Take a rock home?

brandymleahy

Do you guys think it is against any laws or such to bring a rock home as a souvenir for my grandma? I'm not sure why she wants one she just asked me to bring her an ocean rock back from my trip. Would I get into alott of trouble or is it okay for me to do?:confused:

I think it is a fine idea, just make sure it's not to big remember you have to carry it home :p !!! Another great idea is to bring ziplock bags & get some beach sand from every port you go to.

I actually used those clear plastic bottles you can put your shampoo/conditioner in. It worked great and nothing spilled. I did put the bottles in a ziploc bag in my suitcase but nothing leaked.

Do you guys think it is against any laws or such to bring a rock home as a souvenir for my grandma? I'm not sure why she wants one she just asked me to bring her an ocean rock back from my trip. Would I get into alott of trouble or is it okay for me to do?:confused:

I read an article once where people of the islands asked for travlers to NOT take a souvineer rock or two home.......say a thousand people from just 1 ship a day took one rock home...at 1 or 2 ship a day average for the year......eventually it would have an impact. Not saying you can/can't or that you would get "in trouble"....just not sure it's right.

Would the groundskeepers of Your favorite ballpark let you take a lump of sod home after going to a game?

When we came home from our Miracle cruise we had a 20-ounce pop bottle filled with sand from the beach at Costa Maya. No problems there.

However, the guy in line behind us at the TSA checkpoint at the airport got stopped and his carry-on was searched. He had an entire pail filled with sand in his bag, and it was so dense the x-ray machine didn't know what to make of it. So you probably don't want to haul home that much. :D

When you say "Ocean Rock" do you mean a rock that was in the ocean when you picked it out? Don't do that.

Small life forms on the rock will quickly decompose, no matter how much you scrub it (Well you could put in bleach and leave it out in the sun a few days).

But if it's wet, it's got critters on that will stink up your luggage worse than packing dead fish in there.

Maybe buy her a seashell from a street vendor, or a puka shell necklace.

I don't think it should be a problem, but ask if it is in a park.. There may be laws that don't allow that....

One time we where in the Bahamas. We found a lot of conch shells on the side of the road. We decided to take one put it on the back of our scouter... There was a smell following us around that wasn't there before:eek: Needless to say we didn't keep it. We threw it away.. There is no way I was going to take it home.. A animal probably was dead in there... We where flying our own plane so the smell would have been BAD....We probably would have been cleaning the plane for weeks.....

I read an article once where people of the islands asked for travlers to NOT take a souvineer rock or two home.......say a thousand people from just 1 ship a day took one rock home...at 1 or 2 ship a day average for the year......eventually it would have an impact. Not saying you can/can't or that you would get "in trouble"....just not sure it's right.

Would the groundskeepers of Your favorite ballpark let you take a lump of sod home after going to a game?

Yep... that's exactly what happened to Not So Grand Cayman, the smaller, less appealing island cousin to Grand Cayman. Folks kept taking souvenir rocks home and finally the entire island disappeared!!!

;)

I don't think it should be a problem, but ask if it is in a park.. There may be laws that don't allow that....

One time we where in the Bahamas. We found a lot of conch shells on the side of the road. We decided to take one put it on the back of our scouter... There was a smell following us around that wasn't there before:eek: Needless to say we didn't keep it. We threw it away.. There is no way I was going to take it home.. A animal probably was dead in there... We where flying our own plane so the smell would have been BAD....We probably would have been cleaning the plane for weeks.....

Shells are not allowed, if they catch you bringing them back on the ship they will be taken away.

:D OMG. I would have laughed myself to tears had I seen security pull out a pail of sand from someones bag. I can just imagine!

When we came home from our Miracle cruise we had a 20-ounce pop bottle filled with sand from the beach at Costa Maya. No problems there.

However, the guy in line behind us at the TSA checkpoint at the airport got stopped and his carry-on was searched. He had an entire pail filled with sand in his bag, and it was so dense the x-ray machine didn't know what to make of it. So you probably don't want to haul home that much. :D

I've been in areas around the ruins in Mexico where taking stones or rocks of any kind could be a problem. In areas around coral formations I've seen warnings about taking coral whether washed onto the beach or whether you pick it up snorkeling. In the Colorado Mountains there are sign against taking stones. Most areas feel their natural environment is protected.My best advice is to be sure before you try and take anything out of a country or bring it into the United States. A tiny stone put away in the suitcase is fine unless Customs decides to check the luggage. Better to be safe than sorry and be sure what you are taking is approved.

Dont take any live conch shells from the ocean, thats against the law and picking sea grapes, stuff like that, but cant see the harm in a rock.

...well unless its a lava rock from Hawaii. They claim its bad luck to take certain kinds of rocks home. I think that started because if everyone of a million people took home a rock every year then it would be noticeable.

But a regular rock from a port I cant see the harm.

Cursed rocks......The most famous are lava rocks from Hawaii. the Goddess Pele does not take lightly to having her island carted away by visitors after the many thousands of years she has taken to build the islands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele_(Goddess) !!!

Yes, I see you beat me. Like minds and all. I lived in Hawaii for about 10 years and they try to stop it. There are also National Parks out west where there are painted rocks that its against the law.

Any rock that has been wet...any shell that might have been wet. May have biological matter in it. And Trust me Sea life stinks to high heaven when it's decomposing.

The shells you find on the beach are usually sun bleached..and picked over by critters, crabs and such. But there's not really a good way to tell. And rocks wet on the beach will most likely have sea-life in it.

Archived