ON A LIGHTER NOTE... What will you be reading on your upcoming cruise?

NorCalCruiseGuy

Our public library (and maybe yours, too) has thousands of books on CD. They used to be books on cassette but most prefer CD nowadays, which is great because books on cd are usually more than a hardcover. I import them into my Ipod the same way I would import a music CD, which is to say you put it in your computer and click "import" in your itunes (which you need for an Ipod but I'm sure this works with other MP3 devices, too). A book on CD is, after all, just a music CD where the person is speaking instead of singing. There's no "conversion" necessary. A 5 disc abridged book is about a half a gigabyte and a normal unabridged book is about 10 discs, or closer to a gigabyte. I have an 80 GB Ipod but used to have a 30 and could carry many books.

Some readers on Books on CD are more like actors and they add a lot of performance. Some are just straight readers. I have learned that authors are more often better writers than readers.

A few years ago I was addicted to books on tape. I used to get them from the library and listen to them in my car on the way to work. It definitely helped pass the time driving on the expressway in rush hour traffic. Somehow I got "out" of that mode, though. I think it's time to get CDs like you mention and putting them on an MP3 player so I can enjoy books more. Thank you for mentioning something I used to LOVE doing but somehow forgot all about!!!

Lynn

A few years ago I was addicted to books on tape. I used to get them from the library and listen to them in my car on the way to work. It definitely helped pass the time driving on the expressway in rush hour traffic. Somehow I got "out" of that mode, though. I think it's time to get CDs like you mention and putting them on an MP3 player so I can enjoy books more. Thank you for mentioning something I used to LOVE doing but somehow forgot all about!!!

Lynn

You're welcomed. I listen during my walk to work and understand it coming and going, in terms of wanting to listen. I listened to nearly 70 books last year while walking but sometimes, I just want to listen to the birds.

A book on CD that I would heartily recommend is Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby. Funny and moving.

STANCPA44--the library on Galaxy will probably not be any better than on Mercury--very skimpy. X has been phasing out the librarians, too. I use the library mostly to get my daily news headline, crossword and trivia pages.

I bring paperbacks to save on weight. I read mysteries and romances and sometimes non-mystery fiction. I have used the libraries on our ships. That's where I discovered Iris Johannsen when I borrowed "The Search". Later I read the earlier books in the series and kept up with it. Last Jan. the librarian on Mercury got out the bird reference books to help me ID a bird I had seen on an excursion.

There shoud be a store on board that sells popular paperbacks--usually the liquor store.. Sometimes I run out and have to get another book for the trip home.

BTW--my 44 is for the year I was born, what's yours?

Titanic, Poseidon Adventure. ;)

Too funny! ;)

I'm not cruising again 'til May, but I spend two hours a day on a boat (Washington State Ferry) getting to/from work, so I'll throw my two cents in!

Finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" last week...Khaled Hosseini cannot write another book fast enough as far as I'm concerned!

Just started "Songs Without Words" by Ann Packer; very well reviewed and so far, excellent book!

What I read most, though, are quirky memoirs; my two favorites are by Haven Kimmel -- "A Girl Named Zippy" and the followup, "She Got Up Off The Couch". I smile just thinking about those books! I think they'd be great cruise reads! Oh, and anything by David Sedaris...

*Sigh* I love books; and I've got an iPod, but it's just not the same...

ILVMM--I was down to 47 on the "Lean, Mean.. " list and happened to see it in the rack of Fast Read books (7-day) so I grabbed it and took off my reserve. It's a hoot like all the rest. I started it right away and finished it the next day. Have read Joan Hess? She hasn't had a new Maggody book(Hilarious series set in the Ozarks) for a while so I'm reading her Claire Malloy series. I love funny mystery books like these, Jill Churchill and many others. We have a local author, Sharon Short, who writes books similar to these. Keep an eye out for her series about the fictional Paradise, OH. Her regular column in our newspaper is always amusing.

ILVMM--I was down to 47 on the "Lean, Mean.. "

HEY! I'm moving right along now...am down /up to #73 on "Lean, Mean"...

in the meantime, thanks for the other suggestions!

I have picked up on a new author: John Connolly. Thought he was suggested here but couldn't find the posting.

If you like Jeffrey Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman, Ridley Pearson, or Michael Connelly, you might enjoy John Connolly.

I'm hoping to take Karin Slaughters new book on my next cruise. (Forgor the title) It is out in hardback but hoping the paperback is out before I leave!

I usually leave the paperbacks on board when I leave. Bit reluctant to leave a hardback though!

Hi, Johnathon Kellerman's stuff is too heavy for me to read

while on a cruise.

Even here at home I have to be in the frame of mind for

his stories.

Actually his wife, Faye writes some great stuff too:)

Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus Mysteries!

ILVMM, I do like those others, but don't recall having encountered John

connolly.

What's his thing? What are some titles?

Kman

I just finished reading Every Dead Thing. Not a book to read at night, but not in the way of Dean Koontz or Stephen King. More of a murder mystery and graphic in the way the original Psycho movie was. My local library had lots of his books...this one was his first novel and it's also the first in the Charlie "Bird" Birdman series.

I like to take only the funniest and most likable book character friends on vacation with me.

I'm hoping that the timing will be right for the next 2 books of favorite authors to come out in Spring 2008, and that I'll be able to resist reading them before the cruise:

M.C. Beaton's next Hamish Macbeth murder mystery, set in the Scottish Highlands, and

Alexander McCall Smith's next Mma Ramatswe escapade in the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series.

I'd like to try Janet Evanovich soon, as I enjoy humorous authors. So maybe by 6/08, I'll be bringing one of hers along too.

Keep laughing. It's good for the immune system. :D

Beach Chick -- I agree with you the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series are great and perfect for a good read while on vacation, but if there is no new one out before your cruise you might consider branching out into the Isabel Dalhousie series by the same author (Alexander McCall Smith), which is about a Scottish lady (amateur and inadvertent) detective. Not as good as Mma Ramotse, but it might be a good complement to the Hamish Macbeth mysteries. I am a big fan of reading mysteries while traveling.

It seems to me that a person either really likes his books or finds them totally boring so I never recommend them. I thoroughly enjoy his characters and am always eager to read what they are up to next. My favorite series is The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency with Precious Ramatswe, but I also like his Isabel Dalhousie Novels which are set in Edinburgh. I believe she is half American and half Scottish. The Portueguese Irregular Verb Series was good as well.

A little bit of Setswana pronounciation which really helped me, is as follows.

All the letters are pronounced.

The vowels remain constant...

A is "ah" as in father

E sounds like a long a as in way

I sounds like a long e as in knee

O is a long o as in so

U as a long u as in tuna

G is pronounced as h, so "kagiso" (peace) is pronounced like "kah-he-so".

To say Mma you hold out the "m" sound like Mmm-mah.

Rra has a long rolling "r" sound.

"Ramotswe" would be pronounced as "Rah-moat-sway".

"Potokwane" would be "Po-to-kwa-nay".

"Molepolole" is pronounced "Mo-le-po-lo-lee".

Hope this wasn't too long. I do find it interesting.

Margie

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading "Kit's Law" by Donna Morrissey and would recommend it as a beach/cruise book for the ladies. It doesn't really get going till about page 50 and then its terrific. I loved the characters. This is the authors first novel. She is from Newfoundland.

Too funny! ;)

I'm not cruising again 'til May, but I spend two hours a day on a boat (Washington State Ferry) getting to/from work, so I'll throw my two cents in!

Finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" last week...Khaled Hosseini cannot write another book fast enough as far as I'm concerned!

Just started "Songs Without Words" by Ann Packer; very well reviewed and so far, excellent book!

What I read most, though, are quirky memoirs; my two favorites are by Haven Kimmel -- "A Girl Named Zippy" and the followup, "She Got Up Off The Couch". I smile just thinking about those books! I think they'd be great cruise reads! Oh, and anything by David Sedaris...

*Sigh* I love books; and I've got an iPod, but it's just not the same...

Jenbo, I just looked at your picture--is that the Mercury in the background at Pier 66 in Seattle? I have a picture very like that from our Alaska cruise.

Second the vote for A Thousand Splendid Suns!

Am currently reading Pearl S. Buck's Pavilion of Women--fascinating!

What a great topic. Naturally, I'm going to recommend my book - Real Women Wear Red. It's set on a Caribbean cruise and it's definitely a light beach read. One woman just returned from her vacation and thought it was the perfect book for it. :)

What a great topic. Naturally, I'm going to recommend my book - Real Women Wear Red. It's set on a Caribbean cruise and it's definitely a light beach read. One woman just returned from her vacation and thought it was the perfect book for it. :)

Could you provide the author's name? When I did a search at my library by the name of the book - - came up empty! Thanks!

NEVER MIND! I re-read the post and found YOUR name! Am looking forward to picking it up!

Could you provide the author's name? When I did a search at my library by the name of the book - - came up empty! Thanks!

NEVER MIND! I re-read the post and found YOUR name! Am looking forward to picking it up!

:) Thank you! I hope you enjoy it! I just got a rave review found on amazon if you want to take a look. By the way, it's available on the regular online sites and you can order it from your local bookstore but the best price is directly from my publisher. Details on my blog in the link below.

I am so happy - I just ordered a bunch of new books for DH and I to read on our upcoming 2 week cruise: Now I just have to make myself WAIT to start reading them!

Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy Donald B. Kraybill, Steven M. Nolt, David L. Weaver-Zercher

Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope Jenna Bush

My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir Clarence Thomas

If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans Ann Coulter

Power to the People Laura Ingraham

Have any of you read any of these yet? We got a signed copy of Jenna Bush's book AND Clarence Thomas' book!:)

We are leaving on our Summit 14 night Hawaii in 4 days!!!!! I have some books put aside.

Raymond Chandler

A history of American Aviation in WWI.

A book of short stories by Chekhov.

We used to take more, but with the 50 lb limit on bags, you have to limit yourself and choose by weight! Maybe I will visit the library. I always enjoyed the Celebrity libraries. I was sorry to hear the the librarians were lost.

We go to yard sales or tag sales on the weekends and find old and new books for next to nothing and then leave them on the ship. For our up comming TA in Dec. we are taking Treasury of Southern Folklore edited by B.A. Botkin and Beyond the Body Farm by Dr. Bill Bass of the University of Tn., and Peter Taylor's In The Miro District.

Just something to read to help lead to another nap on the balcony as the waves of the ocean pass by. Yes, the X library really taken a dive-save money.

Bruton Branch:)

Archived