Melbourne Hotel - 2 Nights

ShamrockFL

Would appreciate some advice on a hotel in Melbourne for a couple of nights. We arrive late evening - 7:30 early October, so would also appreicate any suggestions for something to do then other than tuck in. I guess the hotel should be somewhat central to facilitate our sightseeing the following day/evening. Then it's back to the airport the next morning. Looking for something reasonable - say 3***. Thanks.

Another hotel in the same area is the Batman Hill which is a newly renovated hotel in a good area, close to one of stations and our DFO's which are great for shopping.

Have a look at this website: http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-

melbourne-hotels.html

and this one as well: http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-melbourne-cbd-hotels.html

Jennie

A personal favourite of mine is the Mercure Welcome. The location is fantastic. There is a shared entrance onto Swanston St, and you are only one block from Bourke Street Mall. It is a nice stroll down to Flinders Street, and a nice leisurely stroll up to Melbourne Central.

You can get some good deals as well, particularly during the work week.

Early October is our school holidays, so it may be a bit difficult. I have picked up a room for $105 during January while the Australian Open was on, so it is possible.

A personal favourite of mine is the Mercure Welcome. The location is fantastic. There is a shared entrance onto Swanston St, and you are only one block from Bourke Street Mall. It is a nice stroll down to Flinders Street, and a nice leisurely stroll up to Melbourne Central.

You can get some good deals as well, particularly during the work week.

Early October is our school holidays, so it may be a bit difficult. I have picked up a room for $105 during January while the Australian Open was on, so it is possible.

We also stayed at the Mercure on Swanston, great location!!

Laura

DFO's are our Designer Warehouse Outlet shops where we can pick up some great bargains. Southern Cross Station has a huge brand new outlet there and there are loads of shops there. It is very close to both the Holiday Inn Hotel and the Batman Hill Hotel. Melbourne is known for the best shopping in Australia and I have know women from Perth to fly over on the "Red Eye" for a days shopping and then fly home again. Over 8 hours of flying just to shop!

Welcome Inn is very close to the main city shopping area and my sister in law always stays there when she visits from the country. It actually has an entrance into one of our best Department Stores - David Jones.

Jennie

DFO's are our Designer Warehouse Outlet shops where we can pick up some great bargains. Jennie

I guess this is part of the new language I'm going to have to learn shortly - and just why aren't they DWO's then !!!! Seriously, thanks for the explanation and good to know there are such things right there in the city. Over here you usually have to go well off the beaten path to find them and very few if any are in city centers.

ShamrockFL,

Here is the correct meaning. DFO stands for Designer Factory Outlets. Yes we are lucky to have them right in the city as well as in our suburbs. It means that one doesn't have to go too far afield to shop if you are so inclined.

We also have wonderful shopping on Bridge Road in Richmond and Chapel Street in South Yarra. As I mentioned above, Melbourne is a shoppers paradise.

Jennie

Don't think my husband will be too keen on shopping when we are in Melbourne for the day on Mercury ( Jan 23rd)

I have been searching the Celebrity web site , but the tours are so expensive.

Does Melbourne have a 'City Tour Bus?'

Many European cities have them and they often have a 'drop off/ pick up ' point at the pier.

If not has anyone any idea how far away the 'Puffing Billy' station is from the pier; or have any other ideas of how to spend the day in Melbourne. It is our first port of call after leaving Sydney 21.01.08

We have a City Circle Tram that goes around the entire city, it is free and it has a commentary. We also have a free Tourist Bus which takes you to the places that the tram doesn't so tourists are looked after. You pick this up in St. Kilda Road.

You just need to catch the light rail in from the Port - it is about a 15 minute ride into the centre of the city where you will be able to pick up either the tram or the bus.

There is a really good Tourist Information Centre right at the Dock and I think that whilst on board you will be given lots of information.

One thing though, the light rail does cost money and you can buy the ticket at the shop which is right near the stop when you walk over from the ship.

Puffing Billy is too far to do on yourselves for the day. You really need to go with the ship for this excursion as it is in our Dandenong Ranges which are a good 30km from the city.

Jennie

Many thanks. I think we will stay in the city & 'do' it by ourselves.£96 for Puffing Billy seems far too expensive , especially when that is only p.p.

I should say that 96 Sterling is too expensive. Check out tours at: www.melbournetours.com.au Their half day Puffing Billy tour is A$81 per person. I know the ship's tours are usually more expensive than you can get locally, but that's a ridiculous difference. Unfortunately it leaves at 8:15 am which is probably too early for you to catch. But as Jennie pointed out, the free trams seem to be a wonderful deal - the best I have ever come accross in any city.

upwarduk,

Are you sure that the excursion price is not in U.S. dollars. If you are on Celebrity's Mercury I think you will find that they operate in the U.S. currency. If that is the case, the price works out to be about $120AUD. Does it include lunch and other sightseeing?

If you don't go on Puffing Billy, which I consider way down on my list of things to do when visiting Melbourne, you will find there is so much to see in the city that you will not have enough time to see everything.

It is such an easy city to get around, if you have good legs you will find that is the easiest way. For example of places to visit in the city:

Treasury Building

Immigration Building

Museum and Exhibition Buildings which are Heritage listed.

Public Library with the beautiful Dome in the reading room

Federation Square with the best Art Gallery in Australia of Australian painters and Aboriginal Art

Art Gallery on St. Kilda Road again with the best art in Australia of paintings from around the world.

Botanical Gardens

Shrine of Remberance

Queen Victoria Market

Southgate and the Yarra River with boat rides to Williamstown.

Shops and Arcades in the city to explore.

Captain Cook's Cottage in Fitzroy Gardens.

I can keep going but there is a fair list of things to see in a day.

Jennie

has anyone any idea how far away the 'Puffing Billy' station is from the pier; or have any other ideas of how to spend the day in Melbourne. It is our first port of call after leaving Sydney 21.01.08

Jackie & Adrian...depending on your arrival time and considering Adrian's dislike of SHOPPING, I would suggest you view www.atwad.com.au or email them tours@atwad.com.au. His upmarket vehicle takes max 10 pax. Scenic drive thru forest/native birds and Aussie style morning tea...Puffing Billy....Winery visit...Lunch....Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary....spectacular views on return drive. AUD$129 per person. It is top of my list yet I visit Victoria every year! For a country/mountain/Walhalla goldmine/rail experience check out www.mountaintopexperience.com.au - my daughter was married in Walhalla and ran Horseback Safaris for 15 years. It has breathtaking scenery and so much history.

Whatever you do I'm sure you will love Melbourne. A great City!

B E V :confused: :)

Hi,

I agree with Jennie...if you only have one day in melbourne then don't go to puffing billy! Too far away!

There is so much to see in Melbourne!

Try:

A stroll along St Kilda Rd to see our Shrine of Rememberance and Art Centre with the golden spire (and if you see the "Lady Janet Clarke rotunda" in the gardens just know that is where I got married!!) and not too far from the art centre you can see our famous "Flinders Street Station". A one hour cruise down the Yarra can be picked up nearby.

Maybe head into the centre of the city for some upmarket shopping or head to Queen Vic markets for cheapy souvenirs. Vic Market is a hop skip and a jump to Lygon Street where you can grab lunch and really get a taste of Melbourne's multiculturalism (great Italian and Greek restaurants....great Melbournian espresso bars if you love coffee)

Even a walk through our new docklands precinct is lovely, and our Australian Rules Football Colonial stadium is nearby.

I guess it depends on what your interests are, but Melbourne is a very interesting town. old world and modern juxtaposed.. make the most of it and see as much as you can!

Carlz

I find that walking around the little laneways and alleyways fills in alot of the day!!;) I love hopping on a tram and experincing the 'Real' Melbourne. I love sitting back and enjoying the scenery. There are some beautiful parks, gardens and houses around Melbourne that aren't in the Tourist flyers and brochures.

I just stayed at the Crossley Hotel on Little Bourke Streeet. It was a nice little boutique hotel. It was relatively quiet, and the room was very nice too. It may be a little bit out of the way, but great for the Theatres.

Jarrod,

I agree with you. Melbourne has so many wonderful lanes and arcades to explore. Also, take a tram down to St. Kilda Beach and go for a walk around there is also fun. The Number 8 tram - Toorak - is also a lovely tram ride. Both of these trams go along Swanston Street in the heart of the city.

Jennie

Archived