. Perhaps we didn't pick a very good one.

We took a Princess tour in the am from the Princess hotel we stayed in in Copenhagen. The tour was great and it took us right to the pier around noon. Our luggage had gone out in the am from the hotel. There were a lot of folks sitting in the terminal waiting, but since I am a platinum member, we walked right up to the desk and then on board right away. We got lunch in the buffet, it has stations so never a long line. You can just go to the stations that have the food you want. Muster drill was at 4:15 and we had early dining in the main dining room, it was a casual night.

This is a fantastic cruise and became my favorite. I don't think you can not enjoy it no matter what tours you pick.

Archived