Rio and wine

cdkempton

I was wondering if anyone has purchased wine while staying in Rio pre-cruise.

I'm wondering if you found a retailer who would deliver to the ship for you and if so, who & where. Thank you to anyone with info. BTW, we will be on HAL and they do allow you to bring wine on board. Thanks. :)

I was wondering if anyone has purchased wine while staying in Rio pre-cruise.

I'm wondering if you found a retailer who would deliver to the ship for you and if so, who & where. Thank you to anyone with info. BTW, we will be on HAL and they do allow you to bring wine on board. Thanks. :)

We will be interested, as the Prinsendam will be stopping in Rio next year during our cruise of South America.

I have been in email contact with a Rio guide who specializes in food and wine events and tours. So far, we have not signed up with him for any tours. You might ask Mike by email for advice on this subject.

riomikewines@yahoo.com

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks JC but we're going the other way on the Tri-Continent Soujourn. We go to three Brazilian ports after Rio then over to Africa and up to the Med. I know we'll be able to purchase wine in the Med but that's over 2 weeks into the cruise. Hate to pay the ship's prices for wine I can buy at home for a quarter of the price.

We'll keep looking. :) Thanks. Colette

Hello cdkempton,

We are also on the 3 Continent. However, we will be cruising in 2009!

It would be grand if I can find a review from iyour 2008 (?) cruise.

I'll be looking for you on your Roll Call when you return!

Happy Sails,

cruzzer

San Antonio, Tx

Collete, sounds like a great trip. I wouldn't be able to donate blood after that trip! We stayed in Inpanema at the Ipanema Plaza hotel. It was a nice enough hotel, and there was a small store next door that had wine and other similar items. If you are spending any time at all in Rio, you could get a cab to take you to a grocery store that sells wine. If you have the time before the cruise, I highly recommend going to the Iguassu Falls!

Good luck, and hopefully someone will post with real world experience.

jc

Thanks jc. I don't think it's a problem buying wine (hopefully there is Chilean wine available - they're making some good ones these days) but I was hoping to find someone that delivered to the ship. Maybe I'll just have to pack a collapsable bag that I can tote on the handle of the rolling bag. We're there's a will there's a way. Right? ;)

Colette

Rua da Assembleia, 65

Rio de Janeiro 20011-001 Brazil

+55 21 25320023 lidador@lidador.com.br

Open Hours: 9am-8pm Mon-Fri; 9am-6pm Sat http://www.lidador.com.br

Overview: Lidador is a delicatessen housed in a traditional building in Rio. It was opened in 1924 by Antonio Cabral Guedes and is still in the family, selling the same good-quality products... more

When you get to the site, click promocoes, then click vinhos (wines). The site is in Portugues, but you should be able to locate what you want. Remember, Chilean and Argentine wines ( esp Malbecs) are excellent values. I can recommend De Los Man Reservado, a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (2004) which is as buttery and flavorful as many fancy Chardonnays costing several times the $10 price. The Concho y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Reservado (non vintage) is also a great wine widely available here in RIo for about the same price. The Brasilian wine industry has a ways to go to catch up, but the local made "champagne" is pretty good ( Geiso or Chandon).

Owl61 - Thank you so much for the information. I have bookmarked the web site. We will probably be staying at the Intercontinental Rio Hotel and I'm wondering how far Lidador is from there. Do you know if they would deliver? If they don't, I suppose we can take a case by taxi back to the hotel and get it to the ship on our own.

I'm so grateful for your reply to my ?? I love the Cruise Critic and expecially appreciate the members from around the world who are so helpful.

Thanks again. Colette

Archived