Blue Lagoon Cruises

cruizinfools

We have booked a three night cruise with Blue Lagoon the first week in October. Can anyone tell me about recent experiences with this line (within the last year)? We have been on 9 cruises but all on the large ships and aren't sure what to expect. What are the cabins and crew like? Is it possible to get away from the other passengers when you just want to be by yourself and not in the cabin? I am sure we will have a great time - we always do! Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Hi Shari,

At least someone acknowledged my post! I will certainly let you know how our cruise goes. We are combining the cruise with a 3 night stay in a beach bungalow in Fiji. We weren't comfortable booking a 7 night cruise on our first small ship experience.

So maybe I should open up my question a bit more....has anyone been on a Blue Lagoon cruise in the last 2-3 years?? I did a search and only found posts from the early 2000's (5-6 years old).

Thanks,

Marilyn

I haven't been on a cruise in the last 5 years but I can tell you that my husband and I enjoyed a previous cruise so much we went back and did it again. The second time we did the 7 day cruise. If it is anything like it was previously, you will have a most wonderful time.

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised Blue Lagoon last year in Oct.

6 night gold club cruise on the Fiji Princess.

Easy check in,we had extra luggage and left it at the check-in-lounge,

BLC brought it to the dock when we came back to port.

There were only 36 passengers on this cruise, 6 Americans,2 Italians,2 Brits,5 Aussies the rest Kiwis. 3 honeymoon couples. 2 birthday boys.

This is their Catamaran with a pool aft ( back )

3 decks with cabins , we were on bridge deck .

Very nice cabins , airconditioning,bathroom ,tv , lots of storage,fridge.

Bottle of champagne in ice bucket.

I am not sure anymore about the powerplugs. Either we were just be able to plug in our american chargers,Ipod & digital camera,or ,since we had just been in New Zealand we had adapters for NZ outlets.

Food ... some very good ,some not .

Service....the best ever ! Anything the crew could do to make their passengers happy .

The first morning , they will take everyone to the beach to show you how to use the snorkeling equipment (bring your own or rent theirs )

You can snorkel right off the beach,whichever one you are on, or you can go out with the tender. We never had more then 12 people at one time that wanted to snorkel on the reefs.Whenever you snorkel off the tender

( 2x daily ) one of the crew is snorkeling with you and 2 are in the tender.

Any problem,raise your hand and they will pull you out.

6:00 is morning swim. Nobody says you have to swim,but the beachwalking is just as good.

One thing ,the only time you will get on and off the ship without getting your feet wet is when you leave or return to Lautoka dock. Everything else is tendered, with the ever helpful crew to give you a hand.

We brought way too many clothes.

You will need sunscreen, flip-flops,sulus/sarongs,some nice Hawaiian Shirts for the guys,similar tops for ladies and a the need for a relaxing vacation.

I could keep going with our experience ,but basically it comes down to this.

You cannot compare this cruise to one of the big cruises,but for us this was the best cruise experience we have had and we are looking into doing it again in 2008

Bula

Leonie & Peter

Hello Leonie & Peter,

We leave for Fiji tomorrow evening! Thanks so much for the post. I am now even more excited due to your great review! I haven't checked the boards for at least a week as hubby and I have been working very long days - really need this vacation. I was happily surprised to see 2 new posts on this thread. I had given up on getting any recent reviews on Blue Lagoon. Thanks again for all the info!

Shari,

I booked through Costco's travel services which, BTW, I will probably never do again. Only because getting a hold of them is very hard and time consuming - there are no direct numbers even after you have booked a vacation with them. You dial the 800 # and wait your turn. I will do my best to post a review quickly, but please be patient. Hubby & I have a big presentation due at work just 2 days after our return so we will most likely be consumed again as soon as we return. :(

BULA!

Marilyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CruizinFools- How was your Blue Lagoon Cruise? I've been eyeing up their 7 day cruise for a long time and like you never find any passenger feedback. I'm new to Cruise Critic and was hoping to find out more here. We're looking for relaxing low key and casual and most importantly fantastic beaches and snorkeling opportunities. I'd love to hear how your trip was. Thanks.

Also anyone else have info? Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised on the Blue Lagoon's Fiji Princess twice. The first time was in late Feb. 2006 and we took friends back with us in March 2007. We have been on 44 different cruises, and I completely agree with Leoni and Peter, that you cannot compare this to the big cruises- It's completely different. It is one of the best travel experiences we've ever had and plan to do it again, probably in 2009. Next time we'll do two back to back cruises on the Fiji Princess, because it's really far to travel for only 1 week's vacation. In Feb. 2006, we spent 2 days following the cruise at the Sonaisali Island Resort. While it is a lovely resort, it was a big letdown following the cruise. I don't recommend staying at a resort following the cruise- I would only stay beforehand. The snorkeling in the Yasawa Islands is some of the best in the world. My husband enjoyed fishing off the ship at night with the crew. The crew is the best we've encountered anywhere- so friendly and genuine. The 2006 cruise we had 34 passengers, many from Australia and New Zealand, England, and Canada. Only 1 other couple was from the US and no children on board. The 2007 cruise there were only 20 of us, with no children. The cabins are very nice- I recommend upgrading - they're a little larger. The food- some is excellent, some is not, but you won't go hungry. I do recommend mosquito repellent- We only needed it one night, at the Fijiian feast on the island, but we did need it!!! If you aren't into snorkeling or diving or beaches, this probably isn't the cruise for you. After the 2007 cruise we booked a room at the Raffles Hotel near the airport, because our flight was not until midnight that night. The Raffles was nice - clean and has a nice swimming pool to enjoy during the day while you're awaiting your flight time. I think we booked it for $67 online. I'm looking forward to returning to Fiji and the Fiji Princess!

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked the 6 night cruise for next October. Thanks for your information. We are staying at a resort for a few nights after the cruise. Now I am worried about what you said, maybe we should say there before the cruise??

Shari

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My husband and I just went to the Travel Show and got info on Blue Lagoon Cruises which looks very tempting. I see the previously positive posts but I'm just wondering if anyone has sailed with them more recently and what their experience was. Please let me know. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am finally posting a review of our cruise aboard Blue Lagoon's Fiji Princess and apologize for not getting this done in a timely fashion. We had a GREAT time, but my husband and I love cruizin'! We were a bit anxious about it because this was our first on a small ship (11th cruise). We were not sure we would like being in such close quarters with the other passengers ALL the time, which is why we went on the 4 day, 3 night cruise. Plus, we wanted to experience a Fiji resort as well and could only take a week total, so we also stayed at Malolo Island Resort for 3 nights (first part of trip; btw, I don't think it matters which end you stay at a resort). Even though Fiji is a long way from the US, it was the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken - completely away from television, cell phones, and cars! We only saw vehicles on the first and last days of the trip (to & from the airport).

We thought the small ship experience was very special, although it has not dimenished our desire to cruise on large ships as well. As mentioned in other posts, you do get to know the crew pretty well. You can get to know the other passengers if you want to or not. Just like on large ships, it is your choice to participate in activities and how much you interact with others. Our cabin was one of the largest we have ever had and we did not upgrade - we usually never go for more than your standard balcony cabin on a large ship. The room was a bit dated, but nice. The hair dryer was like nothing I had ever seen before and became almost too hot to hold after a few minutes (one of the few negative comments I put on the comment card). The food was pretty good overall. All meals except the first night were buffet style so there was always a nice selection. They did not pour alcoholic drinks like they do in the states - they measured out a single shot exactly! This was true at the resort as well. And the drinks were not cheap by any means.

The snorkeling was absolutely incredible. We went on our own at the resort - saw lots of blue starfish and many other types of sea life. But the highlight was the guided snorkel tours that the ship provided. We had never been on guided tours before, but now I know that I probably missed lots of creatures on past snorkeling trips. Among other things, we saw a sea snake and an octopus! Another excursion offered is a visit to a Fijian village which is very educational and fun. We bought interesting shells for our grandchildren and I purchased shell earrings for myself at the shell market. The last day was spent on Blue Lagoon's private island which was another fun day. As it indicates on their website you can swim, snorkel, kayak, play volleyball, or just hang out. The traditional island feast, although interesting how they prepare it in the ground, was the most disappointing meal - very bland. Also, every morning of the cruise, they will tender you into shore for a swim or a walk on the beach. We never made it as they left at 6 am.

I can't think of anything else to add right now except that I highly recommend Blue Lagoon and the small ship experience!

Marilyn :D

Marilyn, thank you for your review. I am very interested in trying this cruise and all information is very much appreciated. You mentioned that the food was buffet style and pretty good. Could you elaborate? I love fresh fish and would very much enjoy it if I could have some every night!:D

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

My husband and I don't remember distinctly but are pretty sure there was at least one seafood selection and usually more at both lunch and dinner. On the last full day at the private island, at lunch, they served some sort of grilled and/or smoked fish that was extremely tasty. My hubby seems to think they may have also served some fish at breakfast as well - I don't remember that being the case. I do remember that they served some sort of baked beans for breakfast, which we both thought was strange but I guess that is a British/Australian custom.

One more bit of information that may or may not be of interest to you since I don't know where you are from. There was only one other couple from the US besides us. And from my research, this is typical. Blue Lagoon attracks many folks from Australia and New Zealand. Although on our cruise there was a large group (over 30 people) from England. They were all on a company sponsered trip along with the company's president. They had spent their first week in Fiji building a home for a needy family then went on the 4 day cruise. They were an interesting group but they tended to socialize mostly amongst themselves. We found all the passengers to be pretty friendly and interesting table mates. Because most of the meals are buffet style, you could change table mates at every meal. Some folks tended to sit with the same people at every meal - we tried to mix it up a bit.

Hope this helps! BULA!

Marilyn

Archived