What's your opinion on Freestyle Dining?

pezgirl43

We've done both and can see the advantage of Freestyle if you are cruising as just a couple, or perhaps no more than 4 in a group.

We actually didn't like the main dining room at all on NCL Star. It was a big beautiful room, but it was also noisy and crowded, we only went once for dinner. For breakfast and lunch it was fine.

But, the specialty restaurants are great. You feel like you are out to dinner in a more intimate, upscale restaurant and the food was great, far better than any cruise ship dining room food we've had on any cruise line before.

The biggest downfall for dining on NCL Star (we've been on this ship twice, our only NCL cruises) is the buffet. I'm not a fan of any cruise ship buffets, but it was absolutely horrid. The food, the ambience, especially the seating. It reminded me of a cafeteria, long straight lines for the food, long rectangular tables where others were forced to sit with you, as there were no optional smaller tables available.

While I do enjoy traditional and will probably not sail NCL again any time soon, I can appreciate how and why people prefer the option.

Nope, with traditional dining, there's no planning required, I know when I'm supposed to be there, so no extra planning required, other than if for some reason I didn't want to eat in the DR, then I go to the buffet whenever I want to. I don't want to show up and then have to wait for a table, nor do I want to have to put in a daily reservation. My experience in 4 cruises, no one has "expected" an extra tip, nor has anyone checked the envelope to see what I tipped them, and the service on the last day is comparable or better than any other day.

See above, I don't want to have to show up and wait for a table, or go through the hassle of making a daily reservation. It's just my personal desire, if you like freestyle or anytime, that's great, I don't want it, and will choose a line where I don't have to deal with it. Happy cruising everyone.

OK, I get it - thanks for explaining!!

We never had a wait, so I could see how that could be a major turnoff. I would think a large group would be harder to seat and may have to wait.

I also would never put in a daily reservation - defeats the purpose, IMO, and puts me right back into "be there at X time".

We are fans of "traditional dining", and dine this way when we have a choice. However , when we did a Transatlantic on Princess last year it was nice to try " Freestyle " . It too had some good , some not so good points. There was one particular night however when we were SO grateful we were on Free style .

We were sat on a table with a woman on her own, and an older couple. and it became apparent that the man was an ardent Mr. Bush fan...and the lady on her own definitely was not. It got more and more heated and uncomfortable, and ended when the single lady [ ? ] stuck her face in the face of the man and screamed " You must be f....ing mad, you ar.s..le !! :eek:

Boy , was I glad I did not have to sit by them again !! :D

I really loved Freestyle dining, it worked so well for us. We only waited for a table once (about 5 minutes on formal night), had great service, and really liked being able to eat when we felt like it. It was nice to have the flexibility to take a nap before dinner if you wanted to and not risk having to eat at the buffet because of it. We also liked the fact that we got a table for 2 wherever we went. We cruise to spend time together, so just having the 2 of us at dinner was wonderful. That was our first cruise, so it was my first experience with cruise ship dining, and we loved it so much I was hesitant to try a line that only offered traditional seating. In the end, price won out over freestyle dining, but I'm anxious to get on another NCL ship again.

We were sat on a table with a woman on her own, and an older couple. and it became apparent that the man was an ardent Mr. Bush fan...and the lady on her own definitely was not. It got more and more heated and uncomfortable, and ended when the single lady [ ? ] stuck her face in the face of the man and screamed " You must be f....ing mad, you ar.s..le !! :eek:

Boy , was I glad I did not have to sit by them again !! :D

That is a very funny story!

Barb

That is a very funny story!

Barb

It is a funny story but it could almost be a story that happened to us on our HAL cruise last year and we were 10 days with the same table mates. Our firends we were sailing with are staunch Republicans, one of the couples at our table were from Canada and certainly did not share the same views. Thoughout the seek more and more about politics crept into the conversation and more and more I could see our friends fuming. About 1/2 way through the cruise our friends had dinner in the alternative diniing room. It happened the same night the gentleman from Canada mentioned the Michael Moore documentary and said anyone who saw it would know how awful conservatives really are. Thankfully Marilyn and Dave were not at the table. Following night: in my not so soft voice I casually asked Marilyn how she liked the new governor of CAlif? I added, of course I know he isn't conservative enough for you but at least he is a republican. The couple from Canada never brought up the subject of politics again.

See why we like freestyle dining.

Nita

It is a funny story but it could almost be a story that happened to us on our HAL cruise last year and we were 10 days with the same table mates. Our firends we were sailing with are staunch Republicans, one of the couples at our table were from Canada and certainly did not share the same views. Thoughout the seek more and more about politics crept into the conversation and more and more I could see our friends fuming. About 1/2 way through the cruise our friends had dinner in the alternative diniing room. It happened the same night the gentleman from Canada mentioned the Michael Moore documentary and said anyone who saw it would know how awful conservatives really are. Thankfully Marilyn and Dave were not at the table. Following night: in my not so soft voice I casually asked Marilyn how she liked the new governor of CAlif? I added, of course I know he isn't conservative enough for you but at least he is a republican. The couple from Canada never brought up the subject of politics again.

See why we like freestyle dining.

Nita

This instance neither makes a case for nor against formal or freestyle dining . If you are on a table on formal dining and do not like the people dining with you , you request to move . Then , when you find people you do like the company of, you can enjoy their company the rest of the cruise. In the case of freestyle dining you could be unlucky and meet people you are not happy to dine with almost every night. Also if you do meet nice people, they are gone the next night, and you have to do the "who, where, what ? " and getting to know names bit each time you dine. Both styles of dining have their merits, and both are subject to the whims of not the "upgrade fairy " ..but the " dining table fairy " . :D

I normally eat dinner at 5:00, so I prefer the early seating. On NCL Wind (which I know wasn't really designed for Freestyle) they switched to Freestyle anyway. I believe the dining room opened at 6:00. The first evening we went to the dining room at about 10 minutes before 6 and the line went around the ship. We waited at least 30 minutes to be seated. The next night we went to the dining room at 5:30 and was first in line, but still had the 30 minute wait before the dining room opened. If I had to wait until 8:00 or 9:00 to eat, I wouldn't be eating at all.

There has only been one time on the RCCL Empress of the Seas, that left out of Puerto Rico, where the traditional dining was a slight problem. Our tablemates only spoke Spanish, but they evidently asked to be changed or went elsewhere for dinner, as they never appeared at the table again, and we had new tablemates that did speak English the rest of the cruise.

I was worried for my Alaska cruise, after reading on this board that HAL was going to the Anytime dining. Fortunately, on the Zuiderdam, they still had the traditional seating on the upper lever. And for my Med cruise next year on Princess I am confirmed for Traditional Dining Early Seating. So most of the cruiselines are just trying to please everyone. NCL I think is the exception that they only offer Freestyle dining.

I prefer the TRADITIONAL dining, and always request it. I enjoy the more formal dining room experience (it's one of the reasons to cruise). When my husband travels with me, he usually eats in the buffet as that is what he prefers (as much of whatever he wants to eat and he doesn't have to dress up to eat it). My travelling companion won't eat at the buffet, she doesn't do buffets at home and doesn't like them on the ship.

I wouldn't pay any surcharge to eat in an Alternative Dining Venue either. I've already paid for the cruise (including food). That's one of the reasons I cruise, is that it's all included in the price.

So it's whatever your personal preference is. You won't know unless you try it. The experience for everyone is different. You may love freestyle or you may hate it. NCL seems to be doing a booming business, so someone out there loves it, just not me.

Prior to sailing with NCL we never minded having a set time for dinner but now that our last 3 cruises have been with NCL we would not ever want to go back to a scheduled seating for dinner. We definitely prefer going to dinner when it is convenient for the type of day that we have had. Also, we have never waited more than 10 minutes for a table & that only happened approx. 2 times that we even had ever had to wait.

I normally eat dinner at 5:00, so I prefer the early seating. On NCL Wind (which I know wasn't really designed for Freestyle) they switched to Freestyle anyway. I believe the dining room opened at 6:00. The first evening we went to the dining room at about 10 minutes before 6 and the line went around the ship. We waited at least 30 minutes to be seated. The next night we went to the dining room at 5:30 and was first in line, but still had the 30 minute wait before the dining room opened. If I had to wait until 8:00 or 9:00 to eat, I wouldn't be eating at all.

There has only been one time on the RCCL Empress of the Seas, that left out of Puerto Rico, where the traditional dining was a slight problem. Our tablemates only spoke Spanish, but they evidently asked to be changed or went elsewhere for dinner, as they never appeared at the table again, and we had new tablemates that did speak English the rest of the cruise.

I was worried for my Alaska cruise, after reading on this board that HAL was going to the Anytime dining. Fortunately, on the Zuiderdam, they still had the traditional seating on the upper lever. And for my Med cruise next year on Princess I am confirmed for Traditional Dining Early Seating. So most of the cruiselines are just trying to please everyone. NCL I think is the exception that they only offer Freestyle dining.

I prefer the TRADITIONAL dining, and always request it. I enjoy the more formal dining room experience (it's one of the reasons to cruise). When my husband travels with me, he usually eats in the buffet as that is what he prefers (as much of whatever he wants to eat and he doesn't have to dress up to eat it). My travelling companion won't eat at the buffet, she doesn't do buffets at home and doesn't like them on the ship.

I wouldn't pay any surcharge to eat in an Alternative Dining Venue either. I've already paid for the cruise (including food). That's one of the reasons I cruise, is that it's all included in the price.

So it's whatever your personal preference is. You won't know unless you try it. The experience for everyone is different. You may love freestyle or you may hate it. NCL seems to be doing a booming business, so someone out there loves it, just not me.

I agree with you 100%... except for your statement at the very end. Norwegian sales are plummeting - they can't even give away their cruises now. $349 for a 16 day cruise and they still can't sell their cabins. $299 for their 7-day cruises - and they're also not selling...

We sail on NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival because we like variety. Our preferred dining time is 7pm. Unfortunately traditional dining times are 6 or 8.

DH does not like traditional dining, so we will only sail on those ships if they have specialty restaurants as an alternative to the dining room. We just don't like having to rush to get ready for dinner after a port day. Sometimes I may be relaxing by the pool and hate that I have to leave to get to dinner on time. On our last RCCL ship, we ended up missing dinner in the dining room half of the cruise.

My other problem with traditional dining is the 2 or 3 deck dining rooms because they are so large and noisey. I like small intimate restaurants like the ones on NCL newer ships.

Another thing we like on NCL ships is the different type of restaurants so we can eat in a different venue each night: Italian, Mexican, French, Japanese, American, Steak House, etc. It just makes the cruise much more interesting.

We have two cruises book in 2008 on RCCL ships with specialty restaurants, one NCL cruise coming up on the Pearl, and one short Carnival cruise where we have one dining room and no specialty restaurants.

We do enjoy Princess cruiselines "anytime" dining but wish they would use a different decor in each of their dining rooms.

6:30 is too early for us when ship is in port and 8:30 is too late for us regardless.

When we've spent the day in port we like to sit back and watch ship sail away from port, sipping our late afternoon cocktails while our son swam in pool or play basketball. Then we go in and get ready for dinner at whatever restaurant we feel in the mood of dining in. Japanese, sushi, teppanyaki, French, Steakhouse, Italian, main dining room, buffet. 7:00 to 7:30.

We like a variety of food. When we return to a restaurant we are welcomed back by the staff as repeat customers.

Our first NCL cruise (on Spirit) lasted 12 days, and our next one will be 14 days: we are looking forward to dining in every restaurant on Pearl.

One cruise we had the misfortunate of being seated at a table of 8 that included an ar**h*le of a young man who was also arrogant and rude. On the last evening of the cruise (our last meal together) he somewhat got up and walked off at end of dessert without saying anything - much to his wife's disbelief. The rest of us just waved at his back and said "Bye bye, a pleasure to have known you". Poor wife apologized and thanked us for our patience and left, running after him!

We are not fans of formal nights. We do dress smart casual in tropical clothing - white slacks and nice top for me and khaki long pants (no jeans - my rules!!) and nice collared shirts for husband and son. Last NCL cruise husband and son did bring jackets and they wore them on Xmas Day and New Year's Eve for dinner (and I had to dress up too), but after dinner we changed back into our smart comfortable tropical attire for the rest of evening. We vowed not to bother doing the formal thing again.

I agree with you 100%... except for your statement at the very end. Norwegian sales are plummeting - they can't even give away their cruises now. $349 for a 16 day cruise and they still can't sell their cabins. $299 for their 7-day cruises - and they're also not selling...

Where do you see these prices? I only see these prices like that for 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabins for selected cuises. The balcony's on my 11-25-07 cruise to the eastern Carribean have gone up twice in the last week.

Where do you see these prices? I only see these prices like that for 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabins for selected cuises. The balcony's on my 11-25-07 cruise to the eastern Carribean have gone up twice in the last week.

I subscribe to various newsletters from travel agencies - we cannot list their specific names on here. For instance, I'm looking at one right now at the 7-day Norwegian Majesty Bermuda cruise from Boston for $299 (Sept 30th sailing), 14-day Norwegian Dawn Caribbean Cruise from New York for $699 (Oct 28th sailing), 16-day Barcelona to Miami for $399 (Oct 9th), and the 10-day Norwegian Gem from Barcelona to Boston for $349 (Dec 3rd sailing). These all include port charges, by the way.

The point is not about finding the absolute lowest fares for a particular cruise. The point is that there's been a GREAT DEAL OF NEGATIVE FEEDBACK about Norwegian's "Freestyle", "Anytime", "Do whatever you want", etc style of cruising... as well as their most recent announcement that "jeans are now allowed in the dining room!!". This now opens the door for people to wear ANY type of jeans they desire into, what was once, an elegant dining venue. Some friends recently got back from a Norwegian Cruise and said that half the people (especially the teens/young adults) in the dining room looked like gang members - baseball caps, dirty sneakers, stained t-shirts, and loose, baggy jeans that they wore halfway down their hips...

Regardless of people's preferences and tolerances, I simply wanted to address the fact that - in response to another poster's comment - that Norwegian does NOT seem to be doing a booming business...

Happy Sailings whichever cruise line you choose.

Repositioning cruises are often great deals--especially traveling across cold ocean waters. They are not for everyone and often great bargains.

We are looking for Bermuda cruises next June and can't find any bargains on any cruiseline because of the high demand for Bermuda.

NCL Majesty $299 for 5 night cruise is a last minute rate--probably because that cruise only spends 1 overnight and a half day with a noon departure. Majesty usually spends 3.5 days in Bermuda so this is special cruise is not as popular.

We have two RCCL cruises upcoming that were fantastic bargains because we booked 18 months in advance.

We have an NCL cruise, 2 RCCL cruises, and one Carnival cruise booked in the next 12 months. We love bargains.

I get it, you and your friends don't like Freestyle. I do I thought it wasn't unusual for cruiseline to have cheaper prices to fill cabins since these cruises are all leaving in less than a month or so. I can see the transatlantic cruise being offered cheaper, not people can't take 16 days off work. I like NCL and it fits my lifestyle just fine. The negative feedback seems to be from people who have a dfferent expectation for cruises and that's fine. My first experience with Freestyle was NCL to the Mediterranean. After doing traditional dining I found Freestyle more my style. I shall not "bash" any other cruiselines that have traditional dining nor those that prefer that dining option. I will not cast aspersions on a someones character based simply on their preferences of dress for dinner, either.

Who wants to eating indoors at 6pm (if on first sitting) dressed like a penguin having just rushed back from an excursion when you could be on deck watching a dramatic sailaway from a spectacular port? Restricted dining times restrict your freedom and being on holiday is all about being free from constraints.

• Administrators
I get it, you and your friends don't like Freestyle. I do I thought it wasn't unusual for cruiseline to have cheaper prices to fill cabins since these cruises are all leaving in less than a month or so. I can see the transatlantic cruise being offered cheaper, not people can't take 16 days off work. I like NCL and it fits my lifestyle just fine. The negative feedback seems to be from people who have a dfferent expectation for cruises and that's fine. My first experience with Freestyle was NCL to the Mediterranean. After doing traditional dining I found Freestyle more my style. I shall not "bash" any other cruiselines that have traditional dining nor those that prefer that dining option. I will not cast aspersions on a someones character based simply on their preferences of dress for dinner, either.

Nod, it's always very important before making a decision for your own party to figure out what someone else's perspective is. As someone limited to cruising during "prime time" (I'm a teacher) I am (admittedly) jealous of those who can take advantage of the awesome deals cruiselines offer during off-season -- but I'm also realistic enough to know that those fares don't reflect the overall financial health of the cruiseline, PARTICULARLY for a repositioning/TA cruise. They have to move the ship -- whoever they can get onboard will add to their revenues.

As cruiselines go, Norwegian seems to be at least as healthy as most. I don't believe they'd have recently received an infusion measured in billions (with a B) if the investors weren't satisfied about that fact.

if you want a guaranteed table - one that you wont' have to wait in line for -- and have the same wait staff all week, who learn your needs and preferences and work hard for your tip

then you'll stay away from free-style dining.

I've never had to wait for our table. Not 10 minutes. Not even 1. It's our table for the week, our wait staff.

And on a lot of larger ships, there is alternative dining for a night or two that makes a nice change of pace.

But we don't spend the week standing in line or competing for seats. Maybe some people here haven't had to wait long, but clearly a lot of other people have. Why risk it? Free-style is for the birds.

Who wants to eating indoors at 6pm (if on first sitting) dressed like a penguin having just rushed back from an excursion when you could be on deck watching a dramatic sailaway from a spectacular port? Restricted dining times restrict your freedom and being on holiday is all about being free from constraints.

#1 I've never felt restricted about having the early seating

#2 If you're 20 minutes late, they still seat and feed you.

#3 If you're THAT concerned about having a view when leaving a port, at least on the ships we go on, those would be the perfect evening to not go to the dining room but to go to the alternative restaurants.

a quick web search found these other opinions:

"

I've been on @ 12 cruises with family and with friends on Carnival, NCL, RC & Celebrity. The one time we tried 'freestyle' we didn't like it: waiting for a table (or having to wory about reservations on your trip!), not getting to know your 'tablemates', not getting to know wait staff (and therefore they have no interest in personal service). On top of that you have to paying extra in a special restaurant for the kind of special cuisine that is standard elsewhere. We also found that we missed a lot of the activities becuase the ship's staff couldn't scedule around those set dining times and have a flow to the activities on the ship.

Call me old fashioned but I LIKE the idea of showing enough respect for each other to dress decently to go to dinner. If you don't want to, and you want decent service (which I didn't find on NCL) and a easy to follow activity schedule, I've never been on any cruise were there was a lack of food at any time of day or night even if you didn't go to the dining room!"

or this!

"Sailed on NCL Dec, 2004 with freestyle dining. Did not like it one bit. The only reservations were for the venues that charge a hefty surcharge and the "free" ones had long lines. Bothmy husband and I use canes and cannot stand for a long time which the hostess stand acknowledged but there was no place to sit down and the wait was still too long. We will think about this concept for a long time before we try it again. Plus part of the fun of a cruise is meeting new people at assigned seating. If you don't want to dress up, you can always go to the buffet. At the dinner seating, there were people in jeans, shorts, looking very unkempt, and scruffy looks and dress. All this in a beautiful dining room just did not mix well and took away from the ambiance. Also, service was not that great."

BUT some don't like it, but some do.

"We love free-style crusing on the Princess Ships, meeting new people every time we dine. We on occasion, meet someone disagreeable, but we remember there will be a new guest at the next meal."

or this

"We have been on 7 cruises and three wirth NCL. Why?? Simply because of the Freestyle Cruising. There's nothing worse the having Carnival pick out some Red neck for you to sit with every meal for 7 days. God awful!!! You have to dress up to go to wok, to go to a wedding, to a funeral, and when you go on vacation isn't it all about relaxing and doing so in comfort.?? We just booked another cruise to Europe with NCL and will continue to do so as long as they stick with free style cruising.We tried Carnival and Princess but there's just no comparision.

Thanks NCL for coming up with that idea.Most people love it .

It's the only way to go!!!"

But then again....

"My husband and I have sailed on 16 cruises, and took our first NCL freestyle cruise on the NCL Dawn out of NYC this summer. We found that unless you made all your reservations immediately upon boarding, it was difficult to make a reservation at a time we preferred. In addition, most specialty restaurants required a cover charge of $10 - $20 pp. Travelling with two kids, the cost added up and the food was not any better than the no-charge restaurants. We missed the more personalized service you receive with traditional dining and did not feel that it was worth the extra cost for the specialty restaurants. Overall, all the food was not nearly as good on NCL as it is on Celebrity, RCCL & HAL. If given a choice, we prefer traditional dining."

I dunno. Personally it wouldn't be for me. I agree with the first person.

if you want a guaranteed table - one that you wont' have to wait in line for -- and have the same wait staff all week, who learn your needs and preferences and work hard for your tip

then you'll stay away from free-style dining.

I've never had to wait for our table. Not 10 minutes. Not even 1. It's our table for the week, our wait staff.

And on a lot of larger ships, there is alternative dining for a night or two that makes a nice change of pace.

But we don't spend the week standing in line or competing for seats. Maybe some people here haven't had to wait long, but clearly a lot of other people have. Why risk it? Free-style is for the birds.

Tweet Tweet.

I don't care about same table, same time, same tablemates, same staff ...

Maybe I haven't had those waiters that 'get to know me and my preferences' that so many on these boards speak so highly of, but I don't think I'm losing anything with Anytime by switching servers.

Can't speak as to NCL's implementation, but waiting was not an issue on Princess. "competing for seats" does not at all describe our experience. No risk, only reward. Met different people, sat in different places in different dining rooms, had different servers most nights (just like I would have had at home!)

I have to come back to this because it perplexes me: what is this same-server, personalized service business? I've not experienced it. What's the special touch here, being greeted by name, having ice tea at the ready, or what??

Archived