Less than a month and Princess is changing the hours in port

Sandy R

We leave in less than a month and each time I check our itinerary, there's another port time change. Wouldn't mind so much but we have private tour guides to deal with. One of our port hours was changed twice in 2 days. We sail Princess frequently and this is the first time there have been so many changes, so close to sailing. Anyone else have this happen? What gives?

Sandy

Time changes are nothing. When we booked Eastern Caribbean a few years ago, we were told we would be going to Domenica instead of Granada because of hurricane damage. When we boarded the ship there was a message in the cabin that we would, in fact, be going to Granada after all, and not Domenica. We had made arrangements to visit friends in Domenica. Some of the crew didn't even know about the change of port until later!!! :eek: This is another good reason to always book tours with Princess! By the way, the Sun Princess was only the second ship to return to Granada after that terrible hurricane, and she off loaded food and supplies to the island. There was not a roof intact on the entire island, but the children were attending school in tents. :)

Unfortunately, changes can be made at any time, including while you're already onboard. On our Alaskan cruise, we discovered one port was shortened by an hour. Our excursion was near the end of the stay, but it was booked through Princess so the time was adjusted slightly and even then, we got back to the ship after the sailaway time, due to the weather conditions (so at least the ship waited for our group to return).

that's why it's a good idea to find out the cancellation policy from an excursions company before the cruise, and have a contact number, just in case.

I was told once by an independent operator in Alaska that they know the schedules better than the passengers. I had the same concerns as you and that is what I was told. Those excursions are their livelyhood and they make it their business to know the ship schedules. Hopefully that is the case with your independent person.

Marilyn

Usually it's the port authorities who set the docking schedules. When they have several ships coming in, the shoreside gang that handles ropes, pilots for the ship, and government agents who check the ship's manifest all have to be scheduled. Private tour operators are really good about making adjustments, even on short notice, as we found out when we were delayed more than 2-1/2 hours at Belfast.

I also make sure I have the phone numbers of local tour operators just in case there are changes to verify that the operator is aware of the situation.

Time changes are nothing. When we booked Eastern Caribbean a few years ago, we were told we would be going to Domenica instead of Granada because of hurricane damage. When we boarded the ship there was a message in the cabin that we would, in fact, be going to Granada after all, and not Domenica. We had made arrangements to visit friends in Domenica. Some of the crew didn't even know about the change of port until later!!! :eek: This is another good reason to always book tours with Princess!

I generally book independant tours in places like the Med and Baltic, etc. Simply a much better bang for my buck. However many people prefer the convenience of booking with the cruise line - and if that is your priority, then the ship tours can't be beat, I never pay up- front for a private tour and will not give a deposit or credit card # simply for the above reason.

We leave in less than a month and each time I check our itinerary, there's another port time change…. What gives?Sandy

First, here is the portion of the cruise contract that covers these changes:

7. CARRIER’S RIGHT TO CANCEL, CHANGE TIME OF SAILING OR PORTS OF EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION OR SHORTEN CRUISE; SUBSTITUTION.

Carrier may, at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation except as provided herein, cancel the Cruise, change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise or substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation or lodging. Passenger shall have no claim against Carrier, and Carrier shall not be liable (whether for damages or a refund, payment or compensation) for hotel or meal charges, travel expenses or other loss, delay, inconvenience, disappointment or expense whatsoever in such circumstances, except as follows:

I didn’t post the rest, you have/will be sent the cruise contract with other info before the cruise.

In a nutshell, Princess (and most other cruise lines) does not guarantee you will be going anywhere. They could legally push back from the dock ten feet and wait there for seven days and meet their end of the contract.

In your case, who knows what is going on in that port? Different ships come and go and berth space is assigned, it’s not a parking lot. At some point, some unknown ship had to change its schedule starting a domino type reaction.

This is one of the down sides when booking excursions on your own.

Archived