"Looking to save" Senior

My theory is to wait to last minute and get a bargain rate. I'm interested in sailing out of New York during months of Jan - March of '08. I'm subscribed to last minute email alerts and will call cruise lines at last minute. How practical is this and any other tips appreciated.

I'm waiting to last minute because I'm flexible and like to to do things spontaneoulsy and not have to plan and then possibly break those plans. Also when I determine the cold weather in Upstate NY is too much that's when I want to get away.

evesty

i booked a last minute cruise once . . got sum saving but nothing really cheap! the key is research website and agents for deals. the long you go with one company the better the treat you. NY is great for cruise if you live in NY@

I left out of NY 4 times 3 on the legend and once on the princess. BC i live in CT its nice so i can risk those last minute cruises. . . i wished i live in MIA

I think it depends on the cruiseline? RCI's releases this past spring started out high and then seem to drop last minute. I could have done better by waiting as some sites gave an extra $50 off. Im just doing a short 3/4 B2B.

Carnival is still starting low and then starts to raise their prices, so on Carnival it seems to be better to book ahead of time.

I booked the last cruise in January ahead of time for 2008 and 2009 and I would really be surprised if the price came down to what I paid for our cheapie cabins. I thought the last week in January is just before you get really tired of winter, and it was the last cheaper week to book, February rates were higher.

I think it depends on the cruiseline if its better to book ahead of time or to wait. It also depends on what extra OBCs you can add. Are you adding a credit from onboard booking, from the TA, for owning the stock, these things I like to plan ahead and even if I lose some by booking ahead, the OBCs make up for it...usually. Cant always get the lowest price 100%, but I sure do try.

From my checking out prices, there can be good bargains right after final payment deadlines. We did this for our Hawaii cruise & the lowest price point was about 60 days out. (final payment deadline was 75 days out). I have seen some bargains closer to the date of sailing but that is limited from what I have seen. The bargains appear when the cruise sales are going slow.

Also, some of the repo cruises are decent bargains. There was a 10 day repo from Hawaii to Ensanada (sp?), Mexico that was $299 inside. My online agency had it for about $280pp. Also, there is a 13 day repo cruise from Miami to Barcelona for 450-625pp. (lower price-inside, higher price-balcony).

If you're flexible, you can get some nice deals.

F

Also, some of the repo cruises are decent bargains. There was a 10 day repo from Hawaii to Ensanada (sp?), Mexico that was $299 inside. My online agency had it for about $280pp. Also, there is a 13 day repo cruise from Miami to Barcelona for 450-625pp. (lower price-inside, higher price-balcony).

If you're flexible, you can get some nice deals.

WOW! I've seen some good prices but nothing like that.

Would you mind Emailing me with some info on where to find these deals. I can get airfares cheap at short notice o am always looking fo last minute cheap deals.

Thanks,

Lynne

baliaddict@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...
My theory is to wait to last minute and get a bargain rate. I'm interested in sailing out of New York during months of Jan - March of '08. I'm subscribed to last minute email alerts and will call cruise lines at last minute. How practical is this and any other tips appreciated.

I'm waiting to last minute because I'm flexible and like to to do things spontaneoulsy and not have to plan and then possibly break those plans. Also when I determine the cold weather in Upstate NY is too much that's when I want to get away.

evesty

Many cruise lines offer Senior Discount Special early in the booking phase and then as the ship starts to fill up they remove the Senior Special. SO, in my opinion, waiting until the last minute will NOT save you any money.

I had a client this summer that had seen a cruise for this fall for a very good price last spring, it included a senior discount, someone in his party qualified for this AND a military discount, he qualified for this. He decided that he would wait until the last minute and get it even lower. In late summer he contacted me and wanted me to find out the current pricing. Well, the price had at least doubled and both discounts were gone.

I say, choose a cruise you want to go on that is going where you want to go. Contact a good TA that will discount the cruise line price for you and give you an OBC and buy it. Your TA will watch the cruise for you and if the price goes down your TA will have your cost lowered for you. That is what a good TA will do FOR YOU. IMHO A TA DOES NOT CHARGE A SERVICE FEE, DOES NOT CHARGE YOU A FEE IF YOU CANCEL FROM THEM, AND NEVER CHARGES MORE THAN THE CRUISE LINE!

• 2 weeks later...
WOW! I've seen some good prices but nothing like that.

Would you mind Emailing me with some info on where to find these deals. I can get airfares cheap at short notice o am always looking fo last minute cheap deals.

Thanks,

Lynne

baliaddict@hotmail.com

Look at RC's Special Event Sale every Tuesday on their web site for last minute sell off. It is listed under Deals and Gifts.

Archived