I need permisson from the following posters.....

Hmmm...924 cabins on the Zuiderdam...signs cost us about $4.00 mounted on foam-core with magnets...you'd only have to charge $6.50 per cabin and would have some left over towards the bar bill!

You'd better post a sign-up sheet and buy supplies!

:D

Dave

Glad to help. I'll leave it posted in my gallery until you confirm that you've saved a copy to your computer.

If it isn't a high enough resolution to print that large, I can recreate it using the full-size original photo, which is 3072x2304 pixels, which will easily yield a photo-quality 8.5x11 print at 270-300ppi. Just let me know!

I don't want to sound ungrateful - however it printed like a postage stamp. I hate computes lol

Please email me it.... kylescoolmom at yahoo

Thank you so much

Linda

........I've heard you all mention adobe photoshop 5.0, print shop and photoshop cs3. ... Can these same programs do photo editing that can then be put into dvd slideshows?

As Justin said, these take a little getting used to. The two programs he mentioned, Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements 5.0 (5.0 is much more intuitive than earlier versions) would be good choices. They are both <$100 and will do 100% of everyday photo tasks and 95% of the odd stuff. Unless you are publishing to a magazine, spending $700 on full Photoshop CS3 is probably overkill.

As for the DVD slide shows, I have become fond of making these instead of albums to share photos. I use ULEAD DVD Movie Factory 6 and CD & DVD Picture Show 4, Creating the slide show chapters in Picture Show and assembling the DVD and menus in Movie Factory. You can adjust panning and zoom on slides, add music, voice-overs, text and create custom menus...very professional-looking. Both are very reasonably-priced too. You might even look at their Photo Express software for your image editing and graphics. It does text, frames, special effects and simple corrections. It's also very beginner friendly and, at $30, wallet friendly too! All of their products can be bought online and downloaded immediately.

Here's a screenshot from one I just did complete with my own background picture :

original.jpg

Good luck!

Dave

And can the 8 X 10 pages with the editing that Justin did or the type that jbond did, can it be put into photobooks?

That's the main reason I do it. You can checkout one of my photo albums at http://travel.webshots.com/album/552362325krliPX My wife likes a book to look at, so I print the pages out at 8 1/2 x 11. I use PrintShop for all my albums. I also put them on a DVD with background music. I use Roxio for creating the DVD.

I don't want to sound ungrateful - however it printed like a postage stamp. I hate computes lol

Please email me it.... kylescoolmom at yahoo

Thank you so much

Linda

No problem. I figured it would be a little lo-res for printing from the 800x600 photo! You could enlarge it to paper-size, but it would be full of jagged edges and blurry details.

I will whip it up tonight when I get home and have access to the original photo (stuck at work currently). I will e-mail it to you in full-size form, and I'll adjust the print size and ppi so it should be ready to go for a full-page print.

Hi all,

Wow..... What great info. here.....Glad I clicked on your thread KCM..... I think I'm down to Paint shop pro and Print shop for decisions.....I'll check them both out a little more thoroughly.....

Dave,

I've used Ulead before. I used the trial version and really liked it. I just didn't know if these other programs would have the same type program within it.....

Thanks for the info. all........

OK! Linda,

I am sending the e-mail to you in just a few moments. The file is quite large - 4.22MB - and the pixel dimensions of the picture are 2761 x 2134, already cropped to fit on a borderless 8.5"x11" sheet of photo paper. I've set the pixel per inch (PPI) print resolution to 250, which should be near photo quality.

You should only have to save the file to your computer, open the file, choose 'print', and then set your print options to make sure it is printing to full page, and highest resolution. You will get much nicer results with actual photo paper, but plain paper can be used too (just not photo quality!).

If you have any problems printing at full size, it may be your printer set up or the program's print command defaults that you are using. Sometimes, the easiest results would be to print it straight from Windows Picture Viewer or whatever your default viewer program is.

Also - you can always bring the file to a Costco or any photo print center, and they can print photo quality borderless photos of the sheet for you - just specify that you want the 8.5x11 print size, or to fit the photo to the paper as opposed to cropping (otherwise some of the letters might get cut off the ends).

If you have any troubles, or need it resized, cropped, turned into an 8x10, etc - just let me know. I've kept the original .psp file which can be edited.

Best of luck!

Dave,

Have you ever printed directly to letter sized magnetic sheets? I noticed them at Staples the other day. If that works, seems like the easier way to create a door sign rather than the double step of foam core and magnetic stips. What do you think?

Dave,

Have you ever printed directly to letter sized magnetic sheets? I noticed them at Staples the other day. If that works, seems like the easier way to create a door sign rather than the double step of foam core and magnetic stips. What do you think?

Yes I have.

My son-in-law had me make some refrigerator-door reminder cards for his carpet-cleaning business using them. They printed fine (not sure if I would display photos at a show on them..) and didn't smear or anything. The only issue I had was that I had to keep a bit of pressure on the sheet before it would feed into the printer. Once in, no problem.

They're rather thin, but would do well as a door sign!

Dave

I just have to put in another plug for Paint Shop Pro. I've used it for almost 10 years now, and it's a great program. I first got it when I used to do web design and didn't want to shell out the big bucks for Photoshop. It really is unbelievably powerful for such an inexpensive program! It's also easy to find tutorials on the web for just about anything you could possibly want to do with it.

Good luck, and have fun with it! It can be a little addictive--kind of like cruising. ;)

Quote:

And can the 8 X 10 pages with the editing that Justin did or the type that jbond did, can it be put into photobooks?

Absolutely. When working on a photo with layers, you generally save it in the program's own format - both Photoshop and PSP have their own file type that keeps all of the layers separate and does not perform any compression. When you want to make a print of an edited photo - such as the poster you created, you simply open the layered file, click on 'save as', choose 'jpg/jpeg' file type, and save it. It will notify you that the jpg version will 'flatten' all the layers - just say OK. Then your poster will be a jpg file, which is the mode most photos come out of the camera as - any print shop will just recognize it as a photograph, and print it exactly as you saved it...graphics and all! Note: it's a good idea to always use the best possible quality mode when saving as a 'jpg' file - clicking on 'options' before saving will allow you to set the quality to maximum.

Justin,

Where can a person go to print the photo books that will use the pages with photos /text overlay? I usually use Snapfish for alot of my film stuff and they have photo books, but they don't let you arrange it with photos/text overlay..... I would love to do this for signs and to do my cruise photo books..... Any ideas?

Debbie,

All of the online photo printing services usually accept photos in the ubiquitous .jpg format, since a majority of P&S cameras shoot in that format, and most DSLR users either shoot in jpeg or convert to jpeg when uploading photos. So the key to printing these is: Save whatever you want printed as a .jpg file to upload to the photo print company.

Because the door signs posted above actually had the text placed over the graphics and then saved as a .jpg file, when you upload to the print shop, or to post online, it uploads the file exactly as you saved it - text and all. And that's what will print.

If you wanted to have other items printed into a photo book, such as menus, tickets, or other paper documents - you can do this with a scanner. Most scanners give you the option to save a scanned item in a number of formats, ranging from Adobe Acrobat, TIFF, JPEG, and other formats. As long as you scan the item as a .jpg file, it can be printed in a photo book! If you don't have a scanner available, you can go to a place like Kinko's, where they can scan items for you - specify that you need them scanned as .jpg files, and they can give you a CD with the scanned materials.

The photo books are usually self-arranged - some are better than others. Check out a company called www dot mypublisher dot com...they have a software you can download to your computer, then you can pick a format, drop in your photos, add text descriptions, and edit to your heart's content - you are not using the program online - so you don't even need to be connected to the internet. Then when you are ready to send the final product to the company to be printed, you click a button and it will connect to their website. They print my books and send them to me usually within 4 days, and the quality is excellent.

All print shops should be able to print your .jpg files as you submit them - so if you save them with text, or scan a document as .jpg, it will print!

Justin,

You are a wealth of information..... Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm pretty good on the photo stuff, editing, do photo slideshows and such but this text over photos is new to me....... I have a scanner, so not a problem there........ Thanks again.......

Kylescoolmom,

Did you get the e-mail? Just wondering. Let me know if you got it OK and were able to print.

It is perfect just as you said. Thank you so much. :) :) :)

I will be sure to brag about your talents. Thanks again. ;)

I'm not used to layers and don't quite get it.... but I will work on it when it's not so late.... ;)

Think of layers as a components of a scrapbook page. You just lay them on top of each other (move to back, bring to front) and arrange them until you're happy with the result, then you glue (flatten) them down.

Good luck!

Dave

Dave,

That part that you posted I get that.... lol.. But there is some other language I need to learn.... And using the program. I tried to do a collage 5 times last night... But I have to admit, I was tired and didn't read everything. I usually plow right in trying to do it and then go back to directions... must be my type A personality coming out....lol.....:D

So I shall have my coffee, some breakfast and try again.......

kylescoolmom,

Hi! Your thread here has been very interesting!! I was wondering how I could do something like that for MIL/FIL's door. We are celebrating their 50th anniversary on the Explorer OTS in May 08.

Would you be willing to post your door decoration before you go?

Sandy

Ok Justin, Dave & Jbond,

Here's my first attempt at a Collage poster with text. As you can see, it's very raw, very newbie. I couldn't figure out how to make "me" be the top layer and the other photos under so that you wouldn't see such raw/uneven edges of the other photos. It's tricky doing these. This was a couple of hours of work....lol...... The sign ones are pretty easy.... Or so I think as I couldn't figure out how to change the text color.

Me thinks it's time for some computer classes......lol.....

Image1.jpg

Tater..those pics are beautiful..

the rest of you..STOP with all this creative stuff..I am getting jealous.....guess I have to get that photoshop thinggie.........and I was excited when I got a laptop with a card reader thing and a DVD/CD RW thing.....sheesh.....guess I have to take some more classes!!!

Ok Justin, Dave & Jbond,

Here's my first attempt at a Collage poster with text. As you can see, it's very raw, very newbie. I couldn't figure out how to make "me" be the top layer and the other photos under so that you wouldn't see such raw/uneven edges of the other photos. It's tricky doing these. This was a couple of hours of work....lol...... The sign ones are pretty easy.... Or so I think as I couldn't figure out how to change the text color.

Me thinks it's time for some computer classes......lol.....

Image1.jpg

Not a bad first try!

Practice makes...uh, well, you know!

Dave

Not bad at all!

As for the layers...looks like you are getting the idea - just keep using 'copy' and 'paste as new layer' for as many layers as you want to add.

Remember, if you want to move a specific layer around, you just have to go to the 'layers' window at the bottom, and click on the layer you want to move. If you hover your mouse over each layer, after a second you should see a thumbnail showing you which layer that is. To make life easier, you can also 'rename' each layer as you drop it in...as soon as you add the layer, just right-click on the layer name in the layer window (usually, just generically named 'raster 1', 'raster 2', etc), go to 'rename', and name the layer anything you want. It makes it easier to go back and find specific layers when you have alot of them. Once a layer is highlighted, any tool you use will apply only to that layer.

As far as making the photo of you come out on top of all the layers, it's quite simple. In the layer window which shows all the layer names stacked, you can click on any of the layers and drag them up or down, so they either go beneath or on top of any other layer. Just find the layer of 'you', and left-click-drag it to the top of the list...it will then become the topmost layer!

Playing around with the program is alot of fun. You'll learn faster than you can believe. Just wait until you start playing with some of the REALLY cool stuff, like the Clone tool!

Archived