Luggage and British Air

emmylou

This is getting me nervous.I keep reading how British Airways keeps losing luggage.We are leaving for the Rhine River cruise in November and our cruise includes our airfare and we have been booked on British Airways we were not given a choice of airlines.My questions are how many have had thier luggage lost in the past year and is British Air the only airline this is happening on.

emmy

I flew British Air from Phoenix to Zurich via Heathrow in July. This was also for a Rhine River curise. My luggage was lost for 7 days. BA said it was found at Heathrow. Another couple on the ship lost 2 of their 3 bags on BA going thru Heathrow. The got thiers the same day as me. I travel internationally 2-3 times a year and this is the first time my luggage has been lost for more than 2-3 hours. It is also the first time I traveled on BA.

My wife and I travel frequently and have made a habit of packing at least one change of clothes in our carry-on luggage. It has saved us a few times - not for lost luggage, but luggage that has taken longer to get where we were going than we did. With two changes you will have: one that you wear, and two to change into. That gives you plenty of opportunity to wash the ones you need to when you need to.

Buck.

DH and I always pack half his clothes in my suitcase and half my clothes in his suitcase.That way if something is delayed or lost we will each have some clothes. We also always carryon at least 1 or 2 changes of clothes. The good thing about these river cruises is at least you don't have to carry really dress up clothes that take up alot of room.He did not even bring a coat or tie on our rver cruise Budapest to Amsterdam in July.

That said we avoid BA and Heathrow,totally dislike both! One trip on BA was enough for me. We have an Irish surname and really go through the ringer going through security at Heathrow!:eek: Talk about profiling.Oh MY!!

We have traveled to Europe 5 times in 4 years and have been very lucky. Our luggage has always arrived the same time we did,even when we had tight connections.

We leave for our Amadeus Danube cruise on Sept 27th. We, too, have a transfer at LHR, onto British Air. We plan to take 22" carryons with some clothes. I like the idea of splitting the clothing in the checked bags (in case, one gets lost).

We travel to Europe frequently but have avoided LHR & BA - when making the reservations I must have been channeling Dirty Harry - "do you feel lucky?":confused: :rolleyes:

Roger I am sorry you lost your luggage. What were you able to do for changes of clothes for 7 days??

I appreciate the idea of puting half and half only problem is I am traveling with my sister and she lives in Maryland and I live in N.J.We will be meeting up at the airport.I was going to take a smaller suitcase on board with only a change of clothes and my camera meds and personal items since we have a one piece of luggage and purse has to be in it as well.Maybe I'll be rethinking that and take the 22 incher instead.Could pack at least 2 changes in that.

Mimi

I'm with you on that dirty Harry quote.I hope we both get lucky.Let us know how you make out and from now till you get back I will repeat no lost luggage for Mimi at the end of my prayers.

emmy

EmmyLou,

LOL - Thank you for keeping me in your travel prayers. I will do the same for you. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. (BTW: take the 22") Travel should always be an adventure...................... (uneventful air travel is always a blessing!)

Shorex, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that there was a Cruise Air forum on CC. As a creature of habit, I usually visit my favorite & current forums, Regent, River, Seadream, and Europe. Now I have a new stop to make. I get most of my air travel info from flyertalk.

Still waiting for our travel docs. I am getting my carryons & bags ready for the adventure. Will we get all our luggage or will BA/LHR win yet another battle??? We will keep you posted.;)

Wishing those who fly on BA uneventful and safe travels!

We may need to fly BA next year, Budapest to Prague. I sincerely hope BA gets their act together. We've flow BA twice before; once in Club World, the other in World Traveler Plus. In all honesty, we had really excellent experiences in both cabins and our luggage arrived where and when we did. Flight crew was extremely accommodating and pleasant.

Mimie and Emmylou,

Your cruises are fast approaching. I am so looking forward to your reviews upon your return!

BA is not alone . . . Air France and Lufthansa also lost luggage of pax on our Aug 2007 river cruise. Fortunately all were found within 36 hours.

Moral of the story . . . crosspack and bring clothes in carry ons.

Emmy,

I did have one change of clothes in my carryon. To survive the 7 days without luggage I bought toiletries, and 2 more changes of clothes especially underwear. Once on the GCT ship they did my laundry for free. GCt really went out of their way to help me.

We live in Europe and fly BA all the time. We have not had a problem for several years with luggage and the last time we did it was because our inbound (to Heathrow) flight from Vancouver was really late and we made the Geneva flight but our bags didin't. They were delivered the next day at our home in Switzerland.

Furthermore don't blame BA - it is the British Airports Authority (company owned by Spaniards!) who are responsible for baggage at Heathrow and other airports and they are the villans!!

However when you have a connection anywhere in the world it is more than prudent to put at least one change of clothes in your carry on - two if you can - and to mix your clothes between suitcases so that if one gets lost both of you still have clothes!

But be aware that going through any UK airport the government has decreed that you can only have ONE piece of hand luggage. Everyone says this is crazy but that is the way it is at present. So you can leave the US, or any other European airport, with a handbag and a carryon, but when you go through British security to get your connecting flight you have to consolidate both into one bad. Dumb - yes! But that is the way it is! Why on earth the UK government cannot use European rules I do not know. Hopefully this will change soon. Meantime, be warned!

Archived