Lets Talk HAL Guarantee and upgrades.

donh1

Just consider Holland America. No other Cruise Lines. We have booked two times in the past with a Guarantee. I got exactly what I paid for on one and the second time was upgraded from and outside obstructed to an oceanview. I guess I'm batting 500. My upcoming cruise is also a guarantee so if I get upgraded I'll be batting 750. What's everyone elses experience with guarantees....:rolleyes:

Only booked a guarantee one time, and that was for an SS. I couldn't see a "bad" one on the ship, and it was much closer to sailing than I usually book, so went that route. Got just what I ordered. Otherwise, I'm not into guarantees. I generally like to choose my cabin location.

We have booked four HAL cruises with guarantees but only sailed three times due to a medical emergency. Coincidentally, the only cruise that didn't get upgraded was the one that we had to cancel. We are either batting .750 or 1.000 depending on your point of view.

Two VC guarantees, one each on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam, wound up as VA cabins. Our SY guarantee on the Oosterdam was upgraded two or three days before we sailed to an SB at no charge. The specific ships, itineraries and dates appear in the signature below.

Bill

This is my first time w/HAL but I would have to say next time I will follow the advice of a ccer. I don't remember who said it or who have said it, but book a guarantee you would be happy to live with. Really didn't understand that until recently.

I had booked a VH guarantee on my Noordam cruise. Didnt' really understand guarantees or locations at that time. There are only 4 VH cabins on the Noordam, the are in extreme bow (I think that's what it's called) of the ship, have a metal railing on the balcony (as I'm a short person this was really going to hamper my efforts to see the sea while sitting) and are above a show lounge. Potential noise problems.

As I came to understand all this issues I called my TA, said before the ship sells out, I would pay for an upgrade. Was hoping for one of those upsell offers you hear about. Long story short, I notice the ship is almost sold out, almost all balcony categories have unavailable on them. I call TA, can't reach her, I call HAL, they say only your TA change reservation, I call TA again still can't reach her. I'm paniced by now, freaking out. TA finally calls, can't really be mad at her (well I can, but can't show it) cuz she's been having fun at the dentist. By the time she calls HAL all baconies have sold out.

I was truely bummed. If I hadn't had so much invested in preparing for this cruise already would have cancelled. My sister tried to keep my spirits up, saying there only 4 of these cabins, you will probably get an upgrade. I kept saying with someone has to have them and it will most likely be me. I was not letting any upbeat personalities squalize on my rain parade. For weeks I walked around with that rain cloud over my head.

About 3 weeks from my cruise date the upgrade fairy took pity on me. I received a category VC, room 5147 assignment. I don't know how good of an upgrade this is, but I truely understand only book the guarentee you would be happy to get.

This was proably why more information then you wanted to know.:)

Happy cruising

magictam, I totally understand you story and totally agree if doing a guarantee book something you can live with. Which I have but like any cruising fanatic we always hope for the Silver Lining or an Upgrade Fairy. Our first time with a Guarantee really does not count because it was a repositioning cruise and to do this cruise and get the S Suite category you had to book a Guarantee the only question was where on the Navigation Deck we would end up with on the Veendam. The next time was a true test and I admit I had my ups and downs. For the last several years we had booked a S Suite and this past cruise we decided to book a SY Guarantee. Now we had never had this category before but had looked inside these cabins and they looked to be very close in size to our corner aft suite on the Oosterdam. Right at the 3 week mark we received our cabin assignment and w got exactly what we booked an SY cabin. While we thought the location looked good we could not help but wish and hope that the Upgrade/Upsell Fairy would appear before we cruise. Well, she never came but we were thrilled with the cabin. As the cruise week progressed we found we really loved the location and the cabin so we really were thrilled with what we got. So with that being said we came home and rebooked the Noordam returning to Alaska and with the great pricing for a 3 day sale we again booked a SZ Guarantee (same type of cabin) Now here we are playing this waiting game again. Monday the cabin number appeared and this time we got an SS. Of course we know the cabin is quite nice but were not really sure about the location and being on the Navigation Deck so far forward. So we would have been happy with this cabin but human nature just wanted me to wish for the Upsell Fairy. Well, we did not have to wait long.... today my TA called that she got the email asking if we would like to pay to upgrade to a S Suite. While the price was a bit higher than I have heard quoted here before I jumped quickly. So I can say it does happen eventually.:)

Just consider Holland America. No other Cruise Lines. We have booked two times in the past with a Guarantee. I got exactly what I paid for on one and the second time was upgraded from and outside obstructed to an oceanview. I guess I'm batting 500. My upcoming cruise is also a guarantee so if I get upgraded I'll be batting 750. What's everyone elses experience with guarantees....:rolleyes:

We just got back from Noordam 12 August Alaska glacier cruise. We booked inside cabin guarantee (category MM) and we were upgraded to a large outside cabin (category F). Perhaps it was our excellent travel agenty (Al Gamm of Vacations to Go) who got us the upgrade. Or perhaps it was just the luck of the "upgrade fairy."

today my TA called that she got the email asking if we would like to pay to upgrade to a S Suite. While the price was a bit higher than I have heard quoted here before I jumped quickly. So I can say it does happen eventually.:)

Lisa

Enjoy you new cabin. I'm already enviouse of you next Noordam cruise and to go in style all the better.

I look forward to your live from the Noordam reports again.:D

We're either batting 0 or 1000, depending on how you define upgrade! :D Some people say that an upgrade is only when you go from inside to outside, or outside>verandah, or verandah>superior, or superior>deluxe. By that definition I'm batting zero.

I say an upgrade is anytime we get a better cabin than we pay for, and by that definition we're 4-for-4.

The one coming up in three weeks is the first time we didn't book a guarantee, because we wanted to be on the port side. We picked a specific cabin ... and said we did not want an upgrade.

Volendam - Cat NN to Cat A -No paid upgrade, just upgraded... (1 day cruise)

Westerdam - Cat NN to Cat GG - No extra $

Oosterdam - Cat NN to Cat SC (you guessed it... we paid some extra here... about $400/pp

Amsterdam - NN to DA - No extra $

Oosterdam (Sept 29) LOCKED IN at SY 5002. (Mom's coming with and needs the w/c accessible room!

If not for that we totally would have Guaranteed on this sailing

Out of 16 cruises we have booked 14 guarantees and have been upgraded 13 times. We have had really good luck with guarantees. Perhaps because we book directly through HAL.?

Hands down, I think you have the best record for serious upgrades. Too bad your HAL cruise consultant is not taking on new clients.

This was proably why more information then you wanted to know.:)

Happy cruising

I think this is one of the better stories illustrating that when you book a guarantee, accept that you could end up in the worst cabin, in the category. In your case, with a choice of 4 cabins, it did not matter much, which one you ended up in.

I am glad this worked out for you and someone who booked an outside cabin was probably thrilled to get your balcony cabin.

We've been truly upgraded twice in 13 HAL cruises.

First time was from a specified (not guaranteed) Cat C to a Cat A (the former mini-suite) on the Amsterdam.

Second time was from a guaranteed Cat SZ on the Oosterdam. We were initially upgraded to a Cat SY, and upon check-in, upgraded to a Cat SA!!! :D THANKS, HAL!

Our last cruise booking was for a guarantee Cat C on the Zaandam, which is what we got---and it was fine!

So, with respect to just guarantee reservations, we have been upgraded once in two such reservations. When we book a guarantee, we choose a category in which we will be happy if we wind up getting a cabin in that category. We do not expect any upgrades, but as the saying goes, "hope springs eternal"!

Out of 16 cruises we have booked 14 guarantees and have been upgraded 13 times. We have had really good luck with guarantees. Perhaps because we book directly through HAL.?

Who is your cruise consultant with HAL? Also, are these what some would consider a true upgrade? I am not sure most would consider a VE to VA an upgrade if the Verandah is the same size (just paying for a higher location on the ship).

Who is your cruise consultant with HAL? Also, are these what some would consider a true upgrade? I am not sure most would consider a VE to VA an upgrade if the Verandah is the same size (just paying for a higher location on the ship).
A VE balcony is about 4.5 ft deep, and a VA (non-stern) is about 6 ft deep, so that would be a 33% increase. I think VE to VA is a good upgrade, as was magictam's VH to VC.

Hands down, I think you have the best record for serious upgrades. Too bad your HAL cruise consultant is not taking on new clients.

Hammybee: I talked to him about you send me an e-mail .

Trisha

Type of upgrades: We consider it an upgrade to go from inside to outside or better.

We are booked on the upcoming cruise aboard the Zuderdam, Sept 29th for a repositioning cruise back to Ft. Lauderdale.. have a guarantee of a VH balcony.. when do you usually get your cabin assignment . I check everyday on the online immigration form but no cabin assignment yet.

Nancy

Nancy--

Looking forward to meeting you on Zuiderdam ... glad you'll be on the cruise, too! (even tho' we'll board in LA for 17 days, not your 21...).

Keep checking HAL because I think they are working on guarantees and cabin assignments now ... all the categories show as closed (and I'm pretty sure it's not fully sold out) so I suspect they'll try to work some upsells and then give the cabin assignments to the guarantees.

Let us know when you get your assignment!

.. when do you usually get your cabin assignment .
Usually 3 weeks out or later. Once we didn't get an assignment until 3 days before sailing, and some people don't find out until they get to the pier. In my experience, the later the better! :)

Usually 3 weeks out or later. Once we didn't get an assignment until 3 days before sailing, and some people don't find out until they get to the pier. In my experience, the later the better! :)

Our PCC told us the later your told the better the chance for an upgrade.

We always check with the porter that has the cabin assignment list when we check our baggage.

Virgil

Our PCC told us the later your told the better the chance for an upgrade.

We always check with the porter that has the cabin assignment list when we check our baggage.

Virgil

Trish, I have been thinking. You have this 30 day cruise in January you return to San Diego the first part of Feb. Why don't you just stay in San Diego a few days then hop on the Oosterdam Feb 9th and join us for the Yum Yum Man cruise:D Why bother to go home, just have 7 more days of FUN;)

1. Westerdam - booked a VA guarantee (GREAT price too!) and got a VA stern. I doubted we'd get bumped to the next level, a suite. Funny thing - we didn't get our cabin assignment until we got to the pier.

2. Maasdam - booked a H guarantee outside fully/partially obstructed (again, the price was amazing), and got an E outside with a full view! The room was much more spacious than we had expected too.

3. This time around, we booked a VE guarantee on Zuiderdam. We won a free cruise playing the lotto on our last cruise so we cashed in here. The prize is for an MM guarantee, taxes and port charges not included. For just a little more $ we were able to get the VE balcony guarantee, with which I'm very happy! :)

So far we're batting 500!

Archived